Choosing suitable Eriba model for our car. 2 x 25kg electric bikes to carry too..

in We've got it down to a T Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:15 pm
by aberwolfies (deleted)

Hi everyone. At the very beginning here… possibly on the cusp of saying farewell to canvas after 40 years, and a hi to an Eriba. Input from those more experienced welcome.

Our V5 on our VW Passat Petrol Estate states the following: Revenue Weight 2050kg gross. ( 1395 cc) Max net power 110. Max permissible mass 2050. Mass in service 1451. Technical re towable mass of trailer braked 1600kg unbraked 750kg.

Veering towards self imposed max of 1220kg …( 85%). Looking at Eriba Familia and Triton models.

3 questions please:
A) We are very light packers and used to light travel. How much weight do others usually end up putting into their vans?
B) Two electric bikes weight 50kg between them. ( Not Brompton / ones which fold) … how best to carry? Rear of van or on tow bar?
C) Re carrying bikes if we carried them on a tow bar attachment would be better to search for say a Triton 430 where the front seating of the Eriba is going to be less heavy than say a kitchen area at the front. Would this help with stability bearing in mind the weight of bikes? Or do people think it wouldn’t matter?

Scroll up

RE: Choosing suitable Eriba model for our car. 2 x 25kg electric bikes to carry too..

in We've got it down to a T Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:25 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

In my view and in our case we are also light packers, personal goods wise. With a 23kg suitcase limit we are usually only about 15 kg each even on a long haul flight. Packing the caravan the main weight is accessories and gadgets. Awning and poles, hitchlock and wheel clamp. Electrical items like kettle, toaster,hotplate, convection heater, extension leads. All quite heavy.
On top of this weight your payload will be hit if you have a motor mover at 35kg and leisure battery at 20kg.
Haven't even got round to wine and beer yet!

I wouldn't want to hang 50kg of electric bike on the rear of the van, a real danger of the tail wagging the dog. If you put the bikes on the towing hitch you will struggle to get a reasonable weight on the tow ball between 60 & 70kg. Might have to take your gas cylinders out of the gas locker and carry them somewhere else.
Can you reduce the weight of the bikes by removing a few bits?
The maximum weight on the towing hitch is the smaller of either the tow bar maximum or caravan tow hitch maximum.
My 2007 Triton 430 tows very well at about 65kg.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
eribanaut and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Choosing suitable Eriba model for our car. 2 x 25kg electric bikes to carry too..

in We've got it down to a T Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:33 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

I'm afraid I agree with that wise man above. We have towed with a rear mounted carrier since Eriba ownership starting in 2003, but two carrying normal bikes at a total weight of about 30kg. Whilst 50kg is within the limits of a rear carriers construction it is a big weight hanging high up a long way from the vans axle.
I now tend to have one bike on the front carrier and one on the rear carrier. Whilst in theory this could give an undesirable dumb bell effect it does not as the centre of the van is loaded with heavy stuff such as food and awning.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:41 pm
by aberwolfies (deleted)

Thank you both… all a matter of getting head round everything in order to make sensible decision with as much information and understanding as possible. So appreciative of your time and good will.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:00 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 995 Posts

Don't get too hung up on weights, except the max towing weight of the tow vehicle and the MTPLM of the van the rest are just finicky.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG

Last edited Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:51 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105593 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0