Where to get a Thule Omnistor 6300 fitted?

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:08 am
by Totoro (deleted)

We are thinking of getting a Thule Omnistor 6300 fitted to our Triton 418. We live in Spain, so we are not looking for a recommendation for a dealer/garage in particular, only to ask if it's really necessary to use an Eriba dealer, or any caravan dealer/garage will be OK. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Scroll up

RE: Where to get a Thule Omnistor 6300 fitted?

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:17 am
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

You do not need to go to an Eriba dealer to get the 6300 fitted. To find somebody suitable I would focus your search on awnings and not caravans, although there will be some overlap. I'm guessing the Thule website in Spain have a list of suppliers and possibly fitters.
The 6300 is usually attached to brackets bonded to the roof and sits on the curve. I do not believe any bolts are used. This is unlike other Thule/Omin models that bolt to brackets around the awning rai. The 6300 does look a lot neater and is now offered as a factory fit on some models. From memory the fitting is a two day job as the adhesive on the brackets needs to cure. In the UK I seem to recall £1400 being charged.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:56 pm
by Totoro (deleted)

Thanks. That's really useful. Do you know what size is recommended for a Triton? They do a range of widths: 2.6m, 3m, 3.25m, 3.5m, 3.75m, 4m, 4.25m, 4.5m.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:26 pm

If you measure the awning track on your Triton you will find the straight run is about 2.8m before the curves start. As you go up the curve of the roof this decreases significantly, so I'm afraid the longest you can fit is 2.6m. What you will need to consider is the fabric width is probably 2.4m at the most and the projection is only 2.0m.
Have you considered one of the bag type awnings such as the Fiamma Caravanstore, with the current XL versions having a 2.5m projection The 2.8m length would suit your van and whilst this does drop below the top of the door, fixes are available. One is to have another awning rail bonded to the roof, about 80mm above the existing rail.
The advantages of this are it will be about 1/4 of the cost of the 6300 and you can relocate it to the opposite side of the van if you wished to, for example if using a full awning.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:29 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:43 pm
by Totoro (deleted)

Hi Colin,
Thanks for the suggestion. I guess this is the one you mean: https://www.fiamma.it/en/fiammastore-en/...anstore-en.html
Presumably either the 280 or the 255 would work?
And is this the adaptor you mentioned to "fix" the drop below the door: https://www.fiamma.it/es/kit-eriba-touring-es.html ?
Calling around here locally, I'm not filled with much confidence.

Thanks. Neil

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:40 pm

Neil,
the Caravanstore link is correct. We use a 280 on our Triton, but this is permanently fitted to the back. On the door side we use either an air beam awning for longer or wet stays or an Isabella Shadow for short or sunny stays.
The awning bracket link is going in the wrong direction. Have a look here and it should make sense. On Pre 2010 vans the extra track needs to be fitted 100mm higher, but on post 2010 vans this should be reduced to about 70/80mm I think. These are worth reading.
Fitting high level awning rail.
Project for spring

Colin

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:03 pm
by rs540 | 261 Posts

If the Omnistore is factory fitted then it is bolted through the roof in addition to being bonded. However, most awning companies such as Rose Awnings just use bonding as they reckon this is strong enough.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:23 pm
by Bathchap | 51 Posts

Depends on when it was built! Our 2020 530 had a factory fitted Thule Omnistor that was only bonded. Having taken it away in all winds and weathers it has stayed on so far without any bolts!!

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:05 pm
by Totoro (deleted)

Hi Colin,
For our Triton, how long would you recommend we make the rail for the 280 Fiamma Caravanstore XL? Exactly 286cm (the width of the awning)? Or is it better to give some space either side - so 300cm, for example?
I have found somewhere that will do it, but they have never added an extra rail to an Eriba Touring before. So I want to give them as much information as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Neil

Last edited Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:18 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:34 pm

Neil,
I have a 2017 Triton and I have just measured up my van. Do not divert from these sizes please.
You will need to have the centre of the new awning chord slot 80mm above the top of the existing gutter. This will allow the bag not to foul the door.
The maximum length of rail you can attach to a straight surface at this height is 280cm. You can probably go about 20/25mm longer each end but no more.
This will mean the bag is slightly longer than the rail but this is not a problem. You need to trim back the awning chord part of the bag a little each end as in the photo below. Make sure the cut has a smooth curve. The one in the picture is from a previous van that I cut back and many years later was fine.
e_top ends of bag cut away-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 19 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105653 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3