Restoring the shine on the roof gel coat

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:07 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

Our 2004 Troll roof has gone a bit hazed in its previous life. I'd like to restore the shine, but am a bit hazy myself when it comes to cutting and polishing fibreglass.
I have located this product which seems to fulfil the requirements, but wonder if anyone else has experience of this or wise comments please?

Rather genteel 2004 Troll 540GT pushing a couple of old fogies.
Scroll up

RE: Restoring the shine on the roof gel coat

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:01 pm
by Randa france | 12.864 Posts

I think if you use the search engine Robin you'll find that the majority of folk find the best results are by using Auto Glym followed by a wax polish with carnuba. I always use Simoniz.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

likes this post!
Last edited Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:56 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:56 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

As above, but if it is dull or chalky in the slightest then a rub with T-Cut first helps. Our last van had been stored outside uncovered for 5 or 6 years and it came up a treat using the T-Cut followed by Autoglym method.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:46 am
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

I forgot to add, work from the centre of the roof outwards. I did it the other way around and found the area in front of me dangerously slippy. I did not realise how much of a problem this was until I slid sideways when reaching into the middle of the roof. Fortunately I was doing the job in the garage up against a wall and this halted my fall.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:31 pm
by monoboard | 350 Posts

You mentioned about being uncovered, just wondered (slightly off topic) your thoughts on using a cover

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:42 am
by GCL | 122 Posts

Sorry, Randa, could you be more specific about the type of products? I am not an expert in the field. I searched on websites and found many and for a thousand uses. thank you

Land Rover Discovery3, 2003 Eriba Triton 430

Last edited Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:44 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:09 am

Giancarlo, these are the ones I've used for the past ten years. I've found once every couple of years is fine as long as the roof is shampoo washed regularly.

!) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-Super-...sc=1&th=1&psc=1

2) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simoniz-Origina...fQ%3D%3D&sr=8-5

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

GCL, Simboc2004 and monoboard like this post!
Last edited Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:11 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:02 am
by PooleDweller | 753 Posts

Randa - Shampoo and conditioner or just shampoo

Pat & Robin
2015 Eriba Triton 430GT, 2011 VW Golf Estate DSG 2L Diesel

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:13 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:15 am

Any will do Robin but stay away from "Was and Go". I didn't and look what happened to me.

Randa

Simboc2004 and PooleDweller like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:09 pm
by Captain Calamity | 342 Posts

I am reminded that, following a spate of celebrity endorsed shampoos a few years ago, Bob Geldorf jumped on the bandwagon. His was called “Go and Wash”!

Simboc2004 and mr_underhill like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:55 pm
by Captain Calamity | 342 Posts

Back on topic for a moment. If you have serious stains on the lifting roof you could try Grunt gel coat cleaner (available from the ubiquitous next day delivery lot for around twenty quid) Used by many boatyards to get rid of serious stains. You paint in on with a brush and then wash it off after 20 minutes. It is very very effective.. half a litre will do one roof.

Simboc2004 and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:31 pm
by Rickys Rav | 73 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I've recently done my 540GT - purchased some "Gel coat restorer" from a seller calling themselves "cleaning-clinic" on eBay. A small 120ml bottle arrived and I thought OK I'll make a start on the main part of the roof and see how much it will do and if it's any good I'll buy a couple more bottles (they are only £5.99 each) anyway the bottle did the main roof and the poptop roof with a little left over! - It's truly amazing stuff, has got rid of the chalky matt finish and now the whole roof is extremely clean & shiny - It was fairly hard work teetering on top of a ladder for several hours but end result well worth it.

Troll 540GT pulled by Volvo XC60 D3 R-design AWD

Aycee, eribaMotters, Doonhamer and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:10 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 33 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12516 topics and 105595 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6