Reversing my Puck

in We've got it down to a T Wed May 25, 2022 10:39 pm
by eranjiba (deleted)

I have learnt that when reversing, the caravan brakes may be applied due to the rubbery concertina bit (sorry, don't know what it's called) compressing. Old caravans would have had a lock that you attached to prevent this? I believe newer caravans sense the reversing and prevent brakes from being applied? I don't seem to have anything that allows me to prevent this happening. Is it simply a case that I cannot avoid it happening or is there a way around it. I think I did feel some resistance when reversing but as it was my first trip in my Puck (and very successful it was too) I have nothing to compare it to.
I would be interested to hear what people say.
Anji

Scroll up

RE: Reversing my Puck

in We've got it down to a T Wed May 25, 2022 10:58 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

I'm sure it would help members if you could give the age of your van and possibly a photo of the coupling. Owners could then advise if it was the norm for your age of van or if you had a possible fault.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed May 25, 2022 11:17 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

On my 2005 Puck the 'sensing' is a mechanical feature. It does not stop the brakes applying per se. When you reverse, the coupling compression applies the brakes the same as it does when the car slows down. The difference is the reverse rotation of the caravan wheel overrides this and releases the brake. So the brakes will apply momentarily while the override kicks in.

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Wed May 25, 2022 11:21 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 26, 2022 6:55 pm
by eranjiba (deleted)

It is a 1994 standard Puck. Photos attached.IMG_20220526_184423[1].jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)[[File:IMG_20220526_184442[1].jpg|none|auto]]

Is this clear enough? Adding a photo wasn't straightforward!

Last edited Thu May 26, 2022 7:18 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 26, 2022 10:40 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Your Puck is fitted with Al-Ko overrun (auto reverse) brakes, and from what you describe either the brake system requires servicing and adjustment or there is a fault which requires investigation and repair.

Ray Lawrence likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri May 27, 2022 8:50 am
by eranjiba (deleted)

Ah ok, good to know I have a mechanism to address the issue. It was serviced last month by a reputable service centre so I assume that was checked - will check. It's likely that it was doing its job. As I'm new to caravanning, I wouldn't know how reversing should feel. All I know is it was a bit stressful and I made hard work of it!!
Thanks for your help.
Anji

Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 20 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12516 topics and 105594 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5