Tow hitch rotation

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:27 pm
by Hebridean (deleted)

B98D226F-F371-41BA-AB8F-62DFDD669A2E.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)I’m towing a 2012 Familia 320 with a 2016 Volvo XC60 and I’m hearing clunking noises now and then and it’s not happening over bumpy roads. I’ve noticed that I can swivel the entire head about forty degrees to the right and back to the say twelve o’clock position. I’m thinking that this is the issue and that there should be no play at all. I’ve attached a photo of it connected which shows it’s not quite vertical on the towbar.

Last edited Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:29 pm | Scroll up

RE: Tow hitch rotation

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:37 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 995 Posts

I doubt it's anything to do with the actual hitch.
The hitch socket fits over the towball and the silver central lever with green/red bits showing at the end clamps around the towball neck to ensure it can't come off. The green edging on the red topped button indicates that the towball is fully engaged. The rather 'weathered' handle with red on the end engages the pads that also engage with the sides of the towball and inhibit unwanted movement, whilst still allowing intended movement eg turning corners. There is a possibility that those pads are worn and require replacement/reshimming.
The other possibility and probably more likely to cause the noise you describe, is that the hitch damper requires replacement. The damper controls the movement of the hitch bar in and out, smoothing take up and reaction as the car accelerates and slows down. The rubber bellows is part of the same system. If the hitch damper has worn out you'll often hear a clunk under braking and another under firm acceleration.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:45 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

As above, the green ring showing would indicate the coupling is gripping. If you are getting the rotation of the coupling whilst it is attached to the car something is wrong. If it occurs when not attached to the car this is perfectly normal.
Even on a good day these couplings can make a lot of creaking noises. Your towball has to be be shiny and clean. Al paint needs to be removed with emery tape and then wiped clean after a spray of brake cleaner or wipe of meths. Do not use white spirit. You should also wipe out the inside of the coupling.
We go through this procedure at the start of the year and several times through the season, depending upon how much we tow. This is typically 2.5K to 4K miles each year.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

, Simboc2004 and cruickie like this post!
Last edited Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:43 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:13 pm
by Hebridean (deleted)

Fantastically informative replies which I’ll address and hopefully have it sorted. Many thanks

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:21 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

This guide may be of interest stabiliser

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Randa france and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:32 pm
by Doreen the troll | 39 Posts

Hi, Not sure if this helps but I had similar noises on my last car and traced it to a removable tow ball .
I had it checked and it was safe and within tolerance for movement but the noise drove me mad. It happened during braking, acceleration and at random times, and sounded quite bad.
New car and fixed tow ball solved the problem
David

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 33 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105592 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3