Skirt

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:58 pm
by monoboard | 350 Posts

I’ve been meaning to get some skirt for the side of my 320gt, do some manufacturers put inlet holes in the bottom so you peg the bottom down from flapping, and any recommendations from brands or where to buy from

Scroll up

RE: Skirt

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:56 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

You generally have the choice of 500mm for a caravan or 700mm ? for a camper/Motorhome. I have bought the deeper as it tucks nicely under your awning carpet without the need for pegging down. Do not bother trying to cut a flap into it for your fold out step, just buy a cheap free standing step. This s also useful for when putting up the awning.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
monoboard and Williebraveheart like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:29 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

Wise words from the Sage.

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:14 am
by Simboc2004 | 648 Posts

I have to say I just cut two slits in my skirt and tuck it through the step and that works brilliantly. Why carry another step when you already have one handily attached to the underneath of your caravan? Our first Triton didn't have a built in step and carrying a portable one was a pain - yet something else to put inside in the way...

Each to their own :-))

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
monoboard, Pepé Le Pew and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:13 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

I must admit you are far more skilled with scissors than myself. I have attempted to cut two skirts to the Eriba step slot required and on both occasions failed to reach a factory grade result. One reason was the “tear” characteristic of the skirt material, another was I simply could not measure it correctly.
Even though we have a perfectly good step I have found a portable one is excellent when trying to get an awning into place or getting bird crap off the roof as I am vertically challenged.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Williebraveheart likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:01 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

When I worked in a sailing chandlers I learnt that when you make a cut in a plastic sheet material you end it with 2 more small cuts to make a letter 'Y' shape . This stops the slit spreading.

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:02 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:22 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Find yourself a sound wooden orange box, paint/varnish it and this kills numerous birds with one stone.

It's a door step, it's a step-up when fitting the awning, and turned upside down it's a handy box for carrying all the "arrival on site" hardware - e.g. Power drill and socket, wooden blocks for steadies, ramps etc - carry the box in the boot of the car.

:))

Dave

Dave & Taka
Cupra Formentor PHEV closely linked to Esther, a 1994 Pan Duo T
Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:50 am
by Randa france | 12.864 Posts

Dave. Quite a few years ago while camping in the Netherlands, our plastic free standing step broke and we had to go to the nearest town to find a replacement.

In the camping shop window there was just what we wanted, a replacement step costing 18 euros. Unfortunatly the shop was closed for lunch so we took the opportunity of doing a bit of food shopping at a nearby Supermarket. They were selling a strong plastic crate with 12 bottles of beer for 7 Euros. No contest and the crate has been our step ever since.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:29 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.110 Posts

I see both sides in this discussion.

I am with Colin in that my scissor or Stanley knife work is so poor and inaccurate I really have hesitated to cut an opening for the built in step to fit through the skirt. I think Simboc has more skill than me.........

But I also see the bit with carrying the extra step being a pain.

We bought a cheap single step which wasn't much use for me with my bionic hips in that the step down out of the van was difficult. We then bought a double cheap step which works a treat. Also like Colin I use it for putting awnings in the rail, especially the PopAir which is really heavy to hold. However it does frustrate me how much room it takes up, especially if I put it in the boot of the car.

The thought of a heavy duty plastic or wooden box doubling up is an interesting one...........but I am a bit heavy and Kath has a habit of jumping out of the van onto the step.
(she is lucky that she is so small that there is no danger of her catching her head on the door frame)

sometimes my solution is just not to take the skirt if the weather looks ok.......

A thought provoking post!

Might even be bold & try Steve's Y cut solution. I will post the success or not of this if I do

MikeT

Last edited Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:31 am | Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105592 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3