Winter storage tips please?! For a newbie!!!

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:55 am
by Marcel Devereux | 17 Posts

I have searched for tips for storing over winter but can’t seem to find any. Got a 2022 540 and after a final use in early Nov, gonna shut it down for a bit.
Anything you do would of course be great to hear about!!
I know about taking break off and no water in system.
We have a cover which will put over it (wasn’t cheap!)

Just more about inside and any top tips about condensation etc.

Thanks for your time.

Scroll up

RE: Winter storage tips please?! For a newbie!!!

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:42 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.463 Posts

You’ve got the basics sorted, no water being the biggie. We move all the cushions away from the wall, sit some on the table. Some debate over it but we leave a couple of windows on vent, under the cover, to encourage a bit of air flow. Having heard a horror story about mice getting into a van we also put a cork in the drain outlet and tape it into place, just remember to remove it before your first use next year. Also leave locker and cupboard doors open and the fridge obviously. Works for us, other folk will no doubt have some other ideas. Doesn’t hurt to open up occasionally and just check the van too.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Marcel Devereux and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:26 pm
by AlanC | 94 Posts

I would suggest removing your battery and taking it home to keep it charged up over winter.
Provided it is trickle charged for a couple of days once a month or so, then it will last for years.

Putting the van on a set of Fiamma tyre savers will stop the tyres from developing flats while in winter storage.

https://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Level...mma-Wheel-Saver

Alan

Liz and Alan
Troll 530 Touring 2015 now pushing a Honda CR-V
Marcel Devereux and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:44 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Our Eriba is spending it’s 1st winter outside after being garage stored since new. After listening to other members I’ve basically done as mentioned above. The van is on tyre savers, under a cover, all cupboards and fridge opened, cushions away from walls, bedding indoors, water fully drained down and taps left open, battery left in and hooked up 24/7.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Marcel Devereux likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:13 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.463 Posts

Agree with the above, we take our battery off and as from last year use Tyre Savers. Forgot to mention that 😲

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:13 pm

Seriously amazing. None of this would I have thought of! Mice in the drain outlet! OMG!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:06 am
by Simboc2004 | 658 Posts

I have a Rewire GPS locator in my van that tells me if it moves (!!) and also the state of the battery. I can't charge the battery in storage, so I have a couple of "old" Mini batteries that I will swap around to keep the power good (though the GPS doesn't use much juice at all. I can then keep the leisure battery on trickle charge at home all winter... that's the plan, anyway!

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:09 am
by Simboc2004 | 658 Posts

The GPS has another benefit - it tells me how far I have towed it this year - 1,782 miles - and for how long it has been towed - 53 hours. Nice for a nerd like me :-)

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:56 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

This is what I do when I put my van away for winter:

• Van washed
• Winter cover on
• Wheel covers on
• Cupboards/ lockers open
• Toilet slide open and lubricated
• Two moisture crystal containers (this one always carries a debate )
• Battery charged via the EHU once a month for a couple of days
• Tyre savers placed under the trye
• Handbrake off
• Seats pulled away from the sides of the van
• Van emptied of food clothes papers
• Cushions put in the house
• Taps open and blow out any water
• Water Containers sterilised
• Drains cleaned with disinfectant
• Sink plugs pushed in
• Drain outside covered to stop mice/insects getting in
. Fridge door on the vent setting
. Fridge external vent covers on
. Make sure all the poptop canvas is inside the van
• I usually check the van every couple of weeks and leave the door open in good weather for an airing

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:35 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 212 Posts

Because our van is stored at home it’s left on EHU constantly. Last year we used a 500w “Black heat” heater. The thermostat is turned down to just protect against frost - it got nudged up by Mrs gadget because “it felt cold” but that only lasted until the next leccy bill!
It will be glued and welded to frost setting this year!😂

Poptop320, Doonhamer and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:10 am
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

A quick tip from me. I drain the water from the system prior to departing the last camp site. I then leave both taps open and a lot of remaining water should get shaken out on the way home. Enough to leave the vulnerable taps dry anyway.

Also, don't forget to flush the toilet until that runs dry as well.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:24 pm

Superb checklist! Just nicked it! TA

Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:55 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi Marcel

Apologies I must have been asleep when this thread was discussed.

You are right there are some great ideas on here and I use most of them having read previous threads.

A couple of other things that we do:

Having expensively lost both taps to frost in the cartridge despite having our winter cover on, I am now neurotic about clearing water from the van. The balloon technique following by a final blast through with the air awning pump is vital. Then I now fully cover both taps down to the base with bubble wrap then an old woollen hiking sock, all held in place by a rubber band. I then cover it all with an old bath towel. I then use masses of old bubble wrap to insulate the areas under the taps and finish with more towels.

The other thing I drain thoroughly is the flush for the toilet. Even after you have seemingly flushed the last of the water in the toilet flush by using the EHU and the toilet button you won't have emptied the top tank. this is easily solved by gently removing the clear plastic hose that shows you how much flush you have left, from the top and letting this tube point down to the floor, this lets the remaining water dribble out - it is quite a slow job. I also gently turn the grey filler tube down towards the ground and let the water in the top pour out. I think I have a photo of this somewhere. If I locate it I will add it.

We have an onboard water tank as well so I unscrew the lid and dry any remaining water out with a dishcloth and paper towels. I also check that the hot water boiler is drained.

It's amazing how paying a £250 bill to have new taps fitted can sharpen your focus.

Like Poptop I give the van a wash with a AutoGlym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner, taking care to get as much dirt and green growth out of all the drainage channels. I then also give it a good polish with Auto Glym Super Resin Polish. its a bit exhausting but hwen we take to cover off in the new years it still gleams.

The other thing that I tried last year was when I had put the tyres onto the tyre saver ramps I put some of the tyre/wheel protecters on top of the wheels (the ones we use abroad in really hot weather to protect the tyres from deflation) with mixed success - one stayed on with the aid of some bricks but the other blew away in a storm. Jury is out on that one.

Like others I open the door and let air in whenever the weather is half decent.

Good luck with all the measures you decide to take

MikeT

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:57 am

Draining the top tank.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:55 pm

IMG_20201104_111611828 (2).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last years tap wrapping................!

This year's photo wouldn't load up

Since last year I have added lots of bubblewrap all around tap & base

Last edited Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:56 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 43 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105780 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1