Firestick use in France - Techie advice please

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:54 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.306 Posts

Our youngest is back for X-Mas and has generously ordered a Firestick for us, so we can access his Disney account. I suppose after paying for his return flight from Melbourne and him eating us out of house and home during this festive season he thought it might be appreciated.
https://www.johnlewis.com/amazon-fire-tv...remote/p5635928
Back on track, I believe when in France I may be able to use it if I have reasonable intternet [another story]. I should be able to simply plug it in the TV and access ours sons Netflix and Disney accounts as in the UK. Also, if I load and use it with a false VPN then it thinks I'm still in the UK and we should be able to access UK TV.
Am I correct and can anybody please advise if/how I can do this for free or is there an unavoidable cost.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:02 pm | Scroll up

RE: Firestick use in France - Techie advice please

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:26 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.074 Posts

Colin, you can try it at home to verify it works for you. You will, however need a VPN on the firestick. Google that and it suggests it's possible. Setting your VPN source to a UK location will work the same for any country, even at home.

To try it for free, however is the problem. A lot of VPN's have free options but most block streaming or torrenting on their free versions. One that doesn't is Windscribe which will allow 10GB per month if you register your email. That's enough to test it but you will have to subscribe to a VPN to a give you enough data for serious usage.

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:38 am

Thanks Steve. That's what I was expecting to hear. Hopefully I will be OK with some Netflix in France when we hve the odd day of rain.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:33 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

When we go away, I download a load of films on netflix so don't need the internet, and use TV Mucho for tv. I would be interested to see how you get on with this stick.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:34 am

I had not heard of TV Mucho, so I've bookmarked the site. I'll also try and figure out how to download off Netflix as I was unaware you could do that.

Thanks - Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 64 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105649 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3