RE: Mould

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:50 pm
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

Just retrieved my Triton from its outdoor winter storage location. It has had a cover on, but has leaked at some point from the awning rail at the front. Also, when I popped up the top at home there was a mould area on the underside of the roof where the fabric bunches up. Cleaned off easily, but has left a stained roof panel. I have sealed up all the vents and stuck my dehumidifier in overnight, but no water captured yet, so any leakage must have been minimal (will probably increase as the temperature goes up with the sun on the van...). Unfortunately the front wall inner skin has become "textured"

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:04 pm
by Marcel Devereux | 17 Posts

Well report back from winter 2023\2024. After last year’s disaster where the Eriba of 1 year resembled a stilton factory, I am glad I stuck to my guns.
This year Eriba covered again, same as previous year but with a dehumidifier on auto with the hose going straight in to the sink and not a spot of mould anywhere, so this was a massive relief as you can imagine compared to last year, so if you get damp/mould this is definitely an easier way to eradicate it IMO

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:57 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.004 Posts

As said you can always pull moisture from the atmosphere in a van because the fixed ventilation ensures the moisture content is always the same as the air outside. You can reduce the risk by leaving the van as open as possible inside to encourage air circulation and ensure the van is in an open area and not in constant shade of buildings or trees.
Having had nine leisure vehicles stored in winter in five different places over 18 years I've never had a mould problem and never employed dehumidification.
There's just one oddity that I came across with our new Bailey last year. It has it's spare wheel inboard under the nearside lounge bench and. the wheel has a sort of strong hessian like cover over it. At the end of last winter our cover was covered in mould and many other owners reported the same but like us had no other mould issues. To me that suggests that something in the material reacts with moisture in the air to create mould and if a surface or material is inert mould will not happen. I suspect that I'll find further mould on that spare wheel cover when I re ennervate the van later this week.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Simboc2004 and Bryn like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:55 am
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Ref post #5 of this thread:- ............................................................"We've had no problems at all over the years and the van retains it unique sweet Eriba smell."

Opened her up last week to get something. After the wettest, coldest winter we are having, I was afraid of what I might find but she is still as sweet and dry as a nut.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:55 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:01 am

I know mine is still leaking a bit somewhere along the top rail, so complete removal and replacement of the mastic bead is planned this year (it was last year, but the weather didn't cooperate and I don't have access to any covered space to work in). I have all the goo ready to go...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:25 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

Neck on block time for me here.
I would be surprised if the dehumidifier is the source of your Eriba being so sweet this winter. I can only assume it is because the unit is a desiccant dehumidifier. A more normal domestic compressor model cannot function effectively at the low temperatures your Eriba will have experienced outside over the winter. I've just done a quick internet search to check this fact and found confirmation "regular compressor dehumidifiers work well between 20-30°C, they stop collecting moisture below 15°C meaning they are unsuitable for colder environments". I was surprised to see the 15c and thought it would have been around 10c.
I believe the moisture that has been extracted will have been from the environment outside your Eriba being drawn in on the warmer days through the air vents in the floor.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Last edited Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:35 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:19 am

I have a small dehumidifier I pop in the van when I bring it home from storage - and that works well. But I do cover the ventilators - and it is warmer by then (I hope!)

I also open everything up on breezy, dry days - and that's probably the best thing!

Last edited Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:20 am | Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 47 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105683 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5