Jockey wheel motor mover

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:27 pm
by fishcultureman (deleted)

Hi all.

Does anyone think that a motorised jockey wheel would be any good on our 91 Eriba Pan? We are considering it to allow us to move the caravan a short distance up a slight slope as opposed to getting the standard wheel motor mover. Not sure if it even be fitted to the round Alko draw bar, and if, when raised, it would have enough clearance

This is an example:

https://rocwood.co.uk/product/caravan-mover/

Advice is appreciated.

Last edited Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:38 pm | Scroll up

RE: Jockey wheel motor mover

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:50 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Mr Shifta did a range of movers that locked onto the tow hitch https://www.shifta.co.uk/ and where OK. I briefly used a cheaper version that you swapped with the jockey wheel. This was made by Eurotech and you can still pick them up on the likes of e-bay.
I would not bother with one unless your driveway is smooth and level and you can get a very good noseweight.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:59 pm

Thanks. Would the Eurotec motor have enough clearance when raised? People suggest 150mm minimum. It would only be used to get the caravan up a 3 metre long area with a slight slope.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:05 pm

I'm not sure how/where the ground clearance issue comes into the equation. I know I had to drop the back of the van to get enough space to swap over the jockey wheel and mover. I could then get it level again and drive the van back into the garage. I had to locate the movers battery onto the A frame and lean down heavily to get traction on the gravel.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:16 pm

Ground clearance if it was kept on all the time instead of the original jockey wheel. Otherwise going over a high speed bump might wreck it.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:57 pm

I'm with you. They are not really designed as a replacement to be left on all of the time and I'm surprised it does not make it clear in the link of your initial posting. You would swap it over when you needed it. They are heavy and would sit low.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:45 pm

Get the feeling it's going to be a proper motor mover

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:54 pm

Another alternative is to bolt an anchor point to the floor and use a winch around the axle to pull the van in.I had some success with this method until I ripped the teeth off the winch pulling 1300kg of Troll across gravel. The idea was good and others have followed this route, I just did not spec the winch correctly.

Colin

Last edited Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:55 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:03 pm
by addisb | 169 Posts

Hi Colin,
Can I pop in here and ask how / where did you attach to the Caravan ? Was it to the jockey wheel shaft itself ? This particular method would suit our set up perfectly except I would need to attach to the rear. I posted a similar question regarding a motorised jockey wheel a short time back. Seems nose weight / traction is problematic which I can understand.
Chris

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:16 pm

Chris,
I rawl bolted a 4" x 3" length of angle iron to the floor at the back of the garage. This had the winch attached to it. The cable from the winch had a large hook on it's end. Around the centre of the axle I wrapped a length of thick innertube to protect the galvanised finish. With the front end of the van lowered I half crawled underneath, wound the cable around the axle and was ready to go.
All went well for a few occasions but then the teeth on the winch gave up the ghost when the van was neither in nor out. I think you will see from the attached why I needed a bit of assistance in getting the van in. I sold the Troll a few months later.

Its a bit tight 007-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Its a bit tight 010.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Its a bit tight 011-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

Last edited Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:25 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:09 am
by addisb | 169 Posts

Wow Colin..
Did you meassure the clearance with a feeler blade !! I dont think I would be brave enough to even try that !

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:18 am
by Simboc2004 | 658 Posts

Presumably you had another door out of the garage...?

I have a similar issue to using my garage, but it has no other exit door, so I have to be able to get out again, or be able to shut the door remotely once in

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:31 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 212 Posts

We have a mr shifta to move our troll into winter storage. - we still keep it in the back yard but nose-in for security. This involves taking it out up a slope onto the road and turning through 180 degrees before reversing it back in. The mover is really only needed when pushing it back out again in the spring.
We’ve never needed a mover when out & about luckily, so the shifta stays in the shed.
The only real issue we have is that the motor fouls on the wierd metal triangle under the draw-bar when pushing, but the puck may be different.

I had a great conversation with the original designer of the mr shifta, who is long-retired but still interested.

This type of external mover has its own battery and uses the standard hitch, so it’s easy to use.

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling a Troll 530.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:32 pm
by Simboc2004 | 658 Posts

Could well be something to resurrect as a project now that battery technology has moved on so much, although it appears that nose weight is the real issue - it needs to be heavy in order to gain grip. Our caravan came with a Reich Easy Mover fitted - I wouldn't have bought one otherwise - although, I have to say, it's amazing how flexible it makes the van. Up hills, tight turns, spin around in tight areas - i use it a lot and think that, really, it's the best solution, because it's positioned where the mass of the caravan is centred...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:10 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:22 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Years ago I purchased a hand winch - which was fitted to a metal pole (about 5' long) with two spikes on the end. I drilled a couple of holes in the concrete floor of the garage - to fit the spikes, hooked the cable around the axle and was able to winch a 6 berth WWB up quite a steep drive by hand - very low geared of course.

I haven't seen such a winch for a few years though.

Similar idea to the attached video. I also used this method to one-handedly extract bogged Land Rovers from pet bog

Winching

Dave

Dave & Taka
Cupra Formentor PHEV closely linked to Esther, a 1994 Pan Duo T
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105788 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0