Hello and Awnings!!

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:51 am
by Emily (deleted)

Hi, thanks for having me. Im very excited to be collecting my 1999 Duo T on Saturday. Ive been reading through lots of the threads. As the Duo is only a 2 berth we need an awning with an annex to accommodate all of us. It seems the Pop Air Pro 290 is possible but just wondering if there are any alternatives?
Cant afford a new one and there is limited availability 2nd hand! Thank you and apologies for asking about awnings again. I promise I did try to find the answer myself first!!

Simboc2004 and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Hello and Awnings!!

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:14 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Welcome Emily. Awnings are a nightmare as we all have our preferences but.....
The second generation Kampa Pop Air is a nice awning and does give the option of an annexe, but used prices being asked by some sellers are on the silly side. The rule of thumb on second hand awnings was 1/2 price, if you were lucky. Last year I sold a 2 weeks used model for a Triton for £450 with canopy and groundsheet. I did let it go cheaply as I needed it sold due to a house move and £550 would have been a true price. So my message on this awning is beware of prices.
Older frame type awnings do come up that will accept an annexe. If they come without one you will find it very difficult to source one as the awnings will have ceased being made some years ago and they never sold in great numbers.
If it is the floorspace you are after then you could consider a dome shaped Fortex Aronde that sometimes appear on the 2nd hand market. The model we had on on Famila was 4.5 x 3m, far larger than other awnings. New these awnings are well north of £2K, but good examples sell when advertised around the £500 mark and are a bargain.
Another option that some like, but not me, is the drive away awnings used by campers. Some of these are large and/or offer sleeping pods. The disadvantage to me with these is the often flappy tunnels and how they just do not look correct.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:42 pm
by Emily (deleted)

Ah thanks Colin. That's really kind of you to reply. Im sure Ill have many more questions over the coming weeks being a caravan/eriba novice! I did see the Vango Kela ones which are drive away and couldn't work out why more weren't recommending them but I understand now. Im keeping my fingers crossed a pro air will come up locally!! x

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:54 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.465 Posts

to the Forum. Another option depending on why you need an annexe (storage or children) is a pup tent. Most campsites are happy to have a small tent alongside a caravan and awning provided it’s not used for cooking in. This would then allow you the option of the drive away awnings or porch awnings.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:06 pm
by Islay | 220 Posts

I think pup tents are a great idea. Over here we often see pup tents, plus those ones that people use as a dining room like this .https://www.decathlon.fr/p/sejour-a-arce...=BLEU_TURQUOISE
I think it can be a cheaper option than an awning, but it depends on the look you're after. Just saw this one. https://www.decathlon.fr/p/sejour-gonfla...8561168&c=BEIGE It has a bedroom you can add to it too. I don't know if this type of thing is adaptable to an eriba....... someone will know.

Last edited Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:12 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:01 pm

I did say awnings were a nightmare and as others have mentioned pup tents I'll now confess my liking for them. I guess for some an annexe is the way to go, but it never was for us. Our two boys were into pup tents around 8 and 10. They loved their space, we loved them being out of sight, we did not have to tidy up the mess they made, they could lie-in in the morning, the cost of a standard awning and a couple of pup tents was cheaper than an awning and annexe, setting up and taking down was easier, etc

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:27 pm
by Emily (deleted)

Thanks Julie. That's a good idea. Means i'm not quite so limited! x

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:30 pm
by Emily (deleted)

Thanks all. Will now be looking at pup tents and cheaper awnings fingers crossed!

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:05 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

hi Emily

Reading the thread the idea of a pup tent seems a good solution.

A smallish light awning like the Suncamp Swift Vareo Low which we use at times instead of our larger & heavier Kampa PopTop might go well with it. We paid £160 new 3 years ago so following Colin's formula you might be able to pick up a used one for not much over £50, obviously if you can find one.

They were quite popular with campervanners before drive away awnings became the thing to have so there might be some about used. If you do find one just check that it is the LOW one that fits Eriba rail height and check that the length is OK. Ours is a 260

Good luck

MikeT

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:36 pm
by Simboc2004 | 658 Posts

Be a bit careful with pup tents - I used them a lot when my children were small, but some sites (in the UK mainly) won't allow them pitched near to you. I think the Caravan & Motorhome Club, for one, insist they have a separate pitch... they certainly used to.

As owners of a 2022 model Pop Air Pro I would say we are delighted with it - we also bought the annexe (and sun canopy) and it is brilliant, with its light-blocking inner tent. We had hummed and hawed about the expense, but it was the right decision - for us.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_3097 2.JPG 

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:39 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:15 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

The newer models with the annexe do look very nice compared to the original model

MikeT

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:33 pm

They also fit the newer vans much better, I am told. We're certainly very pleased - if a lot poorer...

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:29 pm

Just watch all those trip wires.

Colin

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:25 am
by Islay | 220 Posts

Is there a caravan behind that?

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:11 pm

You may have noticed a solar powered light at the bottom of each of those guy ropes. An essential addition to avoid too many trips...

It's not a layout for a weekend trip, though we have set it up for a three night stopover. Depends a bit on the weather, as it's lovely and snug on a day when the "lazy wind's a-blowing" in north Norfolk...

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Last edited Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:15 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 16 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105788 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3