Caravanning in Brittany - any site recommendations

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri May 05, 2023 5:24 pm
by Chris Brown (deleted)

Hi all
Having just taken receipt of a nearly new Eriba, our second, we enthusiastically started to plan trip to France. I have spent the last hour or more trawling the CAMC and C&C sites plus many others like Castels and Luxcamp websites for what appear to be reliable locations in Brittany. It seems that there are numerous issues with most of them - missing or broken facilities, cramped pitches, disinterested and/or rude staff etc. Many dont even seem to accommodate caravans ! Does anyone have any recommendations ?
Secondly i have also heard that the French authorities can make it uncomfortable for UK caravaners - is this correct ?

Any guidance gratefully received

Many thanks

Scroll up

RE: Caravanning in Brittany - any site recommendations

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri May 05, 2023 6:25 pm
by Old Rocker | 491 Posts

Buy the ACSI card, comes with booklets listing campsite inspected by them selves. Card gives discounts for out of main season pitches but use the books to identify campsites in the area you want to visit unless you are travelling in peak season there is usually no need to book in advance We will be over there in June and wont book in advance except for our favourite site which we know from past experience is very popular

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Now all he believes are his eyes, and his eyes they just tell him lies
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun May 07, 2023 9:35 am
by Islay | 215 Posts

Hi. I live in Brittany so maybe I can help. The first thing to say is that the French have no interest whatsoever in making life difficult for British tourists. I don't know where this idea comes from. Sigh.

Secondly, Brittany is big. Where would you like to go? Do you like to be by the sea? In forests? Are you interested in the myths and legends of Brittany?Do you want a campsite with views, swimming pools? Quiet and peaceful? Which ferry port will you be arriving at? I'll do my best to help :))

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon May 08, 2023 4:14 pm
by MartinRobbo | 8 Posts

Our experience in over 30 years of camping in Brittany has never been less than positive - just in case you're feeling isolated in flying the flag for the French :)

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 09, 2023 8:23 am
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

I would rather camp in France than pretty much anywhere else. I suspect I may not be alone in that view. One word of advice. Do try and get a little bit of French. I do wonder whether when people report bad experiences it is as a result of the expectation that everyone speaks English. SImple phrases as Hello, please and thank you can go a long way. Politeness with the use of Madame or Monsieur will also help. The effort alone will be appreciated...

As far as recommendations as to campsites, it all depends on what sort of place you are looking for. Me, I love small Municipals. other may look for flume pools and a pizzeria. Just depends...

Islay and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 09, 2023 9:03 am
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

Chris, we have visited campsites in France since 1999/2000. We have always been made welcome and in over 40 sites visited only come across a few with tired but still clean and serviceable facilities, a couple of small pitches [oh, they were in Italy] and one offish receptionist.
Camping on the continent is an absolute joy compared to UK sites. Facilities are better, prices lower and you can park how you like on your pitch. After 30 seconds getting orientated the roads they make driving a pleasure and are definitely a step up from our network. The [generally avoidable] tolls are expensive though. No matter which roads you take you will have roadside Aires that often resemble a park to stop at and use the loo. If you avoid tolls you can also generally still make great time, see wonderful scenery and fill up with cheap fuel on the out of town hypermarkets.
The drawbacks are crossings are expensive and breakdown cover is a must. Do not rely on your usual cover as the van will not be covered if away from the car. If you are away for more than a couple of weeks you are going to experience a cheaper holiday than in the UK, especially if out of school times and have a wonderful time. I'd go as far as to say you would not prefer to take a long UK holiday again.
Look up ACSI and join if you can avoid peak time school holiday, you will save a small fortune. UKCampsites website is also excellent for searching sites with thousands of reviews.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Aaron Calder and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 09, 2023 7:46 pm
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

Many years ago we camped at the Camping International de la Hallerais - just outside Dinan - and had a great time. Then it was on the Caravan Club list of European sites. It still seems to rate good reviews online. Dinan itself is stunning. Have been there a number of times over the years. And it's not far from Dinard and St Malo on the coast - again lovely places. it's always good to camp some way inland in high season - much less crowded!

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed May 10, 2023 12:26 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

Some years ago (2CV and borrowed tent) we stayed at 'Camping des Abers' at Landéda. It's about as far west as you can go in Brittany and has direct access to the most fabulous beaches with ocean views and small islands you can walk to at low tide.

We enjoyed it so much we returned during our VW camper days. I don't know what it's like now but it was a really lovely, friendly site with Breton singing and folk dancing evenings (Fez Noz?').

Perhaps someone who has visited more recently could comment? It was listed in the 2019 ACSI book.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed May 10, 2023 4:36 pm
by Islay | 215 Posts
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 17 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105676 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1