tyre inflation

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 06, 2023 2:47 pm
by scouteralf | 114 Posts

As we are about to go for our first trip out i have spent this week doing general checks on our Troll, especially the tyres.
Both tyre were replaced at the start of last season and during winter month i generally put a few extra pounds of pressure in them i also use tyre saver to spread their load.
This week the both looked in good condition and at correct pressure. on checking with my pressure gauge one returned only 4 PSI both myself and my a friend looked at the try and could not believe it. It felt and looked fine. Out came the compressor and it was pumped upto 46 PSI checked it over several days and it has not lost any air.
Just goes to show how you could be deceived and would have not gone far before a problem.
Fair to say i will be checking it often whilst away.
As anybody else seem anything similar.

troll 530GT pushing Kia sportage awd
Scroll up

RE: tyre inflation

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 06, 2023 3:54 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

If your readings were correct there is something wrong. Either a slow puncture or leaking valve. Either way I would have the wheel off and get it closely examined. Whilst you can lose a nominal amount of pressure over a few months this is an extreme case which should set warning bells ringing.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Mercedes GLA 220d 4Matic
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 06, 2023 6:03 pm
by scouteralf | 114 Posts

Yes that was my thought, tried water around the valve and no bubbles or any sign of any air leak. checked it over the last four days and no loss of pressure.

not going too far next week or will watch it carefully, may take it off and get it checked. it is about right for the week, with new pump needed for the toilet
sticking pump on the kitchen sink and a new tap fitted to the wash basin in the toilet, replaced old tap with one minus the shower extension, much better easier to fill tank in cupboard, and never used it as a shower tap.

troll 530GT pushing Kia sportage awd
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 06, 2023 7:19 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Has your Troll got alloy wheels? Moisture can get in and the aluminium oxidize/corrode. When a new tyre is fitted it may not have been seating correctly. Sometime if they are refitted and gone over with abrasive then the tyre will sit better. I'd have thought this and a pair of new valves would sort the problem out.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Williebraveheart likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2