Noob Pan Familia 320 owner!

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:26 am
by GDawg (deleted)

Greetings

So I have just put a deposit down on a 1998 Pan Fam 320 van and pick it up weekend of 24th June as we have had to wait for a towbar to be fitted to my car. I'll be dragging it with a 2017 BMW 118d Sport and we've planned our first trip away for a long weekend 20th July. We've booked to go to Sandwich, so looking forward to it.

I have towed a number of trailers over the years (some heavier than this van) so not too worried about that generally, but we are virgin 'caravanners', so any hints or tips greatly appreciated.

I know the owner, so he'll be handing 'Mabel' over to us. My wife has named the van and cue how many people who have a van of the same name to get in touch!

Speak soon!

Gordon & Karen

Randa france, and HDI163 like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Noob Pan Familia 320 owner!

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:30 am
by Islay | 220 Posts

Many happy outings!!!

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:33 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Welcome to the forum and your impending new arrival. If you have not yet lined up a tow bar fitter then try PF Jones. They have an excellent reputation and supply and fit throughout the country. Choice of bar is up to you but consider the full 13 electrics option with a dedicated vehicle harness so you can run the fridge when travelling and charge your caravan battery. Wing mirrors are also a must have for the peace of mind given by the extra view and legal reasons. EMUK are the best available but difficult to source. Milenco Aero are used by the majority.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:46 am
by GDawg (deleted)

Thanks Colin,

Towbar is sorted and with 13 pin leccy. Also vehicle dedicated connection, so hopefully be pain free usage. Didn't opt for the £60 box to silence rear parking sensors, I'll live with that and hopefully everything will work okay.

I had seen PF Jones but found someone local (West Sussex) who sounded like they knew what they were doing! Gets fitted Monday and pick up the van on Sunday.

Do I really need the wing mirrors? Is it a legal requirement? With the relative narrowness of the van, I thought it was okay without.

Cheers.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:16 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Gordon, the debate on wing mirrors has been a long going one as the vans are so narrow. If you do an internet search you will find the diagram on what you must be able to view, but the short answer is if the van is wider than the back of your car you will need mirrors. When you fit them you will be surprised at how much you can see. My bit of advice would be when it comes to choosing between flat and curved towing mirrors to go with those that are closest to what your car has so judging distances is easier.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

RE: Noob Pan Familiar 320 owner!

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:48 pm
by devonsue (deleted)

to family Eriba. We wish you happy Eribaing.

Trolly Dolly 540 flown by Kia Sportage
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:27 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.465 Posts

we didn’t need mirrors legally with our PuckL and Multipla but got them when we changed tow car. Now have a Troll so I believe we need them. They do make a difference and even if you don’t need them legally do you really want to waste your time arguing with the nice policeman who pulls you over for not having them. Especially if you’re abroad.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:23 am
by granddadgrape | 1.562 Posts

Liz & Alan
Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 15 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105788 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0