2-way Compressor Fridges

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:49 am
by paulj | 11 Posts

I have a 2002 Familia 320GT and I am wondering whether to replace my current 3-way Electrolux fridge with a 2-way compressor fridge, as often found in campervans.

Have any of you gone down this route, and if so how did you get on? Did you need to fit a second leisure battery? Did you find a fridge which fits in the hole vacated by the current fridge?

I understand they are more efficient on 12v compared to 3-way absorption fridges. My leisure battery is always full thanks to the 100w solar system fitted by John England last year, so it seems silly not to use this free energy instead of gas. I have switched from Calor to Safefill already, but even Autogas stations are in short supply across the UK.

Scroll up

RE: 2-way Compressor Fridges

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:51 am
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

I think you will need somebody who is really on the ball as regards electrics on this one, but I'd be surprised if it would be a realistic option.
The fridge would probably draw 5 amp, as I'm assuming 60 watt at 12v. I believe the worst thing you can do is run your battery down to a very low level, so could your solar charger keep up with that or would you need a 2nd pre-charged battery as a buffer?
I think your best bet would be to get back to John for his advise.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:52 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:33 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

This is a very timely question as I have been researching the same thing due to the impending withdrawal of my gas bottle size.

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:06 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.004 Posts

I had 12v compressor fridges in both of our Horizons Unlmited PVC's. They're much easier to live with than the absorption type, just switch on and go. They can be noisy, especially noticeable in the quiet of night. It seems to be the luck of the draw whether you get a quiet or noisy one. The fully charged 80 a/h battery in our vans lasted about 1.5 days before the voltage went below the fridges minimal operating voltage. That was without a solar panel. HTH

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:43 pm
by rp163 | 5 Posts

I've got a troll 535 with a thetford compressor fridge and a single 95Ah agm battery fitted.
The fridge draws about 4amps, but not continuously. It depends on the ambient temperature and the temperature the fridge is set to, so it draws 4amp maybe 3 or 4 times per hour and then only for a few minutes.

I've made a portable solar panel (230 Watts) and have an mppt solar regulator.

I'm using it as I type this from a campsite and can say the panel is more than capable of keeping the fridge running 24/7. I turn the panel at night to face the early morning sun and find the battery is fully charged and getting a float/trickle charge when I get up. As soon as the fridge powers up the panel supplies what power is needed.

I should add I have a spare battery in my vehicle but have never needed to use it in the Eriba.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:19 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.460 Posts

Totally ignorant on all this. We have the standard Eriba fridge. When we were away in June one site had us on metered electric, eating a pound at a time. We seemed to use a lot of electric, the fridge (the only thing running) used 70p overnight. Question is, is my fridge faulty or was the site charging too much for the electric? Or is that question the equivalent of “how long is a piece of string”?

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:26 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

I think your fridge is about 65w. So if it ran for 12 hours non stop at 65w that would use 0.8Kw. The site must have been charging about £0.90Kw. That does sound very expensive as domestic rate was about £0.33 in June.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Julie Grafo and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 47 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105684 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1