Electric frying pans

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:23 pm
by tim007 (deleted)

New to using this site! I am looking to purchase an electric frypan for use in my Eriba Familia. There seems to be a potential issue around overloading the electric supply at sites depending on the wattage of the item. Does anyone have any recommendations or comments about the maximum wattage that should be used? Thanks

Scroll up

RE: Electric frying pans

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:12 am
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

Hi, Welcome. Electric frying pans seem to use around 1500 watts / 6/7amps. This should cause you no trouble providing you are careful with anything else you want to use at the same time providing you stay in the UK where you will most likely have 15 amp supply. Assuming you are cooking for two a Remoska could be a better bet but as mentioned in another post the Vango induction hobs could be the real deal for you where you could use one hob to fry on and the other to cook accompaniments or just boil a kettle. You may need to purchase suitable pots and pans but it is worth it in the end.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed.
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:43 am
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

My wife and I manage perfectly well with a single Tefal IH210840 induction hob - 6 outputs (low temperature, simmer, boil, boost, stir-fry, and fry) varying from 400W to 2100W, though we hardly ever use more than the two lowest settings - it's hotter than the descriptors suggest. We used it in France last summer with no issues at all, running the fridge on mains at the same time, also occasional kettle, coffee pod machine, milk brother and toaster use. It boils water much faster than the low power kettle we use (Quest 1000W). The hob's only drawback was bleeping all the time, so i removed the metal disc from the buzzer unit and all is now blissfully quiet - though the fan is quite noisy. So far we have always used it on the table attached to the side of our Triton in the awning. We initially trialled it for a friend who runs the Caravan Finder site (and programmes on Sky).

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Randa france, SOULBLUESMAN68 and HDI163 like this post!
Last edited Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:56 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:35 am
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

Same here. An Andrew James single induction hob. It starts up at mid temperature so you can adjust dowmwards to suit the campsite ampage. We've used it on sites with only 3 amps on offer before now. Just don't use the kettle or toaster at the same time.

Not used gas for years.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Simboc2004 and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:09 pm
by tim007 (deleted)

Thank you everybody. Some really useful advice and certainly food for thought. We will certainly be looking at the Induction Hobs as an alternative

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:32 pm
by Tennyson (deleted)

We use a Ninja Speedy, great bit of kit plus it fit in a floor locker.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:57 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.119 Posts

If anyone is buying a double induction hob just check that you take pans that are not too large for the hob space.

Muggins here took a frying pan that worked with induction but it was too large to fit properly with a medium saucepan to cook the pasta - you live & learn.....!

MikeT

Steve and Debbie and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:55 am
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

We are another convert to the induction hob. We bought a Tefal some years ago and use this either on top of the Eriba.s gas hob or outside on an extension lead when the weather is nice. Ikea do a very nice small unit and if buying now I would be looking at that.
The important thing is to use it on the lower settings and then you have no issues with low amperage French sites.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Simboc2004 and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:46 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

I thought induction hobs had a fixed power level and cooked at lower temperatures by pulsing on and off ?

If so the 'lower' setting could still trip low amp hookup ?

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:57 am
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

Most induction hobs are measured in watts and have a range from 200 to 2000 watts. Our Andrew James one, when powered up gives you 1200 watts which you can turn down (or up) as desired. At 1200 watts / 240 volts, you'll need a campsite that gives you a minimum of 5 amps. This is usually provided and Mrs R doesn't need to reduce the wattage. You only need 8.3 amps to use it at full power but that has never been necessary.

Amps = watts divided by volts

Amps = 2000 watts divided by 240 volts = 8.3 amps

We've been using one for years and this is our second Andrew James one. We don't use any other method of cooking as the missus is a mystro at one hob cooking.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:52 am
by Islay | 216 Posts

I take a Remoska and double electric hob. I never cook in the van so have a pretty nice folding "kitchen" to put outside.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:13 pm
by tim007 (deleted)

Well - thats given us lots of advice! Needless to say we will investigate further than just electric frying pans. Thank you all. Tim

Islay likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:47 am
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

I do wish that Eriba would seriously think about the standard layout of their vans. We find the hanging wardrobe only partially useful - and generally two thirds empty. And we have used the gas heater only once in three Tritons. I would rather have a larger fridge and freezer with a built in microwave above. And then a storage cupboard above. There might also be room for a small full length hanging cupboard too. Taking out the heater would free up a lot of room and weight, once you remove the chimney, piping, etc. I am tempted to do a conversion, but it would probably make it unsaleable.

I would also be a fan of a roof "window" above the kitchen area, for more light and ventilation. The kitchen gets very stuffy, very quickly if you use the gas hob. I know that Leisure First trialled this in a special edition, but it didn't come to anything. Perhaps because of the height intrusion into the pop top? The extra height pop top would sort that.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:08 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.119 Posts

We also never use our gas heater - probably not used it for 5 years. We use a little oil-filled rad to give some background heat and it we use it in really cold weather use a quietish fan heater.

We also don't use the gas hob very often as we prefer to cook in the awning

MikeT

Simboc2004 and Islay like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
7 Members and 16 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105705 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 7