12v fridge operation

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:01 pm
by Rampant_Weasel | 11 Posts

my fridge works on 12v with the engine running as i can see the red light illuminated on the switch, but you can tell its been off during travel as the fridge warms up and the light is often off after driving a while, indicating intermitent power.
it did this only old car also so i think the car is ok and must be caravan side.
any ideas of the cause and the easy things to check first before contacting a repairer ?

Scroll up

RE: 12v fridge operation

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:32 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

What car do you have and does it have stop/start technology? It may be the alternator does not have anything to spare.
But what you are describing is normal. When you turn the fridge off mains power hook up and revert to 12v it will warm up. We always run our fridgeon mains power for at least 24 and preferably 48 hours before setting off on a long run. We also use a frozen meal and ice packs if possible to help keep the temperature down.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:45 pm

toyota rav4 diesel, i know about cooling it down first and the 12 v maintains the coolness etc, but surely the red light switch should be illuminated constantly ?
i run dometic rc1200 in the boot off 12v and it works perfectly off a 12v cig lighter socket

Last edited Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:46 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:04 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

This does sound like a smart alternator turning off after the battery has been topped up after starting. There's a discussion here

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-toget...technology-etc/

Steve

HDI163 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:04 pm

The exterior fridge lights on our first 3 Eriba's, 2001, 2006 and 2007 definitely used to flick on and off and did not run continually. On our 2017 Triton I do not recall an exterior light.
We also run a second fridge/freezer, a dual voltage Combicool. I believe this is more efficient on 12v than our caravan fridges have been on 12v.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:28 pm

thanks Colin, even with perfect operation it sounds like i maybe flogging a mediocre horse here !
ill look into combicool it sounds a better fix for cooling on the move

Last edited Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:29 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:10 pm

My mistake, it is a Tristar Hybridcool. It is/was sold under different names. On mains voltage it can be run as a freezer and will hold -15c even when the temperature is the high 30's. It can also be used as a fridge. On 12v it will hold 20 below ambient, which in an air conditioned car is perfect between sites.
This would be a useful start, but links will now be out of date Fridge - Freezer - Coolbox

Colin

I've just found this :- https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/outdoo...mpressor-cooler
It appears to be the latest generation with a flash temperature display, that mine does not have.

This looks like mine:- https://www.leisureoutlet.com/179694-mob...-coolbox-12230v

Last edited Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:20 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:56 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.001 Posts

The cool box will be a compressor unit, like your fridge at home. The Eriba units are absorption types, a different modus operandi.
If your towbar has model specific wiring and software it should turn off the car's alternator energy saving system, so that it supplies power whenever it's running. Cheaper non specific wiring doesn't do that and the alternator stops producing power once the car battery is replenished.
One trick worth trying is to switch on the headlights and that drain prompts the alternator to produce power which then feeds the caravan fridge and charges the caravan battery.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.

Last edited Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:59 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:14 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

I don't know the age of your caravan but on our 2003 model there is a relay on the BIP unit that energises when the engine revs are above idling.

Our relay (left in the pictures below) had burnt out.

Relay01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Relay02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Here's where it lives:

Relay04.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
eribaMotters likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:18 pm

its a 2002 model, the 12v power is intermittent so the relay is prob ok

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:34 pm

You haven't mentioned tache RAV4 's model year, or whether it has model specific towbar wiring or the simpler generic relay. The former will, among other things, stop the alternator from cutting out.
Whichever wiring it has, running with headlights on should make the alternator work all the time and therefore power the fridge and the red light all the time.

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:46 pm

its a 65 plate business edition, its not toyota wiring, third party wiring that was newly fitted 2 years ago im not sure of the make.
we are away soon so ill switch it on and if the light is out when we arrive ill switch the lights on to see if it starts working hopefuly proving or disproving the theory

thanks for the help everyone

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:23 pm

Good luck.

All towbar wiring tends to be third party, unless factory fitted. Model specific is as the name implies, designed for a particular car and is programed with Toyota software to operate all the Toyota towing features, like turning off rear parking sensors and displaying the car and caravan in the display. The cheaper generic wiring just uses a standard relay to cut in the power to the caravan and if the alternator decides to stop making power it can't make it desist.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:30 am
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

I ordered a factory fit towbar with my Seat Ateca (2017) and was unsure if the smart alternator would be defeated when towing. To check this I plugged a voltmeter in to the 12Vdc socket and went for a drive. When not towing the voltage went below 12V frequently. When towing the voltage remained steady at about 14V.
Battery charging and 12Vdc fridge operation therefore work OK.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Steamdrivenandy likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:57 am

It was only recently that I noticed that when towing, the diagram on the screen changes from just a car, to the outline of a car and caravan.

Scroll up

Visitors
7 Members and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105665 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 7