security

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:58 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

insurance companies are wanting security devices fitted when unhitched or parked without human.
we have various attachments however they going rusty
do i paint or reinvest in some shiny earrings for eriba wheels?

from researching there is the wheel locks of
alko must be perfect alignment to fit must have a receiver already fitted.

nemesis with heavy wheel bolt, bar goes through wheel to do what is never said anywhere does this use the eriba touring chassis?

milenco wraith another bar through wheel although there are 2 sizes and no guidance to which need again does it work with eriba chassis

milenco wraith 2 with the bit that goes round tyre not sure how that works

halfords clamp, on other type reviews many say the lock goes rusty however its the most affordable so could be added to one of above as extra annoyance

there are many hitchlocks bulldog used to be the one that was great for toning arms between car and caravan. alko had a great one however it needed a good lump hammer blow to get moving once unlocked

hitch posts

leg locks many brands

the disabled handle that folds over door to lock shut to be honest have never liked the look of these.

so which have you had a chance to try out, may not use now but past experience may help,

any insurance discounts for using one type against another

leg locks are not discounted on the insurance even with earrings (wheel clamps) and nose job (hitch locks)

suppose there are gold levels to conform to as well

ease of fitment? 5* very easy

1* horrid to fit specially without foul weather gear

suppose price may be a factor in these attachments for some.

where do you start its a mine field?

Scroll up

RE: security

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:08 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.460 Posts

If you are doing it to satisfy your insurance company it would be best to find out what they want. Sadly most insist on the more expensive ones.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
dinky and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:26 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

my point was to find out if these fit eriba tourings and work as designed.
then go on from there speak the the insurance company sometimes we have to guide them.
it nice to have some eribafolk support and guidance.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:40 pm
by AlanC | 93 Posts

On our 2015 Troll with steel wheels, we use the Nemesis wheel lock together with an Alko Hitch lock. If your van is an older one then the Alko lock I use won't fit the hitch.

The chassis is fine once you work out the correct angle to use for the Nemesis wheel lock. As I have a series of holes around the wheel perimeter I know which I can use to miss the chassis.

My insurance company is happy with this combination of security.

Alan

Liz and Alan
Troll 530 Touring 2015 now pushing a Honda CR-V
dinky likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:04 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

thanks Liz & Alan,

spoke to the insurance, the person got all excited with the idea of more attachments lol, although the response was as expected 😵,
Thank you so much for helping.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:29 am
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

We have the mk1 Alko Hitchlock on our 2005 Triton plus the pin that goes through the hitch head and into the anti-sway lever. These can be left connected when travelling, although I always remove them because I am paranoid about needing to unhitch the caravan in a hurry whilst travelling (happened recently when I went down the wrong road to a site and needed to turn the caravan on the spot to get back out!). When unhitched we put an Alko "golf ball thing" into the hole where the tow ball fits when connected.

We use a Milenco Wraith as a wheel lock - ours has 13" alloys and I don't think the otherwise excellent Alko fits. Why a Wraith rather than a Nemesis? Price at the point of buying. The Wraith puzzled me at first as the lock seems really stiff, however i have got used to it now and I can put it on quickly when needed with a fair bit of jiggling to get it all lined up. It is the bar type that basically stops the wheel rotating because it gets in the way of the chassis. Didn't realise there were two sizes - the one I bought fits, that's all I know!

This was all our insurer required, although i have added a hidden, wired in GPS tracker (Rewire brand using GPSLive) that alerts me if the caravan moves. It also tracks how many miles we do and how long we travel for, which is useful info. I also have a cheap Maypole wheel clamp on the other side of the 'van, which is attached to a pole holding my solar panel for trickle charging whilst in storage. This is to stop the solar panel being stolen, rather than the caravan

I had considered steady locks, but our insurer didn't offer any discount if fitted.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_6017 2.JPG 
 IMG_9074.JPG 
 IMG_9075.JPG 
 IMG_9076.JPG 
 IMG_9077.JPG 

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

dinky likes this post!
Last edited Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:33 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:41 am
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

Having just looked at the Milenco website the Wraith 2 replaces the original Wraith. The only way it appears to be better is that the security is "more visible", for £40 more... I am not sure it would fit as easily, because it depends where the locked on to wheel nut is when you park up - it could well mean you have to rotate the wheel to get it to fit properly, unlike the mk1 which just sits at a different angle every time... Nemesis may well be better now.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
dinky likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:54 am
by dinky | 211 Posts

thanks for sharing knowledge & those pictures now know how works
the wraith2 however looks like could be a pain to fit.
great idea to secure the solar lol a passing pigeon could take

just a side note from your pictures, we replaced the alko shocks with blue ones last year due to the rubbers perishing. watch out for that. easy to sort, spotted a new pair in ropers. lol. the colour dictates weight of van.

realised while was refitting wings / arches we are on 185 x r14inch wheels.

Last edited Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:08 pm
by AlanC | 93 Posts

A correction to my previous post regarding the Alko hitch lock.

I have seen a picture in a post today that shows the Alko hitch lock that I have being used on an earlier Alko hitch that doesn't have the stabiliser clamp that is fitted to newer vans. The lock fits over the locking handle which is the same size and design on most if not all Alko hitches.

Alan

Liz and Alan
Troll 530 Touring 2015 now pushing a Honda CR-V

dinky likes this post!
Last edited Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:09 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 20 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105662 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0