Advice on buying a 2nd hand 540 GT

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:31 am
by heavymatt (deleted)

Good Morning All,

My wife and I are looking to return to caravanning after many years of camping. We have seen a 2008 Eriba 540 GT for sale for £13,975 and were wondering if this was a reasonable price for that van and that age?

We were also keen to know if there is anything we should be looking for when we go and view the van that might be a particular quirk of Eriba's. Would it be reasonable to expect the current owners to have had a habitation check done, or an engineers report or is that something we should consider paying for ourselves. The van looks to be in good condition from the photos and has been stored in a garage and used lightly.

Any advice would be very much apprecaited.

thanks

Matt

Scroll up

RE: Advice on buying a 2nd hand 540 GT

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:51 am
by eribaMotters | 5.310 Posts

Welcome Matt. I'd obviously advise check every appliance works and ask for any service history.
Other than that the main thing is damp and rust. The damp would show up as any staining on the internal wall boards and be fairly obvious. The chassis is not zinc plated but the only area that sometimes corrodes is the 20mm square tube that runs around the bottom edge of the van. I'd expect to see nothing more serious than can be rubbed off with your hand if the black paint has worn off. Anything more serious and I would walk away as repairs can be very expensive.

Colin

Ps - I've sent a PM

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:59 am
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Hi Matt and welcome to Eribafolk

This is the area to look for rust, as per Colin's post above,

g7p4335-Beware-of-Rust.html

As for the price, it's in the right ball park for that age, perhaps a little steep. Is it a dealership sale or private? Does it come with mover, awning and any other accessories?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:02 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:21 pm
by heavymatt (deleted)

Hi and thank you for the welcome.

It is a private sale, does have a motor mover but awning are by separate negotiation. If "feels" a little high to me but I know Eriba's hold their value really well.

Matt

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:31 pm

Up until this year I'd have agreed with you about holding there value. My first 3 I sold for more than I paid for them, but not the last one.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:06 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

This link may help, all Eribas are basically the same whatever the age.

Buyers guide check list

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:56 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

gt have a better spec then basic eriba van, ensure it is a gt by looking for those items
my earlier gt version has alloy wheels, spare wheel
trauma blown air, ultraheat,
shower tap, sink cover,
side outside locker, there is something to do with electrics underseat.
not sure of the 2008 gt spec. the list may be in the brochures on this forum.
just remember to check the tyre age

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:29 am
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Matt. If it's a private sale do you know how long the current owners have had her and the reason for the sale? It all helps to build the picture. Also, are they known to any Eriba Club or Forum? Nor all owners are but it does help.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:01 am

Matt, if the van in question is the one on Gumtree then it could have been a personal import. This is not a problem but would explain a couple of things and raise a key question.
A UK supplied GT specification of the time would usually have come with alloy wheels and an underbed access hatch on the door side. It would also have had the 1200kg axle upgrade and different upholstery. I dot not recall the upholstery colourway shown.
The axle question is something you would need to ask about. If lower than 1200kg you would not really have a decent payload.

Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 35 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105666 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2