Storm Straps

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:42 pm
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

There's a discussion going on at the moment on Eribafolk Facebook about sun shade storm straps. It would appear that Isabella offer Typhoon Straps for their product.

We've owned an awning one piece storm strap for many years but we also carry a couple of sets of Luggage Ratchet Straps bought from Lidl. During some really heavy winds two weeks ago in Hayle Cornwall, we used the luggage straps to good effect on our Isabella Shadow.

The Lidl straps are rather like these with a big "S" hook :- https://www.taut-strap.co.uk/products/80...hRoC6f4QAvD_BwE

and the "S" hook will hook around the top of the corner pole and can also be firmly pegged into the ground using the big red plastic pegs supplied by Isabella. The ratchet is brilliant for getting and keeping the right tension.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:43 pm | Scroll up

RE: Storm Straps

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:16 pm
by Captain Calamity | 343 Posts

If the wind gets to the point where I’m worried about the shadow, I take it down (about 2 minutes after years of practice). I also have a pop air pro and tried to buy storm straps for it. The salesman advised me not to put it those on a pop air because the awning will bend with the wind. I took his advice and have had no trouble in many years of all year touring. I know what will happen now I’ve said that!🥲

Magpie and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:44 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.119 Posts

I'm like the good Capt in that if there are signs of a very strong wind or torrential rain I take the Isabella Shadow down. It also takes me about 2 minutes. In Poolsbrooke this July we had horrendous rain that flooded the site. I spent 20 minutes under it pushing the pools of water off the canopy until it slackened a bit then we got it down.

Twice we have had storms in the middle of the night and despite extra guys one of the poles has collapsed and brought the Shadow down. This is why we no longer risk it.

Our PopAir has been in some horrendous storms and withstood them because of how the air beams give. We do put up the storm straps but not sure how much good they do.

Our lightweight Vareo has also stood some strong winds - hope that isn't tempting fate...............

MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:35 am
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

We've added extra roof poles to ours ( I centre and 2 side poles) from our now defunct Chalet type full awning. With these in position, rain pooling on the roof is now hardly an issue plus we don't carry our Sunncamp Swift Verao on UK trips anymore. To be honest, we've not found the need to use it for about 2 years now and the longer Isabella does the trick.

If we did need to get it down rapidly, like you and the Captain say, it still only takes a few minutes. Likewise to put it up.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:53 pm
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

I saw that our 2022 PopAirPro had two clips to take storm straps, but none come with the awning, so I bought some this summer...

Well, they are less effective than the standard tie down straps, I feel - the elastic connection at the bottom of the straps will hardly stand up to much stress, I would think. Having once - many years ago - lost an awning over the roof of my first ever caravan, I am always very aware of the potential for sudden gusts...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:41 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

I take my shadow sun awning down at night time or in high winds, last time I left it up overnight the wind was horrendous turning my Eriba into a clipper sail boat. My concern was that it was going to tear off my awning rail. It only takes a couple of minutes to put up and take it down.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Randa france, Magpie and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:47 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.119 Posts

Sorry Randa

I should have added that one of the nights a strong wind blew our Shadow down was on the beautiful, sunny Gower ..................................in the depths of a Welsh summer

Mike

Simboc2004 and Randa france like this post!
Last edited Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:48 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:52 am
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

I have a brand new Shadow that I have never used. Yet. Will definitely be taking heed of this advice when we do!

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105705 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0