Buyer beware

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:27 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

All the regulars know I've moved to the "grey side", selling my Triton and buying a Feeling. The van has surpassed my expectations, it is wonderful, BUT.
Wandahome were to supply and fit a front carrier. A couple of days before collection they informed me the carrier Hymer had sent did not fit, Hymer were not expecting stock for 5-6 weeks and then it would need to be shipped out. I'd waited 6 weeks for parts already, so this was a no go.
The on-line configurator and brochures specified "Thule Superb" was needed. Wandahome found a third party with stock of the carrier listed and I ordered it for a self fit.
Upon fitting it became apparent that although the carrier supplied was the one ordered, it was not the correct carrier for my Eriba. I believe a "Thule Superb Short" was the correct model and entered into a long e-mail conversation with Hymer/Eriba. They finally admitted the error, they were wrong, the "Short" model was in fact needed, but did not see they had to resolve the problem as I had bought from a third party. They went on to say if I'd ordered from a Hymer/Eriba dealer then I'd have received the correct part.
I had ordered from a Hymer/Eriba dealer, but that dealer had been evasive with the facts. When I placed my order they had a carrier in stock, but had failed to check it would fit. By the time they did check and placed an order it was to late and so they cancelled the order.
So the situation I'm in is I trusted Hymer/Eriba who specified the incorrect part, which is a breach of the Advertising Standards Code on two points.
I trusted the dealer who has not been as knowledgeable or open as they should have been.
I bought a carrier from a third party who supplied promptly and at a good price what was ordered. They are not at fault.and I have not contacted the, The parts would now be classed as used.
I had fallen into a situation where neither manufacture or dealer was willing to accept responsibility for a situation of there making.
The problem with the carrier was the front most mounted cycle was in line with the jockey wheel. As such it was difficult to fit a cycle there and it was closer to the back of the car than I thought best.
37 - cycle rack up-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
I now have a fully functioning carrier as I have adapted it to I hope a factory fit quality/appearance, but I should not have needed to do so. I was fortunate in that I could move the wheel tracks back into a series of pre-drilled holes, but I've needed to reinforce the front pivot/hinge areas by fabricating a couple of strips of stainless steel, not easy to cut by hand.
66 - cycle carrier reinforcement-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
To be honest none of this really surprises me. Eriba dealers come and go, with few knowing the product inside out. Hymer/Eriba the manufacturer have never been the easiest of manufacturers to get along with and would appear to be only interested in the bottom line of profit.

So, Buyer beware.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Islay, Frantone, Poptop320, Terryc and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:41 pm | Scroll up

RE: Buyer beware

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:11 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

The Eriba has a different kind of customer base that the caravan dealer will need to be aware of or ignore at their peril. The Eriba owner or potential owner will be an enthusiast like a classic car owner and they will be far more knowledgable than a generic caravan dealer that also happens to sell Hymer caravans, I found myself in the same situation when I bought my second Eriba from Lowdhams and I found myself advising them what you can and can’t do with them.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:21 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:50 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

It is a strange situation with the UK dealerships. I remember in 2017 ordering a Triton from Lowdhams in Nottingham I had to explain to them what/how/why etc. Totally different to my visits with dealerships in NL who were very in the know.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:10 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.005 Posts

When Erwin was around Hymer were a lot more customer focused. The Thor takeover with a massive loan to finance has meant a complete change in attitude and a widening of the number of dealerships.in an effort to expand the volume of sales. Lowdham were only ever really interested in the Nova range which they had anglicised and insisted that they were branded 'Hymer' because they felt the 'Eriba' name was down market. The Novas are no more, cut under the Thor regime, mind they'd be north of £50k these days.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:35 am
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

I could really do with an East Anglia based Eriba dealer - nearest for me is Kool Classics (who do go the extra mile in my experience), but they are 106 miles away...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:40 am
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Has Dom Fox finished then Simon? I heard a rumour. https://www.domfox.co.uk/

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:58 am
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

He told me he was finishing when I bought my Triton from him two years ago, but he still seems to dabble - he's not a service engineer though, or an official dealer with access to the Hymer parts system.

Simon

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 20 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105689 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5