Still searching for my first Eriba

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:37 pm
by Mistrelyn | 9 Posts

Hello folks
In the search for my first Eriba without travelling to the south coast I have found one locally, It is advertised as a 550 GT so I am assuming it is the Troll 550 GT with a fixed bed,
However I have now noticed it is plated at 1300 kg unlike the Leisure First model which is plated at 1200 kg. (I phoned and checked.)

My little Mercedes B180 has a maximum trailer weight of 1200 kg so can this Eriba be down plated?

Cheers

John

Scroll up

RE: Still searching for my first Eriba

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:37 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

the car can only tow 1200kg max if you are experienced in towing, the caravan must not weigh any more than 1200kg, no matter the axle weight.
for safety should consider 85% if new to towing, https://www.towingcapacity.co.uk/85-towing-rule.html the rule that's not a rule just a very strong suggestion for clean under garments..
what does caravan weigh in mass running order with no personnel possessions, does it have any extras fitted? like a mover fitted this will add to current empty weight

If a mover fitted if reduce the axle weight will you still have enough payload for pots pans extra?
this is a balancing act.

to answer Yes it can be done via Alko consider above.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:47 pm
by Mistrelyn | 9 Posts

Hi Dinky
The weight given is the maximum trailer weight but the car is a much heavier than that.

I towed caravans and folding campers up to 5 years ago when the wife became to ill to manage the stress of going on holiday.
She passed in June so I just want a small caravan for me and my dog.

I know MTPLM plates can be up graded but can they be reduced given Eriba seem to give a range of MTPLM for similar van's.

Thanks

John

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:12 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

John, a lot of Eriba caravans in Europe came with strange [to us] plated max weights, which was I believe this was down to driving licence requirements. As such a van with a 1200kg axle might have been plated at 1000kg, 1050kg, 1100kg, and 1200kg. You can have your 1300kg van down plated to 1200kg, without any mechanical alterations but it will cost you, I'm guessing around £150 for the new sticky label Hymer/Eriba will supply you with.
You have two choices, go through a dealer or through the Hymer/Eriba site. You will find a contact link here:- https://www.eriba.com/gb/en/service/contact

Colin

edit, the Troll 550Gt could be supplied as a fixed bed at the rear or with another dining area, so worth checking.

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Last edited Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:22 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:22 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

sending condolences to you.

very limited info on gov website https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-weights-explained

https://www.sterling-insurance.co.uk/blo...er/towing-laws/ this mentions the car max weights rather than the caravan max axle weight,
( this site does however have a picture of an Eriba Randa)

the only info can locate is for heavier vehicles pg 4 of the pdf download explains what said above much better https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/sites/d...ehicles+web.pdf

this is a website read no download
https://www.commercialmotor.com/complian...vehicle-plating

Mistrelyn likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:11 pm
by Mistrelyn | 9 Posts

Thank you Colin. I am viewing on Wednesday and that helps a lot.

Many thanks John

dinky likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:10 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.005 Posts

Hold Hard!

There seems to be some basic basic misunderstandings here.

Firstly I believe 550's could be had with a rear lounge that could be turned into a double bed or a fixed double bed.

Secondly the van's MTPLM is the maximum it can legally be loaded to but if, as in this case, you only load it to 1200kg then that is fine, there is absolutely no need to replate it, you'll just be running 100kg below its limit.

The only issue whether at 1200kg there will be enough payload available at 1200kg

The current 550 has a MIRO of 1007kg and a standard MTPLM of 1300kg, giving a nominal 293kg payload. However speccing the van up via the options list to an average UK type spec. adds a further 90kg, reducing the available payload to 203kg, Add a motor mover (35kg) and it's down to 168kg, which should be fine. However if you're limiting yourself to 1200kg the available payload becomes 68kg and that is not a realistic amount to expect to use the van, even for one man and his dog. You have to assume that is why Hymer increased the standard MTPLM from 1200kg to 1300kg.

If you can manage without a mover you'll have 103kg to play with but that's still a bit too low. If you're dead set on a 5XX series Touring range van it might be a better plan to change the car to something that will pull, say, 1500kg before paying out £750 for a towbar and that gives you plenty of margin. .

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.

Bryn likes this post!
Last edited Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:15 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:20 pm
by Mistrelyn | 9 Posts

A little more clarification required by me!!

I started out looking for a 3 berth Eriba to enable me to leave a bed made up. It also needed a shower/WC and to be light enough to tow with my baby Mercedes 180D. I have only had the car a few months buying it a week before Val suddenly died hence me not wanting to change it.

My problem has been that there are not many Eriba's to my spec and budget (about 12 grand) and they disappear rather quickly or are 200 miles away.

I spotted the 550 GT on Gumtree and it is only 40 minutes away from me so easy to view but having done more homework over the past few days I am coming to the same conclusion as steamdrivenandy, forget it or change the car!. According to what I have read on this forum it has an MRO of 960kg but I would have to check what extras it is carrying. I know it has a mover, gas bottle and battery so there is 90kg gone.

Anybody any other ideas on where to search?

Thanks

John

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:11 pm

John, there is no easy answer. You could go down a size to a Triton 430, which will give you a slightly shorter bed and smaller dining area at the front, but still has easily enough space for you and more storage capacity than you can use. It will have the same small size bathroom area. Most of these UK vans from about 2002 onwards came with the 1200kg axle if they were standard white over silver GT specification UK vans.
You will in all likelihood have to travel to get the van of your dreams. I've bought 5 Eriba's, travelling from Essex to Berkshire, Belgium, Leicester and Nottingham. My last van I collected from North Yorkshire and I live in Devon = 700 miles.
The likely search places, along with the [mostly expensive] Eriba dealers are e-bay, Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace, Caravan & Motorhome Club. Independent dealers such as https://www.eribacaravansales.co.uk/ and https://www.domfox.co.uk/ are worth looking at.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Last edited Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:05 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:28 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.005 Posts

The items making up the 90kg in options are:

Stone guard protection 2kg
Spare wheel 20kg
Smooth body finish 5kg
Door flyscreen 5kg
Sprung core mattress (fixed bed) 10kg
Shower fittings 3kg
12V heater fan and trunking 3kg
Ultraheat 240V element 2kg
Autonomy Pack (battery etc) 30kg
Truma Therme boiler 3kg
Carpet 8kg
Total 91kg

Add in a motor mover at 35kg and you've used 126kg of payload.

One other area often overlooked is gas cylinders. I don't know what allowance Hymer build into MIRO for gas, UK makers appear to have more or less standardised on 10kg. When you consider that a full 6kg Calor cylinder weighs 14kg and many folk tote two around then that's another 18kg of payload used up. Even if you fit just one you've used 4kg when it's full.

It's really not a good idea to push the boundaries of a car's towing limit and I always like to have a van that weighs in at 100kg or more less than the car's limit. That would suggest a van with an 1100kg MTPLM and taking off the 144kg of options brings that down to 956kg without any personal items or equipment. Our own payload leaving out mover, battery, gas etc is 108kg. If you take that off the 956kg you get 848kg and that is the MIRO of the van to fit your car. If you choose to ignore having a tow weight margin and are happy to run at 1200kg, then you're looking for a van with a MIRO of 948kg.

HTH

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:20 pm
by Mistrelyn | 9 Posts

When all else fails buy a Swift Basecamp 2!

Joking!!!

Have had a discussion with Dom Fox and will contact me in January and I will go down for a couple of days to see what is what.

Many thanks for all your comments and suggestions .

Will post when there is any progress. Must get a tow bar now.

Cheers

John

SOULBLUESMAN68 and eribaMotters like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:10 pm

For towbars PF Jones have an excellent reputation, will fit at your home or work address across the UK, have a wide range of styles available and are fair on price. Make sure you go for a vehicle specific wiring loom, 13 pin electrics is a must and determine whether the electrics will supply power to fridge and battery when towing. This normally costs more but most would not be without the facility.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:42 am
by Mistrelyn | 9 Posts

Just got off the phone to PF Jones.
Excellent company. Many thanks.

John

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:48 am

Did you get the PM I sent you on Tuesday?

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:41 am
by Mistrelyn | 9 Posts

I did Colin but only just as it is the first "PM" I have received I missed it.

Will check things out.

Many thanks
John

Last edited Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:43 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 55 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105688 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4