Thermal Covers for Roof

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:38 pm
by 2eZero | 16 Posts

I've had my 2018 530 for a matter of months and have already been out a few times in this cold winter weather. The Ultraheat just doesn't cut it sometimes. So I decided to upgrade and get the thermal covers for the roof. I already know that there will be times I want to be warmer/cosier without the heater on. I'm like that sometimes.

There were many ways to do this but of course I went about it the wrong way. I was in the Lake District for other reasons and visited the dealer locally and picked it up. Getting it back to the caravan I discovered i would need to 'drill' or certainly use an electric screwdriver to mount this.

The instructions are helpful and although they are in several languages they provide pictures and some measurement guides. So of course, being a wimp in wanting to drill holes in the roof, I spoke to my local dealer; Broadlane of Alcester. I could have ordered it direct with the dealer but even when they did the work, their fitter said he hadn't done one before and actually it worked out better than he would have thought.

I have created a section in the photo gallery under 'Eriba Improvements' and 'Eriba Thermal Roof Blanket'

I have yet to try it out yet, as I've been unwell of late and work has got in the way, but soon I am sure I will get to try them ;)

The way it works is that there are small black clips mounted initially in the corners then at other places in the roof to match in with the lengths of fabric. You slot the magnetic clip into the roof mounted clip and work your way around including behind the toilet curtain and velcro each 'side' of the fabric lengths together.

It creates a full 360 cover and then you tuck the lower edge into opening of the roof, between the roof and the inner fabric and it just slots there.

To remove you undo the velcro at the front and rear then unclip from the roof clips and carefully take down and fold to put away. Then operate the roof as normal

Doonhamer, Randa france and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:42 pm | Scroll up

RE: Thermal Covers for Roof

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:51 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.001 Posts

Interesting, Broad Lane have only been Eriba dealers for a couple of years so they're unlikely to have come across it before.

Back in the day we've spent days in our 540 when the snow on the roof made one end pop down and we've been ultra toasty without a muffler and just the Truma on electric setting.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
2eZero likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:56 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.458 Posts

Our roof came down fully in the night due to a heavy fall of snow. Went with a heck of a bang which shot us both out of bed. We weren’t being hardy campers, just on the drive with a houseful of Christmas visitors.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Steamdrivenandy, 2eZero, PooleDweller and Islay like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:24 pm
by 2eZero | 16 Posts

Everyone has their own preferences with caravanning, and the level of warmth that they want.

I’ve slept in all sorts of places, in all sorts of vehicles and tents over the years. I often don’t like having the heater on at night as it dries the air out and affects my sinuses and asthma.

There will be some events that I’ll be going to throughout the year where the thermal covering will help with not just warmth retention, but reduction of noise from the surrounding area.

I am happy to have found a local Eriba dealer, which was a very important consideration at the time.

When I get over this lurgy, I’m hoping to go out and about again and test it out.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:09 am
by Islay | 215 Posts

I've seen people over here who use that double, layered aluminium insulation material that just sits up against the canvas. It seems to do the job.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:12 am
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

I'm lucky as I'm short and have slept with the roof down on the odd few occasions.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:22 pm
by Islay | 215 Posts

We do too. Also, if the campsite's a bit noisy it's blissful to be able to shut the roof.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:16 am
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

At 6' tall I find the pop up roof essential - and I'd ideally have the extra height roof... After seeing how much Hymer wanted for the thermal kit I bought a roll of silvered bubble wrap and a pack of self adhesive Velcro to make my own... By making it an exact fit I don't need any fixings attached to the caravan itself

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Islay likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 41 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105656 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3