Replacing the waist rail moulding (Herzim strip)

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:50 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.739 Posts

From about 2005 the Touring range have a red cover strip that really makes them look smart and as I now have a red car I thought I'd replace my old white strip to match it.

Before:

P1010138.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) P1010090.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

During:

P1010139.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

After:

P1010140.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) P1010141.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The 12 metres of 'cherry' coloured strip that I ordered from Leisure Shop Direct for £14 delivered turned out to be maroon despite their also advertising 'maroon' as an option. That has now gone back. Jason at AL had the correct specification strip in stock and although it was a little bit more expensive at £1.44 per metre inc VAT (£17.28 collected), it is good to know that it's the genuine article as fitted by Hymer.

Fitting the strip is dead easy.

1. Start with the door to get the hang of it. Remove the two plastic end caps and door retainer taking care to use the correct sized pozidrive screwdrivers and holding the driver so as to prevent it scratching the paint should it slip.

2. Pull out the old plastic.

3. Clean out the channel with a bit of kitchen paper and give the rail retaining screws a turn to make sure that they are tight (nearly all mine needed tightening)

4. Cut a piece of the new strip to length and put its lower edge into the alloy channel.

5. Press the top edge under the top lip of the channel. I used my thumbnail but when it started to bleed used the rounded end of an old teaspoon.

6. Press the centre of the strip with your thumb to locate it properly, refit the fittings and stand back to admire your handiwork.

7. The rest of the rail is done in one piece so I started in front of the door removing the handles and end caps and proceeded as above. It really helps if you choose a warm day to do this as the plastic is much easier to work with. The screws on the moving handles are hidden behind plastic flaps which open outwards from the centre (see picture above.)

Total time required about 90 minutes; skill rating - dead easy; smug-git factor - high.

I think it looks great!

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Poptop320, Randa france, , Magpie, and like this post!
Last edited Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:51 am | Scroll up

RE: Replacing the waist rail moulding (Herzim strip)

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:58 pm
by Agger (deleted)

That looks really nice well done!

I am thinking about changing all 3 strips on mine, top, middle, lower but I am going for red in the middle, blue at the bottom and as yet undecided about the top (maybe black or a second blue).

I also need to source some new grab handles

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:52 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

Good thread it looks really smart and the red lifts the van.
I got a set of grab handles for my old Eriba from Jandi and they were not that expensive. Just be careful when you take your handles off and make sure that they are reseated in good mastic, one of my Puck handles tracked water down a screw. I had to take them all off again and mastic them up ...

I like to pop my top when I go on holiday
and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:17 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I was thinking of renewing them with the later chrome ones, just need to check screw placements

Last edited Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:17 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:23 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

What is your new red car please?

My first railway painting and commission
Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:00 pm

The Audi A4 cabrio, Derek. It's redder than a highly embarrassed red thing and as near as damn it the same red as the Eriba waist strip..

P1000562.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:54 am
by Agger (deleted)

I have this morning stripped out my waistline herzim strip and also the lower one in preparation for replacing it. I removed the 4 grab handles which I am also replacing and cleaned off the mastic residue with Duraglit (really effective), as I'm doing the lower strip as well I had to remove the mudguards and rear reflectors. I cleaned the waistline and lower herzim housing with a toothbrush (hers not mine). I also took the opportunity to tighten all the exposed screws, as Brian said above they all needed tightening.

I bought 5 genuine Eriba grab handles and 50 metres of genuine Eriba red herzim paid £7 for delivery and it only cost me just over £40 total Jandi for not ripping people off price wise, and they REALLY know there stuff, very highly recommended. I also bought 4 walking stick ferrules these will be attached using Mr Aggers secret retaining method

I am having a cuppa now and waiting for the post, then I will be out today until 5pm so I will be unable to continue until then

Whilst doing it I noticed that it would be possible to have different coloured trim on each of the 3 main strips or even between the grab handles front and rear.

All my trim is being removed and replaced with fresh!

Thanks to Brian for his previous posts on this and I will post pictures when it's done, I just have to work out how to get the rear spoiler fitted to the roof

The photo's show some of the work, I used a slightly d8fferent metbod to Brian, I put the top of ghe herziminto the channel and forcefed the bottom into the other part of the channel with my fingers, neither way is right or wrong! It just comes down to ease and preference.

I have also replaced the chromedome 2 part split screw covers, I got 50 of these from Ebay for £2.50 delivered free.

I still have the top channel to do but I will have to take the awning off first, so that will be another day.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 20140725_193745.jpg 
 20140725_193810.jpg 
 20140725_193837.jpg 

Poptop320 and like this post!
Last edited Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:57 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:34 am
by Agger (deleted)

Just finished the top rail, much easier than I thought and no need to remove the awning I could'nt see the join, but found it hidden under the rear awning bracket. Having finished the 3 largest implants, I then did the small vertical ones under the rear light clusters, which need loosening from inside to allow access. I had already done the gas locker, and side under bed cupboard access. The only thing that remains now is the door surround, the door is just a straight lift off, but the hanging brackets are secured with 3 small bolts each, so I will have to get a socket set next time I go to my garage.

Just a few more photo's, the last one is a work in progress Mrs Agger is having trouble keeping up!

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 20140726_103509.jpg 
 20140726_103529.jpg 
 20140726_103553.jpg 
 20140726_103626.jpg 
 20140726_113330.jpg 

Last edited Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:35 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:41 am

A nice, professional looking job, Graham. But I can't help feeling that something doesn't quite look right.

I've got it......................................... Stickerlack.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:47 am
by Agger (deleted)

I know see my seperate post in the sticker thread

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:20 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Out of curiosity, Mr A, do you tow your van with more than one vehicle?

It's just that the number plate on your caravan doesn't seem match the ones on your BMW.

Just wondering if you've actually got a fleet of caravans so you can swap to another when the ashtrays get full.

Or a fleet of cars, for that matter...

Last edited Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:21 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:23 am
by Agger (deleted)

It's an old vehicle which I no longer own, I often include it rather than my own, sometimes I even tow with it but thats because I forget to put the correct one on. Despite this never been "pulled"

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:28 am

Quote: Agger wrote in post #12
It's an old vehicle which I no longer own, I often include it rather than my own, sometimes I even tow with it but thats because I forget to put the correct one on. Despite this never been "pulled"
I see.

I knew having the desk sergeant at Stroud nick for a brother-in-law would come in useful some day. As luck would have it I'm seeing him later on today...

Last edited Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:30 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:32 am
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #13
[quote="Agger"|p10306]
I knew having the desk sergeant at Stroud nick for a brother-in-law would come in useful some day. As luck would have it I'm seeing him later on today...

please pass on my regards it's been a while since I worked for SOCA

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:14 pm

Quote: Agger wrote in post #14
it's been a while since I worked for SOCA
If you worked for SOCA then you ought to know BETA

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12510 topics and 105557 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3