Underseal

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:42 pm
by Herby (deleted)

My 81 Puck has lost some of its original underseal so I need to replace it.

I have a couple of questions.

In a couple of places the exposed wood underneath looks like it's started to deteriorate. These areas are relatively small, but I've no idea whether this is something I need to worry about, or whether I can just happily slap some underseal over it...

If undersell is the way forward, what's the best way to remove any further loose flaking sections, and what is the best sealant to use, please?

Scroll up

RE: Underseal

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:14 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

I'm not sure which is the correct way to go about it but we wire brushed any flaky paintwork off the metal framework of our Troll earlier this year and slapped some black Hammerite Smooth on it. We didn't bother with the floor as it looked OK and was already undersealed.
I read that when Eriba floors start to deteriorate badly they get a bit spongy underfoot. If that isn't the case with you're Puck then if it is possible to gently scrape away any rotten wood and treat it with some sort of preservative, that's the way I would go. That is of course if it is not already undersealed. Once preserved, I would get some underseal on it.
I'm no expert however and bow to anyone who has greater knowledge.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

and like this post!
Last edited Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:16 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:50 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Here's a link to something I wrote awhile ago, don't get to excited though

De-laminating floor anyone?

as for undersealing the van, well that's a can of worms! Some will say underseal, some will say Hammerite paint, I did ours 2 years ago and my chassis is always classy😁😂 so did'nt need a rub down, it also looks galvinised (but others say it is'nt, although they hav'nt seen mine) so I just painted the exposed woodwork, did it all in a morning, dropped the spare wheel cage off to. I'd do what you think, as I doubt any of us will be 100% right especially as all our vans are in differing states of repair

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:21 pm
by Herby (deleted)

Thanks guys. :-)

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:56 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Hi Herby, don't use car underseal on the wooden floor, it will lock in damp, Hymer do use a special preservative spray. Have a word with Jandi caravans. They will advise you what it is and probably supply it for you.....

http://www.eribacaravans.co.uk/

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Pepé Le Pew, , and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:44 pm
by Herby (deleted)

Thank you Poptop320, that's exactly what I need to know…I was unsure about using car underseal, and I've seen conflicting advice, so finding out there's some special Hymer stuff is great.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 41 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0