RE: Cleaning and re-proofing pop-top canvas

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:10 pm
by Rabiedmushroom (deleted)

When cleaning the pop-top, ive found references to using 'soap flakes'.
Sorry to be a young imbecile but is this just Ye Olde Reference? Are we talking normal washing powder like used for clothes? And if so, I presume bog-standard biological washing powder like Persil is OK?
Or are Soap Flakes a specific product?
Thanks.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:12 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Soap flakes are pure soap. There are no added bio products or surfactants etc. This is to preserve the pop top fabric.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

Last edited Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:39 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:41 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Lux soap flakes are the old brand, they look like white corn flakes when emptied out of the packet,

Boots, do there own as Lux is no more 425g for £2.69 according our "old" packet, worth doing properly as well, a clean canvas really sets off the Eriba

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! Has an empty space where once a very polished Eriba stood😎

Last edited Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:51 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:14 pm
by Rabiedmushroom (deleted)

A trip to Boots it's is then!
I've just bought some 303 for afterwards, and relegated the Fabsil to re-waterproofing awning duties.
Some very useful tips, thanks folks.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:05 pm
by Randa france | 12.920 Posts

Boots no longer stock soap flakes but Wilko have bottled liquid soap flakes.

Anyway, after purchasing some 303 and some Wilko liquid soap flakes, we set about our poptop this morning.

A complete failure Well not complete but hardly worth doing. We were able to spruce up the colour of a lot of the fabric (unless of course it looks brighter coz we've washed off the waterproofing ) but there is still a dense band of black spots (mould) about 2" wide all the way around the bottom of the fabric. Tried cleaning from the inside, the outside, using neat liquid soap flakes, a toothbrush, but can't budge them.

We haven't removed the poptop as we don't want to get stuck a few weeks before we go away.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:32 pm

Washing up bottle brush and washing up liquid?

What do you think?

Randa

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:04 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

the 303 cleaner is fabulous, used for many fabrics including the tilley hat,, although we removed our canvas last time applied cleaner on kitchen top then put in washing machine on cold
once happy was clean then sprayed with 303 water proofer and put outside to dry,air can take up to 72 hours although warmth does help speed process up
its hard work to do it on caravan but totally understand why xx
heres some ideas
http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:50 pm

Given it up as a bad job. So the pop top remains spotty.

Just spent an hour reading all the do's and don'ts (far more don'ts) on the 303 waterproofer and another hour waterproofing the poptop.

After all the warnings I just have to wait to see what perishes first. The fibreglass roof, the rubber seals, the acrylic windows, the cat or me .....

Julie Grafo likes this post!

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:23 pm
by jasond4289 (deleted)

I was put off of 303 due to the fibreglass warning as I am too chicken to remove the pop-top! I used Autoglym cabriolet fabric hood cleaning kit which is a similar product with decent reviews. It hasn't removed the mould spots (don't have many apart from a group near the rear scissor hinge) but does appear cleaner overall. Haven't tested water repellency yet as it's still airing having finished yesterday afternoon, but previously the pop-top wasn't beading water when over sprayed during my spring clean.

Eriba novice with a Familia 320GT.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:08 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

What is 303 supposed do to fibre glass ? we have just cleaned our canvas using the cleaner, dried then reproofed with 303, we covered the roof with paper but of course some soaks through the paper or drips down from the canvas, I washed it off straight away with car shampoo and fairy in hot water then rinsed with clear water, so what damage can I expect? doe it make it go dull? or does it do some structural damage?
Save

Eriba Triton 430 converted to a 418 ish 04 import tickling a Citroen C4 auto 1.6 Hdi
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:33 pm
by Basherdent (deleted)

Did you ever get rid of mould spots we have used mild bleach with soap flakes Eddie was too chicken to leave on for long before hosing off and allowing to dry mould still there now going to belt and brace re-proof with 303 but there seems to be two types of bottles for the same product. Not sure which one. Did you spray or brush on

Last edited Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:34 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 16 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12556 topics and 105898 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4