Hello

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:33 am
by armorican (deleted)

New member here! I have an Eriba Triton BSA, 1999 vintage. It is a French caravan - ie bought new in France and always registered in France where I live.

I have had the brake pads inspected and am told they are OK. However, when the caravan is levelled and braked on a sloping pitch by raising one side (pulling the caravan up a wedge and then placing a chock behind) it will roll back off the wedge once the chock is removed. Seems to me that if the brake was working properly, the caravan would remain static until release of the hand-brake. My neighbour thinks that the connecting linkage (wheel-to-brake) needs tightening.

Does anyone have any experience of this or advice to offer?

Many thanks.

armorican

Scroll up

RE: Hello

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:03 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Hello and

Now I'm not 100% sure that what I am saying is factual or not it could be effluent from the bull

On some older caravans (not necessarily Eriba) I have heard of an "over centre" reaction which might explain your problem In the past I have also heard stories of "older caravans" being reversed onto a sloping pitch, handbrake applied, de-coupled and the the van moves or (if stories are to be believed) run away downhill.

I doubt your problem is this serious as our old (long sold now) Burstner was a 1991 model and it was fine, so if any of the above is correct (as I say these are not my experiences, just things you "hear" about, so I have no idea if they are factually correct)

I doubt that helps but it may prompt someone else to respond!

In the meantime enjoy your Eriba and take care

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:04 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum!

From your username I assume that you live in Brittany, somewhere on the Côte d'Armor - you lucky thing.

Re the rolling back, that's perfectly normal and they all do it. The hand brake doesn't come on fully until the caravan has rolled back a short distance at which point the handle will move to the vertical. I'm sure that I have chapter and verse somewhere and if I can find it, I'll post it for you. (It may already be on here in the help section)

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:10 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:08 pm

Yes, here it is: Overrun Braking System

There's a red triangle near the relevant paragraph. (25cm/10" roll back distance)

I always leave a chock in place when parked on a levelling ramp.

PS (ever the pedant - many would say 'smartarse' ) the brakes are drums not discs so the friction material is on 'shoes', not pads.

Forum Administrator

Last edited Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:15 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:17 pm
by armorican (deleted)

Thank you!

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:19 pm
by armorican (deleted)

Thank you! Got me in 1 - we are in Cote d'Armor where it is 22C and sunny today. Thanks for the comment - am most appreciative.

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:19 pm
by armorican (deleted)

Thanks again. All v helpful.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:20 pm
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

Hello Amorican and welcome to Eribafolk. Really glad to have you on board.
I have the same problem with my 1999 Troll. It has caught me out more than once when, although stored on a relatively flat piece of ground with the handbrake off, I've applied the handbrake before jacking the van up only for the van to roll back slightly when on the jack and the wheel is free of the ground.
You can imagine the panic can't you?
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:20 pm

It's always a pleasure to help new members.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask and we'll collectively do our best to help you.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:50 pm
by hob (deleted)

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:22 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

Hello and glad to have you along. Can't help with theproblem but it's 16° here.

An early self portrait
Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:36 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:38 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

some eribas had white chocks stored under the front floor near the front steadies / legs

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105788 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0