RE: Cruise control

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 14, 2015 7:33 am
by Agger (deleted)

Retarder, exhaust brake if only! Really effective

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! Has an empty space where once a very polished Eriba stood😎
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 14, 2015 9:29 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.738 Posts

Quote: Morphy wrote in post #11
I know its only a second to knock cruise off but still its a second saved.

Your first reaction in an emergency will be to brake or change down and any pressure on either the brake or clutch pedal will disconnect the electronic override instantly. No need to manually disengage the system.

On the question of the car 'labouring uphill' when towing, that's because a manual gearbox will not change itself and the cruise control will simply adjust the engine for more power in an attempt to maintain the speed that you have set. Far better to change down thereby disconnecting the system when climbing hills and re-engage it when on long flat stretches.

Cruise control is particularly useful on those long stretches of motorway roadworks limited to 50mph and policed by average speed cameras.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 14, 2015 10:00 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #17
Cruise control is particularly useful on those long stretches of motorway roadworks limited to 50mph and policed by average speed cameras.
Indeed.

There are some people who say they use it at even lower speeds than that, and not on motorways.

Mad as badgers. The lot of them.

At lower speeds in particular you are constantly and subconsciously making tiny throttle adjustments in response to what's going on around you. With cruise control engaged, you aren't...

I remember seeing a video somewhere of somebody attempting a traffic-cone slalom at a very modest speed but with the cruise control engaged. Actually, it was the kind of speed that either you or I would be entirely confident of weaving through rubber cones at.

It was okay for the first couple, but very quickly turned into lots of squealing tyres and cones all over the show.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 14, 2015 12:46 pm
by christine (deleted)

Agger, we did have a fiat doblo, now we have a C3 piccasso.
And yes we do change down, lol.
Just that when you change down the cruise control goes off, so cannot see the point in having it on.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 14, 2015 1:06 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

Yes so you reset it

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Pepe's Walk
Aaron Calder and like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 14, 2015 1:35 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: hampshireman wrote in post #20
Yes so you reset it
Or press the 'resume' button. Then you don't need to reset it.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 14, 2015 3:25 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

Ah maybe that's what RES on the switch means thanks

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Pepe's Walk
Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri May 15, 2015 8:45 am
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: christine wrote in post #19
And yes we do change down, lol..

It was a bit of a tic (tongue in cheek) comment, however a very long time ago, I remember we were going from Hameln to Sicily and a guy who had been taught to drive by his wife was always slowing on the hills (despite having a very capable tow car) when we stopped for a rest several of us commented, and he said "I'm in 5th gear, that's the fastest I can go!"

When explained that for hills it would be necessary to change down, the penny dropped, he later divorced (he said she was a rubbish driving instructor anyway!)

True story

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! Has an empty space where once a very polished Eriba stood😎
Aaron Calder and like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri May 15, 2015 9:44 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.738 Posts

There has to be a moral there.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
and Eribanut like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:12 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Morphy wrote in post #11
I don't drive all of the time with cruise and never in the wet.

I think this is the only time wet weather has been mentioned in this thread- well done that man. And yes, using CC in the wet is an extremely dangerous practice as it encourages aquaplaning; something that gets a mention in several manufacturers handbooks.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:12 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.605 Posts

My Suzuki has adaptive cruise control which works with radar, you set it to what ever speed you want then it will chase the car in front at your desired spacing. It will accelerate and brake automatically if the car in front deviates from your set speed. It sounds great but because I don't use it very often I always forget to use it...😊

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:07 pm
by Sailormantom (deleted)

My Tiguan also has adaptive cruise control which is great when I am in no rush and happy to just keep up with the traffic flow or keep within the speed limit. Not so good when there is a lot of lane changing going on from myself or others though and the radar is sometimes a bit over cautious particularly when the car in front decelerates on a slip road off a right hand bend - it sometimes thinks it is still in my way and slows down too much but a quick burst of throttle will override now I am aware of the issue.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:57 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

My adaptive cruise control will not work while towing. As it does not know the weight of the trailer the braking system would be dangerous. Other than that I think it is an excellent system. Far superior to just cruise control which I did not use.

Stewart

Triton 420 GT 2008. Skoda Superb MK111 Saloon
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:16 am
by Bryn | 990 Posts

do you have wind up windows as well?????

Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 41 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12503 topics and 105516 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1