My Walker awning arrived today

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:58 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Well, like the heading states - the Walker Touring Plus awning that I ordered about 2 weeks ago arrived this morning. A quick unpack to check the list of contents etc followed by an inspection of the overall product i.e. seams etc and I was immediately left with two impressions: (1) this awning is a quality product, well made and should last a few years and (2) WTF - no not that WTF but Where The Flippin-eck does everything go. There's more bits and bobs to this awning than my next door neighbours son has Leggo bricks, and he's twenty five years of age lol. I'll have to fire off an email to Walker in the morning enquiring as to whether they just make up a standard pack of screws and the like that fit every model and whether actually necessary for your particular model doesn't enter the equation, it just gets shipped with everything.
The final proof of the quality of this awning will come next Spring when we finally get to erect it of course but first impressions are positive.

Scroll up

RE: My Walker awning arrived today

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:21 pm
by Randa france | 12.854 Posts

How exciting is that ! I bet you won't be able to wait until spring. Half a chance and you'll be down the road to your nearest piece of grass (weather permitting) and will be checking it out.
I think I'm right in saying that all traditional shaped Eriba awnings have a lot in common regarding where everything goes. In our case we just sat down with all the poles of our Clairval awning laid out in front of us and within a quarter of an hour everything became clear. It was apparent that all the major upright poles could only be used in the one position and each of the rafter poles had a different fixing, one end to the other, so it was impossible to put them in the wrong place.
Just found this: http://www.walker-awnings.co.uk/product/.../eriba-touring/
They look the business don't they? Steel or glass fibre poles?
R

"http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/w/wales-1627.gif"
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:29 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #2

Just found this: http://www.walker-awnings.co.uk/product/.../eriba-touring/
They look the business don't they? Steel or glass fibre poles?
R

Neither. Now if you'd said alluminium (like it states in the features) you'd have had at least a 1 in 3 chance. You really must try harder, I've already had cause to send you a message on FB questioning two similar groups.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:34 pm
by Randa france | 12.854 Posts

Now how did I miss that? You wouldn't believe that I worked for 25 years in the aluminium industry would you?

As for Facebook, I've not been on there since this morning so will go there right away
R

"http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/w/wales-1627.gif"
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:39 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

nice awning

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:31 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Have you got one then Pop - would be nice if I could steal one or two tips?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:05 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

I have this one, its a 2012 model, some what slightly cheaper than the wonderful walker you have...

make a cuppa to relax before breaking out awning,
try to remember the un folding sequence for repacking..
once all poles fitted used coloured tape for marking poles, to help building quicker next time around
clean the rail out with something slippy to make sliding awning on easier, in the olden days we used pledge, but alas it contains silicone and that's a no no regarding the grp roof
purchase a little stool to help the feeding in if on a sloping site,
buy some rock pegs
enjoy

Last edited Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:07 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:18 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

An uncut video of the first erection would be good (for a belly laugh)

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:22 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Oh shame, I was hoping you'd be able to help with this little problem. With most of the instructions most gets lost in the translation (Dutch > English) and even the English version sounds like Double Dutch if that makes sense at all LOL. Anyway, most of it I can work out using a bit of 'Common' but the middle section has got me beat.
The image appears to show BOTH the awning and the roof supporting piece inserted into the awning rail which I can't believe for one minute. The bottom section of the 'T' piece (the piece running parallel to the awning rail) is figure of 8 shaped with a small section cut out at both the top and bottom of the figure 8. In fact the shape is very similar to that piece on the Isabella that goes across the front of the wheel arch and into which the draught cover slides into.
They've also supplied a part that they call 'Weisse Strip' (White Strip) which is as long as the awning rail so obviously has something to do with that. It too has a slot running along it's length but a much small slot so goodness knows where this is supposed to fit and as per sods law, absolutely no mention of it in any of the instructions. In fact the only place it gets a mention is in the invoice.........fat lot of good that is.

Have no fear P I B, an uncut version of the first erection (can we say that on here lol?) complete with all expletives, blaming the OH for not pulling her weight and even the final 'sod it' let's go down to the pub.

Roof Section 8.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:33 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:29 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

could that be supported on the silver thing you found in drawer?

looking at photo it looks like there is a strap sewn in to support the poles in middle

the w... strip sits on the top awning rail lip to stop water running onto awning connection

Last edited Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:31 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:36 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

What photo? I forgot to attach it (evenings are always a problem with my grey cells lol) and your post reminded me to do just that......which of course I've just done.
No, those silver bits in the drawer don't come into it (a) cos they came with the van and not the awning and (b) Walker specifically told me upon my initial enquiry from them that nothing is actually screwed, or needs to be screwed into the awning rail (or anywhere else for that matter) when erecting their awnings. By all accounts it's a thing of the past.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:49 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

And here's an image of that Weisse Strip (White Strip) I mentioned a little earlier. Sorry about the quality but the strip is folder in half (large curve) inside the shower of our guest bathroom and I shot it with my phone. Anyway, once again the strip is as long as the awning rail so obviously has something to do with that but it's an unusually shaped slot and I can't think where on earth it goes.
On reflection I think the awning slides into the awning rail and the bottom of that upside down 'T' piece slots - no roughly clamps - onto the outside edge of the rail itself. That still leaves the question of this White Strip though.

Weisse Strip.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:05 pm
by hob (deleted)

a20130723102112-4469 - Copy.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I have seen those white strips before (i don:t have one) they fit on the top of the awning rail to deflect rain water. I may have a picture somewhere.

Last edited Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:17 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:08 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Yes a picture would be very nice. The difficulty I am having is that when when the awning itself is slid into the rail and then the upside down 'T' piece is attached to the lower lip of the rail it then pushes the awning itself into a vertical position and in doing so covers up the top lip of the awning rail. If of course you attach the strip first (before pushing up and extending the 'T' piece you end up with the White Strip also in a vertical position so in effect covering nothing at all.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:18 pm
by hob (deleted)

See above.

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 55 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12500 topics and 105506 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4