Alloy Wheels

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:09 pm
by Randa france | 12.853 Posts

Traditionally, when you used to compare cars with steel wheels to their rather more flashy sisters who sported alloys, the alloy wheels were one size bigger, ie. a 15" Steel wheeled Galaxy and a 16" Alloy wheeled Galaxy.
Does the same apply to Eriba Caravans or are they like sized and take the same size tyre?
I am aware that the studs are a different length on Eriba alloy wheels when compared with steel wheels so those with a steel spare need to carry an additional set of wheel studs.
R

"http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/w/wales-1627.gif"

Last edited Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:09 pm | Scroll up

RE: Alloy Wheels

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:21 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

14" alloys on my Triton 430 and the spare steel wheel is the same size. And yes, came supplied with an extra set of bolts. Can't say I noticed a difference in size although I haven't taken them out of the packet yet. What is different though is the flange under the bolt head.

Last edited Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:22 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:40 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.737 Posts

Be sure to keep them in the caravan permanently as you'll need them if you have to change a wheel while towing.

Forum Administrator

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:55 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #1
Traditionally, when you used to compare cars with steel wheels to their rather more flashy sisters who sported alloys, the alloy wheels were one size bigger, ie. a 15" Steel wheeled Galaxy and a 16" Alloy wheeled Galaxy.
Does the same apply to Eriba Caravans or are they like sized and take the same size tyre?

The reason for the increased diameter of alloys is usually, but not always, cosmetic. The downside of vanity is that in order to retain the same rolling radius (and therefore avoid buggering up the gearing and the speedometer reading) the tyres fitted to the alloys are shorter (and stiffer) in the sidewall, and the ride suffers as a consequence.

The manufacturer would say that the stiffer sidewall improves turn-in and sharpens up the handling, and is therefore a Good Thing.

A crashy ride and loose dentures might suggest otherwise.

When I got the Troll's alloys, I just refitted the tyres from the steel wheels. The alloys are half a section wider than the steelies - 6J rather than 5.5J - but the tyres can accommodate that easily. The diameter is the same, as Alan said.

Last edited Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:17 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 58 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12500 topics and 105504 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0