RE: Nose weight

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:31 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Thanks guys, will have to investigate that 907 business a bit further. No spare wheel for me either R. whilst every other car that I've ever owned came with one as standard and never been called into action. Now I don't have one you wait and see, the inevitable will happen.

Replacement lock & cylinder collected and fitted - ouch, 67,34 Euros so will have to go gently gently in the future.

Last edited Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:31 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:11 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

Big confession - I have never done a nosewheel check or thought about. Although she tows a dream and I have never noticed anything extraordinary behind the Ford CMax, now I am starting to think about it, having read various threads on the subject. We travel with the car boot pretty full including the booze stock. I always load the awning 2 1/2 bags(if we are taking it) over the Eriba axle, then all the cupboards are full with all the bits and pieces food and utensils/pots/Remoska etc. 2 x 907 camping gas bottle in the locker, no water carried. Not lots of clothing. TV in car, bedding under beds

I will have read up and research what I must do and no doubt it's going to cost me money in some sort of equipment.

A painting wot i done
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:15 pm
by crow (deleted)

Don't forget there is a minimum Eriba noseweight and it should never be less.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:23 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

Hampshireman
it may only cost you a piece of wood a saw for the wood, and bathroom scales you may already have

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:25 am

Ah OK thanks, I will have to read up on the procedure.

A painting wot i done
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:31 pm
by Unhitched (deleted)

I have always put heavy stuff aka Awning and accessories over the wheels....that's what I have always been told. I would be nervous doing anything otherwise. Please advise!! Not got much room in car due to 2 dogs...and needing to leave room for the inevitable items Mrs Hitch suddenly adds in the car just as we are about to leave .

Lee, ' Hitched' to Sarah....and in search of an Eriba to also be hitched to...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:17 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

yes heavy stuff over axle, light stuff up top table fixed in position windows shut, roof locked, gas in locker
tinned food in car, perhaps put awning on back seat it dogs in boot or vice versa. small bottle water in car,

then test nose weight and move items accordingly remembering steadies not down

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:18 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

We travel with the beardie in a canvas crate on the folded rear seat of the car and the boot full of stuff. When we had two beardies our Rosie travelled in a metal crate that just fitted in the boot and the amount of stuff in the boot was reduced and of course more went in the Eriba.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:18 am
by crow (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

My older Troll is only 1000kg, so I gathered up all the kit I take and weighed it,
marking the weights somewhere discreet with a fine tip indelible marker.
A set of cheap scales like these help Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-40kg-...=item2328c92fd7
You can then put bulky but relatively light stuff in the caravan on the axle centreline,
and known heavy stuff between the axles of the towing vehicle (i.e on the back seat
and in the footwell).

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:43 pm
by Unhitched (deleted)

Sounds like I will keep to the suggestive recommendations and place heavy items over the van and and car axles. I would assume that awnings placed at the back of a van would be just asking for swaying problems and probably just done by inexperienced towers......I just hope I never travel behind one!!!!

Lee, ' Hitched' to Sarah....and in search of an Eriba to also be hitched to...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:36 am

Well so far we haven't had any sway problems with ours in the back and have travelled all over the continent with such a load distributed like that.

A painting wot i done
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:31 am
by Deeps (deleted)

I've got a Database file (xls) on my PC that I downloaded from somewhere or other - might even have been from here although I'll be darned if I can find it now. Most of the fields (car + van) have already been filled in by the originator of the document but these can be changed at will with the summation updating automatically. Anyone wanting a copy to play with send me a PM with your email address and I'll fire off the xmp file to you. Below are a couple of screenshots of what it looks like. Unfortunately it's not possible to screenshot the entire table because it then appears too small to read.
Example 1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Example 2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
мы прибываем невидимые - we arrive invisible

Last edited Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:01 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:08 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

that's handy
or rather the car a kia cee'd leads me to think sda has been filling in speadsheets is a quasar a lunar?
andy is well known as a speadsheet man

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:11 pm
by KeithDM (deleted)

With our previous caravan (2006 Bailey Oklahoma) it was always a struggle to get the noseweight under 100kg. With our 2013 540GT, the problem is the other way round - it is a struggle trying to achieve a reasonable weight! With 2 x 7kg Calor bottles in the locker, 10L (10kg) water in the onboard water tank (which sits in the front left corner), lots of crockery etc in the front lockers, 2 x mains cables, hitch lock and wheel clamp on the floor under the front table; fire extinguisher and some foodstuffs and towels etc under the front right seat, I might achieve circa 45kg. We have taken to leaving the big table at home but even then I think the highest load I've measured is 50kg. These measurements were taken using the calibrated Milanco noseweight gauge. There is nothing heavy stored aft of the kitchen/wardrobe area. At this rate I might have to take the spare wheel out of its underfloor cradle and carry it in the car, which rather defeats the purpose of the cradle.

Keith

2013 540GT & Honda CR-V 2.2 iDTEC ES-T
Emile the (less than perfect but still loveable) Eriba
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:14 pm
by Randa france | 12.859 Posts

Zitat
At this rate I might have to take the spare wheel out of its underfloor cradle and carry it in the car, which rather defeats the purpose of the cradle.

We've been doing that for years Keith. It wasn't with respect to the nose weight however. It was to do with just how little clearance one would have to remove the spare wheel from under the van with a flat tyre and we weren't too happy with crawling under a jacked up van. I suppose we could have temporarily wound down the corner steadies for safety but it seemed far easier to carry the spare in the car. After all, it now shares a place behind the front seats with the car spare wheel which, in their wisdom, VW didn't think to include as standard

We've removed our cradle.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:17 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12509 topics and 105553 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4