Nose weight

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:47 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Now from everything I've been reading one should aim for a nose weight of between five and seven percent. So, if that's the case I wouldn't be able to pack my Triton 430 to it's capacity of 1200kg as 5% of this gives me an allowable nose weight of 60kg and 7% a figure of 84kg whereas my vehicles towbar only allows for 75kg as indeed I think a lot of cars do. In fact, only loading to 1100kg brings me to 77kg at the 7% value so um.......am I missing something obvious here guys and gals?
OK, thumb in bum and brain to neutral again here Alan. Of course a max of 75kg on the towbar would fit inbetween the range of 60 and 84kg although it's still pretty tight.

Last edited Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:49 pm | Scroll up

RE: Nose weight

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:31 pm
by hob (deleted)

How much weight is on the nose depends on how its loaded........................if you put everything in the back it will be a minus figure.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:31 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

The 5% to 7% is a guideline and anywhere between those % should be OK. The thing to worry about is not going over the limit of the 'weakest' item in your rigs drag chain - car noseweight limit, towbar noseweight limit or caravan hitch noseweight limit. Aside from that aim for the heaviest noseweight within the limits as anecdotal evidence says the heavier the noseweight the more stable the ride.

Last edited Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:32 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:11 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Thanks for that PIB.
@ gladly - do you by any chance work for the Citizens Advice Bureau?

Last edited Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:11 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Having had two Troll 540s I was a bit non-plussed when I tested the noseweight of my Lunar. The 540s with two gas cylinders up front were fairly easy to get to a noseweight of around 70kg. The Lunar on the other hand had a noseweight of more than 120kg with two gas cylinders in the locker and very little else on board.

So we travel with only one gas cylinder which is fine as long as we ensure it's fullish when we start a trip. Even then to get down to 70kg I have to run with empty front bench lockers and the awning, poles and pegs, plus as much heavy gear as I can fit in the two dinette seat lockers up the very back. I know it's not good practice but it doesn't seem to cause stability problems and it's the only way I can get the correct weight.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:23 pm
by Randa france | 12.855 Posts

Don't know anything about them apart from a friend has them in his Bailey, but has anyone tried the BP Gaslight bottles?
R

"http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/w/wales-1627.gif"

Last edited Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:27 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:17 pm

Not tried them although I understand Homebase stock them.

We use a Calor Lite and swap it about with a standard Calor. Given our noseweight probs I should swap over to Calor Lite for both.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:21 pm
by Sparks | 33 Posts

I've recently bought a 530 and am just getting to grips with balancing out the noseweight. I've got two calor lite cylinders up front and find it difficult to get the noseweight over 55kg, but I guess that's ok, my Golf can handle 75kg. Presumably the mover and leisure battery are the issue at the rear. I was just concerned about loading things up front to counterbalance. At 55kg the ride appears ok through my limited experience of just two trips away. I must admit it's quite a hard ride over poorly maintained B roads though, fine on motorways.
Andy

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:24 pm

I've also got a 530 Andy, be it the older 1000kg model. I tow it with a 2 litre Touran.
I have to admit that I've never measured the nose weight however. Because we do most of out touring abroad, we carry 2qty Camping Gaz cylinders in the gas locker.
Our front under seat lockers carry bulky lightweight items like a roll up aluminium table and four stools. A TV aerial etc. plus some heavier items like awning pegs and EHU cables etc. We also fold the front table and seats down and lay our folding chairs on top.
The rear lockers are for the leisure battery and pots and pans etc.
I have found that the balance has always been great until that is, I removed the caravan spare wheel from under the back (I now carry it in the car). I've substituted that missing weight by carrying a 35 litre plastic box and lid, filled with food items, under the rear table.
Everything is now back in balance. I really should try it on a nose weight gauge however...
R

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:29 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Where is the beer and wine carried?

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:34 pm

Normally inside me........before you can get at it

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:08 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.738 Posts

We tow our Triton with a 2.0 Tfsi (petrol) Audi A4 Cabrio and Audi recommend that the nose weight should be at the maximum, i.e.75 Kg with the car also loaded. I have to increase the normal car tyre pressures from 33 psi all round to 42 psi all round when towing so I carry a 12V compressor in the car boot.

We do most of our touring in France so always carry a Calorlight propane bottle plus a CampinGaz 907 cylinder which we can replace on the Continent. To be honest, we hardly ever use any gas as we always go for pitches with EHU and tend to use our Lidl induction hob for cooking and the Truma Ultraheat if we need to keep warm. The 907 cylinder is mostly used for cooking in the awning with the Cadac Safari Chef.

To get the nose weight up I stow our two folding bikes between the fridge and the wardrobe with the two Duvalays on the floor at the front to cushion them. We usually travel with the water and toilet tanks empty, unless it's a short journey.

It works for us.

Forum Administrator

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:30 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Graculus wrote in post #12
We do most of our touring in France so always carry a ......... CampinGaz 907 cylinder which we can replace on the Continent.

Does the standard i.e. as it left the factory, 30Mb regulator fit straight onto the 907?

@ Randa. Do you leave the second row of seats in your Touran or remove them? I've got the 7-seater version and whilst the back two are permanently collapsed (only lifted for hoovering lol) I've always removed the middle row of three in the past as with tent camping we used to almost move house. One pair of shoes will do darling - no I need six..........you get the picture?
I'll probably going to do the same when towing the van as it will bring down the MRO which in my handbook is given as 1590kg (75kg driver + tank 3/4 full). With the MTPLM being given as 2240kg bringing down the MRO by removing the seats will allow for more being packed in the car as opposed to being placed in the van.

Ref the Alu bottles - yes, from what I read they are 4kg lighter than the steel version and as at present we carry two of the latter that would be a saving of 8kg up front. We've never actually run with the van loaded as yet, that will come in Spring, so I'll see how it goes with the nose weight at that time. If far too heavy I'll remove one of the bottles in the short term and consider replacing them (it) with Alu bottles at some time in the future. The only reason we've got the 2 x 5kg Butane setup is because the dealer threw them in as part of the deal when buying and me............well never look a gift horse in the mouth I say even if having two bottles is totally unpractical lol
A couple of 907's might do the trick depending on what Graculus comes back with as we already have one of those that we used for our Campingaz Grill when camping. We've also got a multitude of small disposable Campingaz tins for the gas light thing plus a slightly larger variety that we used for our multi-cooker when touring on the motorbikes. I tell you - we've got more potential high explosive in our possession that would put the likes of Guy Fawkes to shame.

Right off out now - our local caravan shop called yesterday advising that the replacement locker knob/key cylinder has arrived so taking my BMW (bring more wallet) I shall now go and collect it. Wonder how long it'll be before I bugger this one up.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:06 am

Hi Alan. Yes, we take the second row of seats out of the Touran and, of course keep the rear two collapsed which therefore leaves us with a small van with windows in it
That way we can throw everything in the back without worrying too much that it won't all fit. The biggest bugbear with the Touran, and many other modern cars nowadays, is that they come as standard without a spare wheel. I insisted that they supplied one. Therefore, when touring, the Touran spare sits upright, immediately behind one of the front seats in the rear seat footwell and the Eriba spare sits behind the other.
Regarding the Camping Gaz 907, I'm not sure what is supplied as standard in Germany but on our van, I had to change the "push on and lock" regulator for a threaded one.
R

Last edited Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:07 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:16 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.738 Posts

>Does the standard i.e. as it left the factory, 30Mb regulator fit straight onto the 907?

Our van is a 2003 model immediately prior to the bulkhead-mounted regulator so I carry two separate regulators and would swap them over if needed. To date I haven't needed to use the 907 for the van but carry the regulator just to be safe.

Gas bottles.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The pic shows the shelf I made to carry the 907 and provide extra storage space. The woodwork has long since been sprayed black to match the interior of the gas locker.

Forum Administrator

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 37 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12503 topics and 105515 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2