Up and down, up and down

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:42 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Can I ask a question of all you chaps who diligently pump your car tyres to the recommended pressure before hitching up?

Assuming you potter around in the motor once you've got where you're going, do you let them down again - and pump 'em up again before you move sites or come home - or do your tyres spend the whole time you're away blown up so hard that loose bits drop off the car?

Last edited Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:47 am | Scroll up

RE: Up and down, up and down

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:59 am
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

I leave them blown up and risk losing my fillings

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:00 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

When camping with our huge Outwell tent and carrying everything but the kitchen sink lol, I pumped the tyres up to that recommended for 5 passengers + luggage i.e. the maximum stated in the tank filling cap. I memory serves it was something in the order of 2.2 bars up front and 3.0 bars at the rear. On site and for normal driving around I lowered the pressures to 2.2 bars all round filling up to max once more when packing up and returning home. For this exercise I carry a 12V portable compressor. Used to use a large bicycle pump but gave that up as a bad job as it was too much like hard work.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:13 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.738 Posts

It all depends how long we are staying in one place but generally, I will inflate them for towing and deflate them for cruising. With the compressor it only takes a few minutes to reinflate them prior to hitching up so it's no big deal.

The ride in my car is hard even at 33psi as it has the S-line sports suspension and 235/40R18 Y 95 tyres. On an overnight stop in France in September we nipped out to the supermarket with the tyres at towing pressure but the car didn't feel 'right' and the ride was noticeably harsher.

So, yes, it's up and down for me.

Forum Administrator

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:43 pm
by Randa france | 12.859 Posts

Up and down, up and down???
But of course, Oh hell yes. Mais qui.
Mindful of my car manufacturer's recommended tyre pressures for 2 passengers/5 passengers/7 passengers, I am often seen at a local bus stop adding 5 psi to my tyres as I wish to give two old friends a lift to town.

"http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/w/wales-1627.gif"
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:46 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

It's probably easier to stop and tell them to catch a bus

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:49 pm
by hob (deleted)

Am I missing something? I thought tyre pressure was dictated by the weight in the car, does towing make a difference or are you referring to the extra stuff you pack in the car? the caravan should only add to that weight by around 25 to 75 Kg for the nose weight.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:00 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Depends on the brand of car, but mine says something like 'increase the tyre pressures to 'X' when carrying a full load and/or towing'.

Last edited Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:53 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:33 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.738 Posts

I'm only going by the advice given in the owner's handbook on the basis that Audi know more about it than I do.

Forum Administrator

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:55 pm
by hob (deleted)

Ahhh I see must look at my book, I usually run with the rears a bit on the high side as I used to often have 1\2 ton or so of engines in the back at weekends but since my shoulder got worse I gave that up.
Its full of all sorts of junk and caravan stuff now so I leave it that way, with the springs that it has on the back end it makes no difference to comfort anyway (its just uncomfortable all the time)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:48 pm
by Stew (deleted)

The recommended pressures are for the handling of the car. When you add the noseweight plus luggage and then have rear passengers as well the weight change front to rear is quite considerable in some cars. Overall weight does come into it but the change in pressures is mainly for handling and comfort. I get round it by not buying cars with this requirement. It is a pain.

Stewart

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:19 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Stew wrote in post #11
I get round it by not buying cars with this requirement.

Well that's interesting, Stewart, a car whose tyre pressures you don't need to adjust to match any varying loads. Mind if I ask what make it is?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:29 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

perhaps its a landrover, or other 4x4 brand?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:48 am
by Randa france | 12.859 Posts
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:54 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

o my you think a chieftan?

Scroll up

Visitors
7 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12508 topics and 105552 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 7