Baltic Wharf

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:42 pm
by Agger | 2.395 Posts

For the third time this year I have visited the Caravan Club site at Baltic Wharf, and each time I have been requested to nose in as I have a foreign caravan! I have owned 2 foreign caravans over a total of 23 years in the UK and only ever been asked to do this at Baltic Wharf. Why is this the case? I have asked the wardens who did not seem to know, especially when I showed them a copy of a letter stating "that nose in or out" is the club policy. I am booked on here

Baltic Wharf Caravan Club Site Thank you for your email regarding pitching at the above site. I can confirm that The Club do not insist on which direction the caravan is facing providing it is positioned on the peg so that the fire break is maintained. Wardens will advise that with a continental caravan you may be stepping straight out onto the grass finger and will be in close proximity to the adjacent caravans awning/door so neighbouring caravans may object. This is exaggerated at Baltic Wharf because the pitches are narrow. So we ask that where possible members also consider the wishes of others on site. Some of the awning pitches are too narrow at Baltic Wharf to accommodate awning to awning (ie when a continental van pitches next to a conventional van) as a sufficient firebreak cannot be achieved, so the caravan would need to be reversed in this instance. In summary we ask that the caravan is pitched to the peg, the required fire breaks are maintained at all times and other members on site are considered. Thank you again for your email.

Last edited Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:46 pm | Scroll up

RE: Baltic Wharf

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:07 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

When we had 540's we nearly always pitched nose in. It's the only way to ensure you don't walk out straight into next doors awning

Anyway you either get a good view out the front or back on an Eriba. On most UK vans these days the back is a bathroom with no windows.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:31 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.084 Posts

Is this only a problem for people without a mover?

I don't think we'd be bothered which way we pitched but on narrow pitches I don't like being awning to awning.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:39 pm
by Agger | 2.395 Posts

My problem is in all the years I have been caravanning this has only crept in (at least where I'm affected) quite recently! I have no need for a mover as I can reverse and my vans have been foreign ie door on the wrong side for over 30 years.

How do I put my foreign fifth wheeler nose in? ;-)

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:43 pm

You'd never get it through the gates at BW.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:07 pm
by Pop540 | 1.543 Posts

can I just ask a very strange question?
if nose in the sun is on the passenger side, where do you sit outside?
in the cooled awning, near the back window or on the side facing next pitch?
we move with the sun

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:12 am
by ellen | 518 Posts

We couldn't go to a site if it insisted on nose in as Mark refuses to be made to and we don't have a mover so it would take some pushing and shoving on hardstanding. As the cc don't insist on it it seems crazy that some sites insist on it, ellen

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:08 pm
by Crow (deleted)

I thought Baltic Wharf (is that a Klingon name) was due to become a building site
sometime soon,

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:15 pm
by Agger | 2.395 Posts

The last I heard was they had the land contract until the end of 2014 but after that it is up for renewal and the means up against developers and all the money that can bring, the person I spoke to was well informed, but had no more info, hth

Got some nice pice from there on MY Sony RX100 ;-) ;-)

Last edited Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:20 pm | Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:58 pm
by Randa france | 7.183 Posts

Quote: Agger wrote in post #9
Got some nice pice from there on MY Sony RX100 ;-) ;-)

Let's see a few then

"http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/w/wales-1627.gif"
Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:46 pm
by Agger | 2.395 Posts

I would but to be honest I haven't downloaded them yet, since having this phone I seldom use my laptop, maybe twice this year and that is only to download photos or music, rest assured though I will when I get the old lappy out again

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:54 pm
by KeithF (deleted)

Hi Ellen we would refuse as well ,caravanning is surposed to be relaxing ,not much fun pushing our Troll the wrong way on grass ,I would need a week off work to recover.

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:41 am
by Agger | 2.395 Posts

I agree totally with the "refuse" thing. However despite what the other place has made people think of me and my attitude! I always stick to the rules, hence a totally clean crime record, no parking tickets, etc etc.

So unless you phone the site to ask or there is a box on the online booking form you don't know the policy until you get there! In my instance I have visited Baltic Wharf many times (5 last year) and as I say it has only just started to creep in!

Baltic is very popular as are the London sites and many others for foreign visitors, I wonder what they think of our prehistoric rules! On the continental sites I have visited and there have been many! I could pitch how I wanted, the only exception I can remember was at Cheimsee (sp) where we were pushed in by hand to our pitch as it was so tight to access.

I'll continue to use Baltic as long as it's available BUT I won't give up the fight, that would be woosy

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:08 am

Life's too short aggers and the wardens no doubt made cautious by the CCs phobia about pitching.

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:18 pm
by Agger | 2.395 Posts

Trouble is I'm not a quitter

Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Dickyrivs
Board Statistics
The forum has 6774 topics and 62732 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5