Walker Touring Plus Awning

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:00 pm
by gwte | 35 Posts

Hello,
Just become the proud owner of an Eriba Troll. Bought a Walker Awning with it. Tried it all out last weekend. Eriba fantastic, however found assembling and putting down the awning not so good.
For many years owned a Folding Camper and built the frame first then pulled over the awning. Tried the same with the Walker and it didn't work so well. The instructions are a translation from Dutch and so aren't fantastic.
Was wondering where to start building and then attaching to the awning. Have tried YouTube with no success.
When bringing down the awning it was more like a collapse than a proper disassembly.
Noticed an earlier thread about the awning but there was not any guidance on how to put it up.
Any advice gratefully accepted.

Scroll up

RE: Walker Touring Plus Awning

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:34 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Yes there is a certain knack to erecting and then taking down the Walker awning but once you’ve done it a couple of times you’ll be able to get the job done and be sitting inside of it enjoying a tipple of your favourite whatever within the hour.

In the comfort of your own home mark the ends of the poles (I used a fine waterproof marker pen) to match with the drawing that accompanied the instructions. Having done that, bundle them separately i.e. tie the left hand poles together, the centre poles together and the right hand side poles together before placing the whole lot in the bag. When on site place the poles in their respective positions a few metres in front of the caravan.
It also pays to have some string or a couple of lengths of tent line/guy line in addition to a couple of pegs on hand and you’ll see why in a moment.

First fit the white plastic strip on top of the awning rail assuming that you ordered this along with the awning following which, slide the awning into the awning rail. I always lay out a plastic sheet in front of the caravan to keep everything clean.

One person now goes under the awning and fits the front ridge pole (the bit with the spike on it) up through the appropriate hole in the awning. Immediately following this, fit a clear plastic cap over the spike that is protruding through the awning. This prevents water leaking down through the gap between the ridge pole and the awning hole. Fit it at this stage because you won’t be able to get to it later on.

The second person now passes the remaining sections of the centre roof poles to enable the first person and together they fit them together. It is important at this stage to apply a bit of pressure to the centre poles in order to keep the ridge pole upright. Finally join the centre roof poles with the front centre pole. Remember to keep pushing back (in the direction of the caravan) the entire centre roof poles – the ridge pole must stay upright. With the entire centre section in place, one person should now tie a couple of pieces of string/tent guy line to the spike on top of the centre front roof pole and peg out left and right. By pegging out the centre roof section at this stage it ensures that what you have erected thus far stays both upright and stable.
If this is sounding complicated – don’t worry as it’s actually easier in real life than it is trying to verbally explain it.

At this stage it’s simply a case of starting to build up the two sides.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM

Poptop320, gwte, and like this post!
Last edited Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:44 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:05 pm
by hob (deleted)

Caravan shops sell packs of three colours of insulating tape to be used to mark poles.

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:44 pm
by gwte | 35 Posts

Many thanks for your swift replies. I'll be trying it out again in two weeks time. I like the idea of the string! I'm expecting that it will be easier after a couple of goes.
I used to be able to put up the camper awning by myself with the help of strategically placed chairs but that won't happen with the new awning!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:26 pm
by nkm540 (deleted)

We are also the proud owners of a troll and the bit about the string has solved a problem we had,we was about two pair of hands short when we had a go at putting it up.

and gwte like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:46 pm
by Kadders (deleted)

We've just got a Walker touring plus awning and put it up for first time in Norfolk last Saturday. With help from two experienced campers us 4 and them got it up after scratching of heads and much laughing. It'll be easier next time but there's no way we would have got it up first time on our own.
Great quality and spacious.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:38 pm
by Doonhamer | 77 Posts

We inherited a Walker awning with our Puck L & find it great for longer stays. I hope you marked the frame up with a variety of colours of insulation tape to help you out next time.

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2