Using the Picture Gallery - an explanatory note

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:32 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.738 Posts

As there seems to be some confusion currently about the function of the forum's Picture Gallery feature, this note is intended to clarify how it should be used.

The Picture Gallery provides a location where members can upload one or two interesting or notable photographs that they wish to share together with brief explanatory captions. You can add your pictures to existing galleries or create new ones.

The gallery was never intended to be used for hosting whole albums of members' pictures and with very nearly 500 members at present you can imagine the impact on the site should everyone decide to use it in this fashion.

Should you wish to share a series of pictures of your travels, for example, then please create a new thread in the appropriate part of the forum where you can upload your pictures together with your comments. Alternatively, you could create a blog for the same purpose.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Randa france and like this post!
Last edited Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:52 pm | Scroll up

RE: Using the Picture Gallery - an explanatory note

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:42 am
by Wordspace (deleted)

I'm not sure how the board is set up, but I imagine that there's a limit on the amount of image storage it can handle without incurring extra fees. So a good way to show an album of pics would be to set it up offsite somewhere, such as on Flickr or Imgur (www.imgur.com), and pick a representative "cover shot" image, posting that here with a link to the album.

Olivers Twists at http://martynoliver.wordpress.com/
Randa france and Poptop320 like this post!
Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:02 pm
by Randa france | 12.859 Posts

And if you are already a member of Flickr then you can join us on Flickr's Eribafolk Group :- https://www.flickr.com/groups/eriba/
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:52 pm | Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:04 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Wordspace wrote in post #2
I'm not sure how the board is set up, but I imagine that there's a limit on the amount of image storage it can handle without incurring extra fees. So a good way to show an album of pics would be to set it up offsite somewhere, such as on Flickr or Imgur (www.imgur.com), and pick a representative "cover shot" image, posting that here with a link to the album.
As far as I'm aware there is no limit on image storage as such. If there is one, it certainly doesn't mention it anywhere.

The only restriction I can find is an upload limit of 2MB per file (per picture), so other than making it a bit tedious for people with a very slow connection to view the results there is no need to limit uploads to 200kB.

The other place has a very low picture file size limit for their own reasons and in my very humble opinion their pictures suffer because of it.

In other words, if it takes yonks for you to upload a picture or if you feel that it's an imposition on others who might have slow connections to look at them, then by all means make your pictures a bit smaller, but it isn't strictly necessary, especially if you think your picture is particularly ace and you'd like other people to see it at its best.

Having said that, using Flickr, Photobucket, Dropbox or something similar in the way you suggest for a shed load of pictures in an album is indeed a top idea.

R5n4-02f LdW17-h ncJ-515

Last edited Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:21 pm | Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:20 pm
by hob (deleted)

Time maybe for some more info on photobucket

photobucket.com

It is free to join and I have used it for a number of years, according to their statistics I have 2329 pictures and 1 short vid on there which equates to 7 % of my storage limit

Obviously there is no such thing as a free service and the amount of hard disk space they have invested in and the server space \ bandwidth they must be paying for is huge but they also sell printing facilities extra storage space advertising etc so storing a few thousand resized images is free.................
You can create albums and sub albums, and easily link images to forums.
If this works you should see a cactus album of mine with my album tree (hard to tell what you will see as i'm logged in to here and there)
http://s195.photobucket.com/user/hobspics/library/rebutia?sort=3&page=1

Anyway its been a great asset to me on various forums and is the only way I have found to add images to a blog on Eribafolk .com
So if you want to share images or post a blog here have a go...............Images wider than 700 pixels have a bad habit of distorting forum pages sideways ...........please bear that in mind not only here but any other forums where you might wish to share your images

hob

Sample image

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:36 am | Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:53 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #5

In other words, if it takes yonks for you to upload a picture or if you feel that it's an imposition on others who might have slow connections to look at them, then by all means make your pictures a bit smaller, but it isn't strictly necessary, especially if you think your picture is particularly ace and you'd like other people to see it at its best.

Hi Pete, been on a couple of sites this year where bandwidth was severely limited like the one in Yorkshire where sitting outside the office was a must even to get online I had to deliberately not look at peoples images while there so endorse this comment.

With regard to previous discussion some forum providers charge by disk space (and also bandwidth usage) others seem to charge more recently by membership numbers (a comment on how hard disk technology and prices have moved on at a frightening pace) i remember the days when a 1 gig hard drive was considered a miracle ........ now they are measures in tera bites

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Pepé Le Pew and like this post!
Last edited Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:08 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12508 topics and 105552 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4