Awning Pole fittings

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:48 am
by Taffy (deleted)

I used some white guidelines recently as they were all I had but found when it was a little blustery the canopy was not very secure. I have these poles and wondered if there was a special storm fixing that may fit them to make it more windproof. This is the sun canopy I have and the poles.

REDA Eriba Ravenna .jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) DSCF8286.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:50 am | Scroll up

RE: Awning Pole fittings

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:27 am
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Nice sun canopy Taffy. Presumably it's the Reda Sun Canopy you talk about in another thread? Can you also add the photo to our Sun Canopy Gallery please?

Regarding storm fixings, I don't know of any except the standard awning storm strap which will be far too heavy for this application. Hopefully someone will come up with something.
I take it you hook your guy ropes over the poles on top of the canvas to trap the canvas underneath them? Apart from that you could try sloping the bottoms of the poles in towards the van. I've found that it does help.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:31 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:30 am
by Frantone (deleted)

Friends of ours have one of those canopies on their Swift Wobbly Box. They have tried in vain to make it stand up to anything stronger than a gentle breeze. It seems to be just too light and by the nature of its shape it always seems to catch the wind. I suppose after all it is only called a 'sun canopy'.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

Aaron Calder likes this post!

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:22 am
by crow (deleted)

I lower the side the wind is coming from and drop the centre pole as if to let water run off,
angle in the bottom of the poles then retighten the guys.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 DSC_0129 raining.jpg 

Some OAP's Should Get Holiday Pay
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:31 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

The side wall I don't put straight down, I pulled it to an angle which means it has 2ft approx and runs out past the Eriba, that way it was not so much of a wind trap. And I did angle the poles into the van so it was more stable. I am assuming that the ulema poles with the plastic looped bit must be to take some form of fixing, but have not been able to find anything yet.

Last edited Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:34 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:09 pm
by Agger (deleted)

You could make your own? You can buy "tape" which is'nt tape at all! It's similar to narrow seat belt type material or tie down straps (similar to small straps on a ruksac, I have a few of these which were for a different purpose, you can buy it by the metre and the fittings can be an assortmennt of whatever suits you

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 20150726_151412.jpg 

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! Has an empty space where once a very polished Eriba stood😎

likes this post!
Last edited Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:15 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:00 am
by Taffy (deleted)

Going back to trying to get this canopy stand up to anything other than a puff of wind seems imposible. Was taking it down at 2.30 am on a recent trip as the poles went clattering down. I had bought decent guy lines and tighten them up and set 2 to each pole. I really like the speed to put i t up and lightness as I don't want to far about with almost a tent! Reason I had the Eriba was to get away from tents but something is needed on the outside to leave the chairs etc up. Do you think I should try the universal storm straps and hook those over the poles and anchor them one on each pole plus the guy ropes.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:37 am
by Agger (deleted)

FWIW, I don't think the poles would be man enough for the usual storm strap, again I used to make my own guy lines with climbing accessory line 3, 4 , 5mm line available from ebay etc, costs pennies can be cut to any length if younsearch for paracord it will give you a starter, if you need more information please get back

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! Has an empty space where once a very polished Eriba stood😎

Last edited Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:49 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:45 am
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

'Morning Taffy.
Have you tried rolling up the side in windy conditions?

The reason I ask is because many people will remember a problem we had at the Fforest Fields meet a couple of years ago where we experienced some really bad weather. Early on Sunday morning a very strong wind blew up to accompany torrential rain and at 7am our sunshade/flysheet split at the seams.

A different shape to yours I know but we put it down to the additional side we had added to it (see photos) which acted like a sail. Since we repaired the damage and more recently, have replaced the shade with one of the same design, we've had no problems with it but we've not used the additional side since (admittedly we've not experienced weather quite as bad as that morning).

IMG_5338-Fforest-Fields,-Bu.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) 2013 Fforest Fields with the "sail" added

IMG_3322.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) This year

My only other suggestion is perhaps a bit extreme but have you thought of a couple of Earth anchors to drop the poles into? We use them frequently for line posts, flag masts etc and can normally get them into the ground whatever the conditions. My main fear however is that if you secure the poles by whatever means so that they won't go anywhere, that side sail will rip the sunshade away from the van.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:47 am
by hob (deleted)

Zitat
I really like the speed to put it up and lightness as I don't want to faf about with almost a tent! Reason I had the Eriba was to get away from tents but something is needed on the outside to leave the chairs etc up.

Sadly it is a fact that anything quick and easy to put up is prone to problems in almost anything but calm conditions and in the UK you have to keep an eye on weather forecasts and be prepared to take them down if needed as I found out in Yorkshire recently with my caravanstore
caravanstore

I also have a WIGO Ultralight Sun canopy which is no better in breezy conditions
g25p416-WIGO-Ultralight-Sun-canopy.html

I tried a smaller home made one which was a little better as it was smaller............... but then you lose the space and it still flaps about
home made jobby

Unfortunately it comes down to a tent like structure like a full or porch awning or nothing when its windy.

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:49 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

I think you may have to accept that what you have is a sun canopy and not an awning and that as such it was not designed to be left erected in all weathers.

That's why we prefer a full awning from which we can zip the front and sides to give the benefits of both a sun canopy and an awning that can be left erected whatever the weather.

I have to admit though that it's only practical if staying put for three or more nights but everything connected with caravanning (and with Eribas in particular, it seems) is a compromise.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:26 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

Thanks for the helpful replies, will try another few trips and see if I can manage to get it to stay for summer use in a light breeze and also try the method of rolling up the wall to stop the trapped wind, so to speak

It seems to lift the canopy of the pole spikes and then clatter down so I will try to perhaps get that sorted but as someone mentioned don't want to make it so secure it could be used in gale force and find it damages anything.

Last edited Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:28 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:31 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Put the guy ropes over the paulin part where the poles go through, also anchor the feet, if done properly it'll stop some of the problem

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 61 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2