RE: External water supply

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:45 am
by hob (deleted)

If at all worried about chopping holes in your pride and joy consider the watering can option, and remember the containers do not have to be full ............the pumps usually sit in the bottom of the containers so do not have to be more than 1\4 full at any one time which equates to about 2 of these in each container.

DSCF3027.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:42 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.740 Posts

I'm a bit confused as to why people think they need such a huge amount of water in a caravan without a shower when staying at sites with washing-up facilities and sanitation? Obviously it would be different if you had a caravan with a built-in shower and actually used it (many WWB owners appear not to), but an Eriba?

The under-sink container in our Triton holds 16 litres and we use that for making tea, cleaning teeth, hand washing and cooking. We very occasionally will boil a kettle and rinse out some pots but nearly always use the site washing up sinks.

Typically, a container of water will last us around four days and if we are only on-site for a day or two, I don't fill the container and try my best to have as little water in it as possible when towing as it makes no economic sense to drag water, which is heavy, between sites wasting fuel in the process.

Three watering cans full of water will top up the container and the toilet flush tank and doing that once every four days or so is hardly an onerous chore.

I'm a great believer in the KISS principle of caravanning - keep it simple, stupid.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

and like this post!
Last edited Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:32 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:08 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #17
I'm a bit confused...
If it walks like a duck...

We choose small sites which frequently don't have swanky washing up facilities, and even if they do we'd mostly rather wash up in the van than cart a bowlful of dirty pots and pans hundreds of yards in the rain to a grubby sink only to be beaten to it by someone else.

Someone else who then leaves all kinds of greasy crap and dead peas in there for the benefit of the next user.

We even dare to use sites which don't have showers or toilets, so we will necessarily consume more water than others do.

Our MO is an Aquaroll which gets filled up when there's nothing left in it. It goes in the van empty, so we aren't towing the deadweight of gallons of water around.

Your KISS ethos is fine for you, but not everyone chooses to do things the way you do, and it's unfair to criticise them for it.

So ner

And anyway, isn't it about time you buggered off to annoy some French people?

R5n4-02f LdW17-h ncJ-515

chezmart and like this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:25 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 am
by chezmart | 181 Posts

Each to their own. We have a van with toilet and washing up facilities so we use them. I find the 23litre fiamma water container lasts 24hrs and to be honest it's no chore to walk and fill it up. Also it keeps the water containers out of the internal cupboards freeing up space and minimises the risk of spillage when topping up. Why walk your kettle to a tap 20yards away when you have one in the van?

, Pepé Le Pew, Magpie and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:25 am
by chezmart | 181 Posts

All of the parts needed I purchased from CAK Tanks in Kenilworth. You will need to work out how much pipe, elbows and T pieces you need to connect WC and kitchen sinks together and then to the Whale socket. The wiring for the taps will also need extending and connecting together.

Martin

and Randa france like this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:44 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:28 am
by Randa france | 12.859 Posts

Here's the link Frantone added some time ago:- CAK

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

likes this post!

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:45 am
by Frantone (deleted)

The taps won't need wiring if you use the pressure sensitive Whale socket.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

likes this post!

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:31 am
by Deeps (deleted)

A question for those who fill up the onboard water tank using the external filling point. Do you rely on the top screw-on cap on top of the water tank to be water tight when filling up, and fill up to the point where the external fill up point overflows? I've never been too sure and have consequently always filled up the tank from inside the van which obviously is a bit of a bind.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:32 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

We have the same idea, fitting and attitude as you Roger and it's Ok except now and then, normally when Carole fits it up, we don't get the water through.
It all looks OK but when I give it an extra bit of a wiggle and thrust it seems to settle it, but I am not happy with the connection really. It should be easy to do.

Waiting for the smart arses to comment as usual.............

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Pepe's Walk

Last edited Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:34 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:43 am

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #18
We choose small sites which frequently don't have swanky washing up facilities, and even if they do we'd mostly rather wash up in the van than cart a bowlful of dirty pots and pans hundreds of yards in the rain to a grubby sink only to be beaten to it by someone else.

We even dare to use sites which don't have showers or toilets, so we will necessarily consume more water than others do.

Your KISS ethos is fine for you, but not everyone chooses to do things the way you do, and it's unfair to criticise them for it.

So ner
It's a bit late for getting all sensitive and touchy. No criticism of anyone was implied. In your circumstances heavy use of water is understandable. It's just a pity that you don't use some to wash occasionally.

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #18
And anyway, isn't it about time you buggered off to annoy some French people?
A week today and we'll be there in full Frog-annoying mode, so ner ner ne ner ner to you with knobs on.

Forum Administrator

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:47 am

Quote: hampshireman wrote in post #24
It all looks OK but when I give it an extra bit of a wiggle and thrust it seems to settle it, but I am not happy with the connection really. It should be easy to do. Waiting for the smart arses to comment as usual.............
Unlike you, I won't rise to the temptation, Derek.

Forum Administrator

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:37 pm

While we're on the subject of water supply and what have you, could anyone explain the benefits of having a built-in fresh water tank with an external filling point like the one I'm guessing Deeps has?

I ask this out of rank ignorance rather than anything else, because I can't actually see that there are any advantages to it over, say, an Aquaroll.

Clearly it's undesirable to tow with water which weighs a kilo a litre sloshing around in the tank from both a weight distribution and a payload perspective, which presumably means having to fill it up every time you pitch camp.

And as Martin says above, the tank's physical size is bound to eat into storage capacity, isn't it?

How do you fill it up? I'm guessing you have to make umpteen trips back and forth with a watering can since you can't hold the caravan under the tap and neither can you use a decent-sized plastic jerrycan-type thing unless you happen to be built like Geoff Capes or Vanessa Feltz.

I'm genuinely interested to know.

Pros? Cons? What's da haps?

Magpie likes this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:46 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:49 pm
by Loveourtroll (deleted)

Do you fit your fiamma container external or internal, I have there waste container and think it's a nice size!
I just want to take it out of the cupboards as it awkward and like you say it's hard not to spill some water I don't feel we need hot water at the minute and changing water is not an issue is space in cupboards, keeping inside dry and to make it easier to fill it up 😍

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:51 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

20L fresh water tank came as standard on our Triton 430 so not sure as to whether it's an optional extra or not. We only fill it when remaining on site for an extended period of time but for weekend trips away etc make do with a 5L fuel can (new of course) that we use to transport water. It was actually cheaper than a watering can hence the choice.
Having water onboard we find convenient for filling up the old kettle, brushing teeth, washing hands or anything else where a small amount of H2O might come in handy. Yes, the tank does take up storage space as it's located in the front right-hand side bottom locker when looking from the front but there's still room enough for my boots and shoes etc (I don't lug so many about as my other half lol) so the loss of space is no real big deal. There's more than enough in the other spaces anyway.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:00 pm

Quote: Deeps wrote in post #29
20L fresh water tank came as standard on our Triton 430 so not sure as to whether it's an optional extra or not. We only fill it when remaining on site for an extended period of time but for weekend trips away etc make do with a 5L fuel can (new of course) that we use to transport water. It was actually cheaper than a watering can hence the choice.
Having water onboard we find convenient for filling up the old kettle, brushing teeth, washing hands or anything else where a small amount of H2O might come in handy. Yes, the tank does take up storage space as it's located in the front right-hand side bottom locker when looking from the front but there's still room enough for my boots and shoes etc (I don't lug so many about as my other half lol) so the loss of space is no real big deal. There's more than enough in the other spaces anyway.
Understood, and thank you.

Thing is, and I appreciate that your van came with it already in there...

Quote: Deeps wrote in post #29
Having water onboard we find convenient for filling up the old kettle, brushing teeth, washing hands or anything else where a small amount of H2O might come in handy.

But if you've got an Aquaroll the water is accessible equally conveniently by means of either of the internal taps; it's just that the container is outside rather than inside.

So, hypothetically speaking, why would anyone opt to specify an internal tank from new or have one retrofitted?

R5n4-02f LdW17-h ncJ-515

Last edited Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:03 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12510 topics and 105561 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3