Towball Specifications

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:37 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Does anyone actually check the required specs when having a towbar/ball fitted or simply take things at face value?

Looking at the AL-KO 3004 specs there is a requirement for a minimum distance of 60mm between the centre of the ball head and to the point at which the bar starts to curve (see attached image). One paragraph of text accompanying the diagram states - "For UK use, please use the extended neck towball (Type A50-X) provided with this kit unless you have a swan neck towbar with suitable clearance". Yet another paragraph refers to clearances conforming to diagram 30 of 94/20EC.

My new towcar (Mazda CX-5) came with a towbar fitted (see attached image) the accompanying paperwork for which states that it conforms to A50-X but as you can see, the distance from the centre of the ball to the curve section is far less than 60mm. Another anomily is that diagram 30 of 94/20EC shows a distance of 32mm.

Hence the reason for posting this question - does anyone actually check and am I clear to go with my present set-up? As an aside - I took the removable towball along to where the van is in storage earlier this morning, placed it in the AL-KO 3004 coupling and it sits in there as snug as a bug and if I move the towball up and down there appears to be plenty of clearance for any vertical deviation etc when the car and van may not be exactly on the same level.

Edit - no need for anyone to mention the fact that the paint needs to be removed from the ball. I'll do that at the start of the 2016 season before the first tow.

AL-KO Clearances.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Towball.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2013 Triton 430, Mazda CX-5 D-150, AWD AT, Walker Touring Plus awning, Isabella Shadow sun shade.

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:05 pm | Scroll up

RE: Towball Specifications

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:12 pm
by hob (deleted)

I specified an Al-ko tow ball when I had my tow bar fitted but that's as far as I went, not checked to see if it meets the spec but have had no problems with it.

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

RE: Towball Specifications

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:16 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Just an update to my earlier posting. I have this morning received an email from AL-KO in response to my seeking compatibility approval for my Mazda supplied and fitted towball with their AL-KO 3004 hitch.

AL-KO have confirmed that I may use the Mazda towball with the 3004 hitch without any restrictions but that I should removed the colour from the ball before the first coupling. The final part of this I of course was already familiar with. I have printed out their reply and shall place it with the rest of the caravans documentation.

These are the pictures that accompanied my email to AL-KO which are a touch better/clearer than the one above LOL.

P1010423.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) P1010424.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2013 Triton 430, Mazda CX-5 D-150, AWD AT, Walker Touring Plus awning, Isabella Shadow sun shade.
Randa france, Poptop320 and like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12574 topics and 106059 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4