Electric and Hybrid cars

in We've got it down to a T Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:17 am
by T & C (deleted)

Before buying our current vehicle (a diesel Citroen) we looked at some hybrids. When we said we would want a tow bar fitted we were told this couldn't be done as the batteries are housed where the tow bar would be fitted. Subsequently I have heard that the motors fitted to electric and hybrid cars quickly burn out if used for towing - true or false? Given the current concerns about Diesel cars (that are probably best suited to towing) and the advances being made with petrol cars that is making them lighter and therefore less able to tow heavier vans one wonders what sort of vehicle we'll be left with for towing. Any thoughts?

T & C

ERIBA Puck L 230 pushing a Citroen C4 Picasso
Scroll up

RE: Electric and Hybrid cars

in We've got it down to a T Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:30 am
by DaveF (deleted)

Hi - I got a new Volvo V60 D6 plug in hybrid as a company car in July - it was built to order and I specced the factory fitted removable tow bar. We only got the Eriba a couple of weeks ago so I havent towed it far but I have to assume that the car is fit to tow - why would they offer a tow bar if it weren't?
This is a diesel plug in hybrid - it weighs 2 tonnes and has 290 bhp so it is probably not the same as a lighter,petrol,non plug in vehicle - but there are 400 kgs of batteries in the back and they fitted a tow bar to it.

2013 Triton following a Volvo V60 D6 Plug in Hybrid
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:45 pm
by T & C (deleted)

Thank you - that's reassuring, I'm sure Volvo wouldn't have fitted a tow bar if it was't meant to have one and the car is certainly heavy enough.
T

ERIBA Puck L 230 pushing a Citroen C4 Picasso
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:37 pm
by Lunarbri (deleted)

Lexus hybrids can also tow, the 300 and RX models can. What I've found is that the tow bar weight is usually less than, from the size of the car, you might expect, and of course the mptlm.

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 45 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1