The Mighty Mini

in We've got it down to a T Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:07 pm
by Randa france | 12.831 Posts

This article was shared by one of our Facebook friends:- https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/lif...ar-north-woman/

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Ribski, , and Yeadonblue like this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:51 pm | Scroll up

RE: The Mighty Mini

in We've got it down to a T Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:13 pm
by hob (deleted)

What a great story, love it

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:40 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

Proper 'Mini' - proper Eriba ! - great story too .

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:20 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.443 Posts

I had a 1968 Mini when it was about ten years old, great car apart from grinding to a halt every time the rain drove in at the front.
I took that car every where, even sleeping in it one night in Scotland when I couldn't find a B & B, good job I'm only little.

Puck L 225 GT pushing Honda CRV SE 1.6 i-DTEC
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:55 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.598 Posts

I had a 1978 Mini 1275GT, it was a great car, fast with go-cart handling. I traded it in for a Lada Riva...
The 1275GT now go for serious money, if you knew how much things would be worth in the future you would never get rid of anything and be living in a constant time warp.

Here is my Mini 1275GT in Russet Brown..

Mini 1275GT.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:57 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I had one in orange I'll post a picture when I get home

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! 😎

I am above no one and no one is below me
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:12 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Here's a much loved example. I thought of Agger when taking this shot and thought of gifting it to him for Christmas.

B0002365.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2013 Triton 430, Mazda CX-5 D-150, AWD AT, Walker Touring Plus awning, Isabella Shadow sun shade.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:37 pm

Quote: Deeps wrote in post #7
Here's a much loved example. I thought of Agger when taking this shot and thought of gifting it to him for Christmas.

They now call that a barn find and stick another 2k on the asking price, 15 years ago it would be called wreck and charged you to take it away

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:57 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Poptop320 wrote in post #8

They now call that a barn find and stick another 2k on the asking price, 15 years ago it would be called wreck and charged you to take it away

Nonsense - these are what you would call barn finds.

B0002394.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) B0002427.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) B0002454.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2013 Triton 430, Mazda CX-5 D-150, AWD AT, Walker Touring Plus awning, Isabella Shadow sun shade.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:27 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Sorry on 2 counts, I nearly forgot these and secondly for the quality they are over 40 years old and not printed on Velum (which might be a bit cryptic for you!) The more astute will notice different number plates, but it is the same car. I bought it new as a personal export and it had BFG plates adddd (which are the black and white) then before going to Northern Ireland it had them changed to the more normal UK plates hth

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG-20151213-WA0000.jpg 
 IMG-20151213-WA0001.jpg 

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:22 pm

Quote: Agger wrote in post #10
Sorry on 2 counts, I nearly forgot these and secondly for the quality they are over 40 years old and not printed on Velum (which might be a bit cryptic for you!) The more astute will notice different number plates, but it is the same car. I bought it new as a personal export and it had BFG plates adddd (which are the black and white) then before going to Northern Ireland it had them changed to the more normal UK plates hth

The 1275GT came with Dunlop Denovo run flat tyres which were very expensive at the time, they were also impossible to find slow punctures and the side walls were incredibly thick making for an even more uncomfortable ride. Great little car and are they are now fetching up to £15,000 when restored.....

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:18 am
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: Poptop320 wrote in post #11
The 1275GT came with Dunlop Denovo run flat tyres which were very expensive at the time, they were also impossible to find slow punctures and the side walls were incredibly thick making for an even more uncomfortable ride. Great little car and are they are now fetching up to £15,000 when restored.....

I paid over £1600 yes that is correct 1 thousand 6 hundred pounds for my 1st years insurance and that was in 1974! I was a new driver, but had passed my test a few years earlier, I was driving on the continent, so permanent green card, I had a number of endorsments on my license due to being a naughty Agger, I had! to declare I was going to Northern Ireland for over 2 years (part of that being wihin the 1st years insurance), from memory the Mini 1275gt was a group 4 insurance (back in the day when there were only 7 groups), and I'm sure there were other parameters that hiked my price!

I had it modded before I sold it by Oselli engineering in Oxford, spent a lot of money and it was producing 97bhp at the wheels! Not the clutch, made money on the sale as the guy "wanted" my car

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:44 am
by Deeps (deleted)

My first every car way back in 1966 was a 1 year old Mini Cooper that I got for a good price from a shipmate who was being posted overseas. The registration number was 9978 RF - strange the little things one remembers.

Being totally naiave as to vehicle mechanics, at that time I believed that the radiator was similar in construction to a hot water bottle i.e. just a big container. So the following year, following a freezing winters night, I thought it best to check the water and upon removing the cap, sadness gloom and doom, I found it to be frozen completely. Nothing that a screwdriver and hammer wouldn't put right of course and I then set about hammering what I believed at that time to be the upper water level only later to discover that what I at first thought to be frozen water was in fact part of the construction of the radiator.

Life goes on though and finding and filling every spare container that my future wife's parents had dotted around their home in Boston, Lincs, we set off on our journey back south to Portsmouth stopping every 10 miles or so to fill up the now boiling radiator.

Believe it or not, but I carried on repeating this exercise for the next couple of year until mid December 1969. At that time I was driving to the Naval base in Portsmouth to collect my newly issued Passport ready to be shipped out to Singapore the following week. I was approximately 1 mile from the base navigating a roundabout when the dear old girl finally gave up the ghost and seized her 998cc engine. Looking around me I noticed a big sign in the direction of 2 o'clock upon which was painted the words - 'Scrap Yard' and it was here that I ended up pushing my beloved Mini to it's final resting home. Can't remember what I got for her now but I recall being pretty pleased as she was in excellent nick apart from the seized engine which no doubt got sorted.

Upon my return from Singapore a couple of years later I ended up buying a used green Mini van which unfortunately, as a result of my accepting a bet from a bunch of drunken sailors in the rear that I couldn't execute a full accelerator left turn at a country 'T' junction after closing time, met it's demise after going straight over the junction, through a hedgerow and half way across a frozen ploughed field. We all ended up walking back to the base each carrying various parts of the van. It was at that point that I decided that booze and me didn't make for the ideal couple.

1965 Mini Cooper.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Poptop320 and Yeadonblue like this post!
Last edited Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:23 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:06 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

Our son had one in his student days at Cov Poly. It was van and a pale pea green. Did him well for the many trips between there and home.

I enjoyed that Beeb documentary a few weeks back about the mini factory as is and the travels through its design and production. Nothing like the old minis of course. Typically spoiled by their presenters getting in the way.

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Pepe's Walk
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:27 pm
by Randa france | 12.831 Posts

Mini.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

, chezmart and like this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:51 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12470 topics and 105333 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6