Metamorphosis

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:29 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.737 Posts

After yesterday evening's shenanigans, I have decided to revert to my old Eriba Forum nickname of Aaron Calder and to abandon my 'Graculus' identity. This way there can be no confusion as to who I am or what my motives are.

The name 'Aaron Calder' is a play on words as I'm originally from the port of Goole in what is now East Yorkshire. The town was created in 1826 by the Aire and Calder Navigation Company for the export of coal from the West Yorkshire coalfields via the Knottingley canal and rivers Ouse and Humber to the North Sea. When I was growing up it was a very busy place with constant shipping movements and a thriving shipbuilding yard.

I'm proud of my heritage and my new avatar shows one of the now defunct coal hoists at Goole Docks where barges full of coal and known as 'Tom Puddings' were lifted out of the water and tipped into the holds of ships where people like my Uncle Tom, who was a coal trimmer, worked in the holds manually levelling the coal with special, heart-shaped shovels to 'trim' the ship for its journey. It was hard, dangerous work that has now completely disappeared.

Goole is not a place I would recommend as a tourist site but if you are in the area, on a nice day the Docks Museum (where you can take a boat tour of the docks) is well worth a detour.

P1010283.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Brian (or Aaron, if you prefer)

ps: If anyone else wants to change their forum nickname, just ask.

Forum Administrator

Last edited Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:01 pm | Scroll up

RE: Metamorphosis

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:46 am
by hob (deleted)

Brian can you change me to hob without loosing all my posts and my blog ?if so that would be nice I think they all know who I am anyway

Neville

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:47 am
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Well Brian we were sort of neighbours, my grandmother on my father's side came from Laxton. Apparently GGD used to run a cart/taxi into Goole on market days. He was churchwarden too. I've visited Laxton twice in recent years to see where part of me comes from.

PS can you change me back to Steamdrivenandy please and I'll sort a suitable avatar.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.

Last edited Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:49 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:58 am
by hob (deleted)

Thanks Brian I feel happier being me again I've had this name for 13 years now

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:59 am
by Frantone (deleted)

Me too!
Thanks.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:10 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Think I will stay as I am ta

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:12 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Or Mr Cauldron

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:44 pm

Zitat
I've visited Laxton twice in recent years to see where part of me comes from.

I had to think for a moment, Andy, as I'd forgotten where Laxton is. Next village to Saltmarshe, I think?

We went back to Howden (where we lived from 1978 to 1981) a couple of years ago and we were pleasantly surprised. It's a lovely little town. In Georgian times Howden horse fair was the largest in Britain.

How times have changed, eh?

Forum Administrator

Last edited Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:45 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:06 pm

That's the one, tiny little place.

I've never been able to figure out how my Nan got from Laxton down to Kentish Town in North London where she met and married my grandfather. One of her sisters went into service and oddly worked in two grand houses, one near Richmond, North Yorks and the other nr Sheffield. The weird bit is that both grand houses were in the grounds of ruined monasteries and both were Premonstratensian Order. I'd never heard of the order 'til we researched this aunt, there aren't too many of their monasteries about and it's odd she worked at the sites of two.

There was also a brother who took on a farm around Saltmarshe and there's a possibility I may have distant relatives still farming in the area.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:00 pm
by KeithF (deleted)

Hi Brian could I change back to keithf please.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:05 pm
by Randa france | 12.853 Posts

Owzat !!!
There you go Keith.
Personally, I'm thinking of changing mine too but don't know what to? Any ideas???
R

"http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/w/wales-1627.gif"
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:05 pm
by KeithF (deleted)

Thanks Brian

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:07 pm
by Randa france | 12.853 Posts

Oh OK.That was quick. I'll change my name to Brian then. Always wanted to be a snail

"http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/w/wales-1627.gif"
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:50 pm

We could all be Brian, Brian.

Steamdrivenbrian

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:26 pm

You rotten lot! As if Aero Cauldron wasn't bad enough.

Clearly you do not respect my authoritah.

MR04.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Le manège enchanté

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 36 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12499 topics and 105498 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2