RE: The simplest (and cheapest?) front-mounted bike rack fitting.

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:22 pm
by hob (deleted)

Zitat
What I do remember is that the Millenco gauge proved that the commonly used red plastic sprung nose weight gauge was wildly inaccurate.

Got one free with the puck (red plastic) and found the same.

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:07 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.732 Posts

Having noticed a mark on the paint of the bike rack done when I was trying out mounting the bikes, I decided to fit some padding to the tubing to protect bikes and rack and here's the result:

Bikerack16.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The padding is 22mm foam water pipe insulation from B&Q who sell it in 100cm lengths which is perfect for this application with no wastage. I cut the piece in half and then each again to the appropriate lengths before securing them with black cable ties. While at B&Q I also bought a padlock so that the rack mechanism cannot be operated if the van is left unattended with it in place.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the dark grey colour of the insulation is a perfect match for the Eriba's paintwork.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:38 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:33 pm
by felix | 13 Posts

I have followed this subject long before I joined the forum as I thought like many of you £500 was a lot of money asked by AL just to carry your bikes. I contacted a person on the ' Marktplaats ' selling site in the Netherlands who was willing to send me the self same bracket complete with tow ball for 75 euro plus 20 euro postage and a charge from the Bank to send money. I followed your instructions and had my local Blacksmith manufacture the bracket at a cost of £20. Tow ball added for £10 high tensile bolts £4.25.' Result ' Thanks very much, now to buy the recommended Thule bike rack. Photos to follow.

Randa france, , Aaron Calder, Sparks and cruickie like this post!
Last edited Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:32 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Felix.

I'm pleased to hear that you found my article useful.

Forum Administrator

felix likes this post!

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 21, 2016 10:51 am

Just a quick update to say that the new bike rack performed faultlessly on our recent tour.

The rack locates very solidly onto the ball and the bikes are held firmly in place without movement provided their front wheels are secured with bungy straps.

The only downside is that the jockey wheel cannot be operated with the bikes in place so they have to be removed before pitching and replaced after the caravan has been hitched to the car.

Overall, this is a cheap and practical solution to the problem of carrying a couple of bikes on an Eriba and I thoroughly recommend it.

Forum Administrator

Randa france, cruickie and Eribanut like this post!

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:27 pm
by Weeksd (deleted)

Hi

I followed the instructions in this thread and it proved to be a simple procedure. The most difficult part was getting the ironmonger to drill the holes in exactly the correct position but once he'd done that, the rest was easy.

It took a while to position the bikes so that we could get access to the jockey wheel and brake but once we'd figured it out, it was fine. Gaining access to the gas storage area was a little tricky but possible.

We travelled 2600 miles around Europe and it functioned nicely. One problem, however, was when we travelled with a cover over the bikes; the wind resistance put a lot of strain on the carrier and affected the overall balance. In future, I won't use a cover on the bikes whilst travelling.

Another potential problem is that because the caravan bounces up and down and side to side, the bikes go with it, thus putting more strain on the carrier than if it was connected directly to the back of the car. So I'd recommend checking that the bolts are still fully tightened before any long trip.

Another consideration is that the Thule carrier that I used will only take up to 30kg of weight, with each bike being a maximum of 15kg.

Apart from that, it's an easy, fairly cheap solution for carrying a couple of bikes.

Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread; very useful.

Eribanut, Aaron Calder, felix and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:43 pm
by Randa france | 12.831 Posts

Admin. has decided that a copy of this blog entry by Old Surveyor would be useful as part of this thread.

September
Bike rack fitted to front of eriba
Just thought I would share my observations. Made the bracket as per the drawings and all the dimensions are spot on, however my 320gt has only two bolts clamping the jockey wheel bracket in place so 4 holes are not necessary only in my case the lower two would have been needed, wish I had checked before fabrication. I found it desirable to remove the jockey wheel completely and for ease of access the plastic fairing also however the fairing will to need to be put back in place loosely before fitting the bracket.
Started and completed in about an hour looks professional with its rubber gaitor fitted so well chuffed.
Write comment now Author: Oldsurveyor

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:39 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:17 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

And as a non-Admin might I just add that if all else fails or you fall into the classification of having two left hands, Hymer also have a double bike carrier available (Thule) that takes up to 50kg .....http://www.hymer-original-zubehör.c...ger-2-fach.html

Attached is a picture including the newly available Eriba Triton awning with built-in LED lighting. http://www.hymer-original-zubehör.c...2-80-meter.html

Eriba.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:52 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:18 pm

Do you know if this sunshade can be retro-fitted to all new shape vans?

Randa

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:47 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.257 Posts

Re the shade - I don't see why not, and at £800 to £930 as a new fit I would hope a DIY alternative exists.
Re bike carrier - I made a front mounted fixing plate for a Thule carrier and passed it on for a drink to a friend. I have since made version two for my next van, and had it zinc plated and powder coated in a nice mid grey colour. Photos of version one hopefully attached. I would advise if you can get hold of a piece of 10mm or 3/8" thick steel plate you make an mdf template first. At this thickness [8mm or 5/16th would be fine] you do not want to have to hand cut it out twice. A couple of arms to clamp on the front grab handles and around the bike carrier offer a little extra piece of mind.

ColinP1010905-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1010902-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1020009-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1020008-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Thule-970-Xpress-2-Bike-Towball-Carrier-Car-Racks-TH9700.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

eribaless at present, 4th eriba, a 2017 430 on order.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:06 pm

No need to make up a template, the dimensions in my original post in this thread are spot-on.

Forum Administrator

felix likes this post!

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:09 pm

Zitat
Re the shade - I don't see why not, and at £800 to £930 as a new fit I would hope a DIY alternative exists.

What's good about it is that it looks like they've designed it so that it fits far enough around the roof to enable a standard awning to fit if required.

Randa

Last edited Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:05 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:28 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Are you referring to the awning link that I posted, Roger? If so, then available as accessories (Als weiteres Zubehör sind passende Seiten- und Vorderteile erhältlich ) are sides and front if required although no price given for these items.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:39 pm

I thought it worth sharing these photos but will leave others to decide/comment. The guy who designed it suggests that it helps with any gas locker entry problems.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...&type=3&theater

Randa

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:10 pm
by addisb | 169 Posts

Regarding the front mounted bicycle carrier, is there any fear of the forward mounted bicycles connecting with the car itself if say completing a tight reversing manoeuvre ?
Chris

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12470 topics and 105331 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1