2014 tour

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:06 pm
by hob (deleted)

I'm planning a tour for next year but never having toured before I'm not really sure what i'm doing

So far the plan is to be away for 3 to 4 weeks with a mixture of single night stops and spending up to about 5 days at other places'

Another part of the plan is not to be towing for more than about 3 hours in any 1 day

so far it looks like this

map 1.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

And has taken several hours to get that far

Any advise on touring would be useful.

Scroll up

RE: 2014 tour

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:18 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.083 Posts

We don't do 'planning', 'vague idea' is the best we can manage. That anally retentive Randa bloke with all the flags is the chap to talk to.

In your shoes I'd work out your proposed mileage and then see how far into France it would take you. Use Tesco vouchers for the Tunnel (effectively free); get an ACSI card (cost recovered in three nights) and head for the Loire, Burgundy or the Dordogne.

You don't want to be visiting that nasty Wales do you? It's all rain, sheep and people who won't speak English. In France everyone you meet on campsites will be Dutch and they speak English better than what we do, innit.

You know it makes sense.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:56 pm
by Frantone | 2.092 Posts

Allez Hob!

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:55 am
by Hitched (deleted)

Mr Hitched here....we were going to 'do' France 2014 for 4 weeks but that was before we decided to sell the MH. Hopefully we will have our new/ used Eriba so will stick with our Homeland for the first season. Mrs Hitched seems to think that can include Ireland...NOT! We like to use up 4 out of the 5 Annual Leave weeks in one go in the summer to get a real break and then use the 5 th week as separate days tagged onto non BH weekends. I know we live in a beautiful country but it's not so beautiful through steamed up, raindrop covered windows with the aroma of freshly wettened dogs! With limited holidays we need guaranteed weather hence the call of the continent and the ease of Doggie Passports has tipped us over the Channel. There really is nothing like a morning stroll to the French bakers and returning with warm freshly baked croissants to consume OUTSIDE the awning given the warmth of the morning sun....

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:41 am
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Stoppit! That man! Stoppit!

It's the UK. It's November. It's grey and cold and wet outside. Just stoppit

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:54 am

Oh, how true! You are making me itch to be in France again.

So far as the 'guaranteed weather' is concerned, well, in September this year we headed to the Loire and were rained off so we went down to the Dordogne - and were rained off. In desperation we headed south in search of the sun and ended up in Provence where we had lovely weather until our last day when we had a tropical storm of biblical intensity. It wasn't until we got back to the Somme that the sun shone again.

Generally speaking though, if you want the weather, head south but be flexible. That's why we don't book sites but we are fortunate in being retired and able to do what we want, when we want to do it.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:59 am
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I see that Hob doesn't like to get his feet wet, though he'll have to be careful in Suffolk.

In a way the map reminds me of our East Anglian Progress in 2012.

We travelled from home across to Delph Bank, nr Holbeach, then on to Two Mills, North Walsham. Then south to spend a few days at Seckford Hall Hotel, nr Woodbridge which is the hotel we honeymooned at 37 years ago. They kindly allowed us to park Esmerelda in the car park/orchard behind the apartment we stayed in, so we could keep an eye on her. Talking of eyes you should've seen Mrs SDA's when we turned in the gates. It was a total surprise to her. http://www.seckford.co.uk/ . After a few days of luxury we went back to vanning, spending some time at Houghton Mill CC site nr Huntingdon as we headed back west towards home.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:13 am
by Randa france | 7.180 Posts

“ There really is nothing like a morning stroll to the French bakers and returning with warm freshly baked croissants to consume OUTSIDE the awning given the warmth of the morning sun....”
You’ve done it now Lee. That’s inspired us to start our outline plans for next year.

Hi Nev. Looks like a very interesting trip. Our first piece of advice would be not to listen to that miserably old twit Aero Cauldron and his constant spewing of long forgotten Freudian nonsense. He says:
“We don't do 'planning', 'vague idea' is the best we can manage. That anally retentive Randa bloke with all the flags is the chap to talk to.”
"We don’t do any planning", my backside. Wasn’t it as long back as three weeks ago that he was moaning because he’d not received his brand spankers 2014 edition of the ACSI list of campsites? Perhaps he only wanted it to prop up a wobbly leg on his recently installed kitchen units? And as far as his knowledge of Wales is concerned, I doubt he’s ever set foot in that beautiful part of the United Kingdom.

Planning is good. It gives you something to think about during these imminently cold, damp winter nights and something to look forward to. However, be flexible; if you arrive at a place and you don’t like it, move on. If you do like it; stay longer.
The way we start to plan is by locating places of interest in a particular area of the country. I believe you are into engineering so let’s say for example you would like to visit a coal mine like http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/bigpit/
Then research that area for more places to visit before looking around for a suitable camp site.
Another example near your anticipated route in North Wales is: http://www.britainsfinest.co.uk/attracti...ef/80002160CENB
On your way back into England you’ll be passing very close to SDA country and him being a Steam Engine enthusiast, he’ll surely have some good ideas for you.
Another idea and dependent on the time of year you are planning to travel is perhaps to incorporate an Eriba meet into your itinerary. Maybe we’ll organise one for early next year or there’s TEF rally at Callow Top.
That’s enough to think about for the moment but as your plan develops then keep us posted so that others may be able to offer ideas.
R

"http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/w/wales-1627.gif"

Last edited Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:15 am | Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:37 am

Smartarse!

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:52 am
by Crow (deleted)

Why not do the east coast, uphill to Whitby then downhill (to save fuel)
skirting Londinium to the Corwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset Bristol
then home at least you will be following the sun.
I once did a motorcycle run to Grt.Yarmouth then up with the sun across to
the Worms Head to see it set..

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:56 am
Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:59 am
by hob (deleted)

Well that didn't work did it, I thought the idea was I decided where I wanted to go then worked out where to stop and what route would join up the stops find good sites to stay on, places to visit and so on.
What I need are the logistics of doing that and what's more doing it solo hence the daily driving limit I don't want to spend hours and hours behind the wheel of a pick-up truck I can do that any time I like.

I have never been to the Brecon Beacons or south Wales so I thought that would be nice and I just wandered from that start up into Derbyshire and across to Norfolk to avoid coming back the same way and to see a few more places.
Going abroad does not appeal to me as a lone driver, for a start its 160 miles and 3 hours just to get to Dover. I have been to France once driving a car and staying at a farmhouse but the idea of not being to buy a cup of coffee and a bun in a cafe let alone other things because I don't speak a word of the language does not appeal.
Have you ever been in a posh restaurant where the menu is in French ? and had no idea what was on it

I spent most of the last 10 years before I had to retire working 6 day weeks so now I have the time to slow down a bit and just potter and see the things in My country.
Normally a holiday would be renting a house somewhere for 2 weeks going out on day trips and coming back at the end, having a house that goes with me is the bit I need to get my head around.
The weather is not my only consideration and I'm sure it must rain in France otherwise it would be a desert.

I just want to pack the van and have a relaxing time in an environment where I am on the side of the road I'm used to and people speak the same language as me.

Not too much to ask for on my first tour is it?

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:08 am

You stick to your plan Nev. Brecon Beacons are fab. If we're around then we could pop up and meet you. They're just 20 miles up the road.
A little further north and you'll be at Ffffforest Ffffields. One of the nicest campsites in the UK in our humble opinion.
The only thing that would worry me is the 3 hours you've allowed from the Oxford area to Brecon. I'd allow a tad longer just to be sure.
R

"http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/w/wales-1627.gif"
Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:10 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.228 Posts

Quote: hob wrote in post #12
Have you ever been in a posh restaurant where the menu is in French ? and had no idea what was on it
The trick is to eat at places where there's a photo of each dish on a big neon board outside.

Proper haute couture, that is

Quote: hob wrote in post #12
I just want to pack the van and have a relaxing time in an environment where I am on the side of the road I'm used to and people speak the same language as me.

Not too much to ask for on my first tour is it?
No, it isn't.

Don't miss out on Scotland. I don't know if you've been - especially the north west - but don't miss it because you think it's full of ginger-haired blokes in skirts.

It is, but if you go in May there's a better than evens chance of good weather, and you'll miss the midges.

Last edited Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:22 am | Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:11 am
by hob (deleted)

Thanks Roger thats the sort of thing I'm looking for I have been to north Wales and visited the Centre for Alternative Technology while I was there Interesting place but some of their information was not always correct, I bought a small solar powered motor and a solar powered battery charger that didn't (charge that is)

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Mcneild
Board Statistics
The forum has 6768 topics and 62680 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1