RE:Archie's Campings

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:53 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Have I mentioned this on here? Not sure. Anyway on Archies Campings http://www.archiescampings.eu/eng1/ you can download listings of all campsites in Europe in any number of formats. At present I have the French listings installed on my Laptop and as I have a Garmin devices and use both BaseCamp and Mapsource, I have installed the GPX format option. When imported into BC/MS the campsites locations appear as blue flags on the map. The listings are absolutely free and I've often referred to them.
More recently there is also an app available for Android and is compatible with Navigon, Sygic, Google Maps and Open Street Maps. Also available is an app for Applie which also includes Tom Tom in addition to the previously mentioned. These apps do cost though - £1.99 I think.
I personally find Archies Campings very worthwhile especially when travelling with no fixed place in mind (suitable for our member 'Hitched' probably) or when a plan has to change for whatever reason and you end up looking for a campsite pretty quick.
The screenshot (taken when these POI's are viewed in MapSource shows what you can expect.
Overview.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

RE: Places that turned out to be better than you had expected

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:00 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

I will have to troll through my HD as I downloaded Archies Campings some time ago (see what I did there)

We have Garmin SatNav Is it straight forward to download ?

Mike

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:02 pm
by Hitched (deleted)

Forseti

Last edited Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:04 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I have found the Archie's camping locations to be more accurate than some of the other poi collections. (Even in UK)
Although it is free there is a method to make a donation to fund the collection and maintenance of them.
TonyP

Last edited Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:05 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:18 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Eribanut wrote in post #3
We have Garmin SatNav Is it straight forward to download ?

Piece of cake, Mike. Simply choose the area that you want to download from this page http://www.archiescampings.eu/downloadpage/ and save the ZIP file to your desktop.
Open up the ZIP file and as you have a Garmin device and probably use MapSource or BaseCamp, then I'd recommend you choose the Garmin GPX format. Place this GPX file in a location of your choosing on the computer.
Now, either right click on the file and choose to open with one of the Garmins applications previously mentioned or, open up the application first and then go to File > Open and navigate to where you placed the GPX file.
In MapSource click on the Send to Device icon and over they will go. In BaseCamp go to File > Export.
It goes without saying of course that in both cases of Sending/Exporting that the device has to be attached to the computer lol.

Last edited Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:19 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12503 topics and 105516 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1