Eriba Media Centre DONE!

in Detailed "How to" guides for improving or repairing your Eriba Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:55 pm
by BobSheffieldEriba (deleted)

Hi there.
I just thought I'd add a few notes about my recent upgrade to our Puck.
For a few years we have took DVD's on the road with us on Holidays, though they are quite weighty.

I've upgraded to a media centre now.
Equipment..
WDTV Live media player. (eBay for £50)
WD my passport 1tb Hard drive. (Argos £49)
HDMI Cable.
USB Cable.
Velcro strap.
Avtex W164drs (Bought 2 years ago already).

Build...
Dead easy this!
Connect the WD Hard drive to the WDTV via a USB cable. The WDTV powers the WD Hard Drive.
Piggy back the WD Hard Drive to the WDTV via a velcro strap. They are about the same size and look fine like this.
Connect the TV and the WDTV together with a HDMI Cable.

Software....
I use DVD Decryptor to rip DVD's to the WD Hard Drive. It's a fast program.

Use...
There are two plugs required.
1.Avtex TV.
2.WDTV (WD Hard Drive is powered my the WDTV too.)

I can hide the WDTV & WD My passport in the long locker and there is just the HDMI Cable to the Avtex.
I can control the WDTV via my iPhone via an app (WD Remote).
This works by networking the WDTV to your iPhone via "personal hotspot" and it controls the WDTV fine as long as you have some sort of signal from the iPhone.

The WDTV is a great gadget and it will play anything you put through it, unlike the troublesome Avtex TV with its very limited play options.
The 1TB Hard Drive will store around 600 DVD's.
The WDTV will also connect to a network and play streaming TV such as Netflix.

Its worth buying the WD My Passport with the WDTV as its built to be compatible with the WDTV and it all powers down together when the WDTV goes into standbye mode. Other connected hard drives wont!

Its all installed and working fine.

Future plans.
I'd love the TV & WDTV to work from one plug preferably. The Avtex is 12v and the WDTV can be powered from a 12v source. Im not electrical boffin so ive no idea if this could work.

I hope this helps?

Regards Bob.

likes this post!
Last edited Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:50 pm | Scroll up
lockThis thread has been closed

RE: Eriba Media Centre DONE!

in Detailed "How to" guides for improving or repairing your Eriba Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:36 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: BobSheffieldEriba wrote in post #1
I'd love the TV & WDTV to work from one plug preferably. The Avtex is 12v and the WDTV can be powered from a 9v source. Im not electrical boffin so ive no idea if this could work.
Are you sure about the WDTV supply voltage, Bob?

According to WD's FAQ the WDTV in its various forms uses 12v dc.

If it is 12v then you could use the same adaptor to power both the TV and the WDTV provided the current draw of the two units together is less than what the adaptor produces. There are caveats, though...

If, for example, the adaptor produces 6 amps and the total requirement of the telly and the WDTV combined is 4.5 amps then it'd work fine.

It doesn't matter if there is an oversupply - within reason - because the appliance will only draw the power it requires.

It's when the appliance tries to draw more power than the adaptor is capable of producing that you run in to problems; i.e. a telly (or whatever) which draws 4a attached to an adaptor which only produces 1.8a.

The caveats are

a) almost all adaptors have only one output cable

b) the connector at the end of the cable is often proprietary and

c) may not have the same polarity as other similar ones.

In my humble opinion attempting to cobble together an adaptor with twin outputs isn't the best or most reliable solution. You're better off using two separate ones with dedicated cables and connectors.

Last edited Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:03 pm | Scroll up

in Detailed "How to" guides for improving or repairing your Eriba Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:49 pm

I think it might be a 12v supply.
I will edit my post.
I didnt think it would be easy to do this and just go for the two 3 pin plugs instead.

Many thanks for the reply however.

Scroll up

in Detailed "How to" guides for improving or repairing your Eriba Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:36 pm

How about a pin plug with two 12v inputs?
The Avtex has a supplied 12v cable, but what could I use for the WDTV?
The plug for the WDTV states a 12v 2a output.

Last edited Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:38 pm | Scroll up

in Detailed "How to" guides for improving or repairing your Eriba Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:45 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: BobSheffieldEriba wrote in post #6
How about a pin plug with two 12v inputs?
The Avtex has a supplied 12v cable, but what could I use for the WDTV?
The plug for the WDTV states a 12v 2a output.
I'm beginning to get lost too...

Is it that you want to run the WDTV from the caravan's 12v supply while off-grid?

Working on the assumption that the van's 12v supply may be a bit more than 12v (something which the television's 12v stabiliser will already accommodate), what I'm guessing you need is something which inputs 12v or so and outputs 12v steady at 2 amps (or a bit more) to the WDTV.

If that is the case, you probably need a standalone12v stabiliser similar to this, but you still need to make sure that the connector which plugs into the WDTV is the right size and the correct polarity.

rT-7

Last edited Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:57 pm | Scroll up

in Detailed "How to" guides for improving or repairing your Eriba Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:28 pm

I just thought Id add a few photo's of the setup.
I removed the velcro and piggyback the hard drive to the WDTV with two rubber bands as its more snug.
Also got a cheap wifi controller off ebay for £10 which works well with the WDTV.

Ive just now have to rip the DVD collection onto it at 5mins each DVD its going to take some time over the winter.
The 1tb drive will old about 600 DVD's.

Attached pictures:

Last edited Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:30 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12508 topics and 105552 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4