Insurance query

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:25 pm
by Lesley (deleted)

This might be patently obvious, but I'm a bit confused about insurance. I sorted out (or thought I did) insurance a few days ago for our familia (due to collect on Thursday) but I'm confused as to whether touring caravan insurance covers us for any damage that might happen when we are actually towing on the road. So, for example, I know that fire and theft etc are covered when it's pitched or at the storage compound). But if we had an accident or crash when driving and it was our fault, (or someone else's for that matter) would we be covered? Sorry if I'm being dumb. New to this and there seems to be a million small details to think of!

My partner has checked our car insurance, and apparently we have third party towing cover. Does this combined mean we're OK and fully covered?

Our policy is with Look insurance Services - I think I saw someone on the forums recommend them before.

Last edited Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:33 pm | Scroll up

RE: Insurance query

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:48 pm
by Lesley (deleted)

P.s. The policy does state accidental damage cover, so I'm assuming we're OK.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:41 pm
by Pudelwagen (deleted)

I think you'll find that your car insurance will cover third party liability when towing, ie if you injure someone or damage their property you are covered but it will not cover damage to your caravan. Your caravsn insurance should cover damage to the van but not third party liability while towing. In other words, your car and caravan insurance combined should cover you for all liabilities. If in doubt, phone them and ask them.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:37 am
by DBVWT (deleted)

I'm new to caravan ownership this year and had all the same questions running around in my head, as stated I think the combined car/caravan insurance should cover it all.
One thing that I did think of last week though was what would happen if the caravan had a mechanical breakdown? I'm pretty sure that if the car broke down my car breakdown cover would get the car and van home. I suspect though that if the car was fine and the van had (for example) brake problems then the car breakdown company would not be interested.
I was going to investigate this before next years season but if anyone can enlighten me that would be great.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:43 am
by kevandnia (deleted)

I recently looked into my own breakdown cover which was supplied by Honda and found that, yes if the car broke down they'd recover both the car and caravan but that I wasn't covered if the caravan itself was the problem. I looked at both AA and RAC basic cover and this was the same.

Eventually decided to purchase Mayday cover (via Caravan Club and Green Flag). It covers me for both scenarios. It's a bit expensive, especially as i went for the joint option, but I don't wan't the hassle of being stuck in the middle of nowhere with a broken caravan and having to arrange for a low loader or some such vehicle to come out and pick me up.

Last edited Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:43 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:06 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

I have breakdown cover with Green Flag (not Mayday) It covers both the car and trailer (Eriba) in case of breakdown of either unit.
Called them up and asked the question to confirm

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Last edited Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:06 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 44 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3