RE: Harrogate

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:54 pm
by Randa france | 7.180 Posts

Ah bu**er, the Welsh ploy didn't work for a Scottish camper van has just pulled into the emplacement next to us These Scots are awfully thick skinned aren't they?
Wonder if plan B will work? That's to dig out the several pairs of small sized crocs and wellies and throw them about the place outside the van. Add two skateboards, a flat football and a cricket bat. That might frighten them off?
Failing that, it will have to be the ultimate weapon. Four very large George Cross flags, three pairs of Doc Martens and a couple of vests outside the door, two deck chairs and a crate of Lager. Finally, two large dog skewers wound into the ground upon which we'll connect some very thick, long chain and some studded dog collars. That should do the trick

"http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/w/wales-1627.gif"
Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:20 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I thought you kept a pet ddraig in the gas locker for such occasions?

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:51 pm
Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:52 pm
by hob (deleted)

Forget to pack the land mines

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:55 pm

Ohh, that's interesting ! What do others do to repel boarders? OK, this doesn't include Agger for obvious reasons....

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:05 pm

One or two wet muddy bearded collies on long tie-outs works quite well .

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:49 pm
by Pop540 | 1.543 Posts

well the cat threw up right in back window while the opposite caravan were having breakfast and looking over whoops
luckily it happened on a old towel which was placed just incase, so didn't affect us and was a quick clean up
we aired the cat litter box out side to keep things all nice and fresh for sir
after a trip out later we returned to an empty plot
wonder why???

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:41 am
by ellen | 518 Posts

Our German shepherd acts like an electric fence caround us!!

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:23 am
by hob (deleted)

Zitat
decided to take up SDA's suggestion and visit Mother Shipton's Cave.

I'm guessing it was closed off at the carpark end?
When I was there the riverside walk was very pleasant with picnic tables to stop and take in the view, having a small garden myself I was amused to see how one owner had managed to squeeze in a greenhouse
P1090452.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1090455.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:34 pm
by Crow (deleted)

" several pairs of small sized crocs"
I keep our Crocs in the awning in about 2" of water, I feed 'em when the neighbours are looking!

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:11 pm

Sunday Day 6
Decided to take the awning down this morning as the weather is not looking too promising and just as I packed it away, down came the rain.
It's a bit warmer today but I've decided that our 700w mini oil filled radiator is not man enough to heat the Eriba at these temperatures although it's been OK in the past.
Question? How much gas does the Truma gas heater consume? It's working fine but we've never used it except to switch it on now and then to burn off any dust etc. It's not that we're mean but because we run off Camping Gaz 907 bottles we would hate to run out of gas mid way through a camp. Also the fridge, although we've never tried it on gas and probably will never need to but how much gas does it consume?

Sunday evening and off to the bistro again for a roast dinner. Not bad at all for £7.95.

Here's a photo of the other two Eribas we met while on site. The first, a 1993 Triton belonging to Phil and Devina from the IOW. The other is not from York as first thought, but is owned by a nice couple from Hertfordshire.

IMG_9100.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) IMG_9135.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

And what about this for comfort? Eco-Lite? Owned by an elderly couple.

IMG_9131.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) IMG_9132.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Or maybe next time we'll stay here at the Majestic which overlooks The International (Show) Centre and much of the rest of Harrogate

IMG_9134.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Monday Day 7.
This is the bit I don't relish. Negotiating British motorways which are always heavy with traffic. Nose to tail with articulated lorries from all over Europe hogging both the slow lane and the middle lane. The ones in the middle lane always struggle to overtake and stay out there for mile after mile doing about 1mph more than the queue they are trying to overtake
At one point we were in the middle lane and broadside to a lorry in the slow lane who suddenly decided to indicate and pull out. Fortunately I was well aware of the fact that the fast lane was empty as he "pushed" us out there. No apology however, just a series of hand signals to match and trump mine (difficult to give decent signals to show your displeasure while at the same time holding down the horn button and swerving into the outside lane ). I can only consider that he either didn't see the van on the back or didn't know that we're not allowed in the outside lane or was just pig ignorant.
In many places in Europe and particularly in Germany, there are many miles of Autobahns where lorries are not allowed to overtake. It surely makes for safer, less congested travel for everyone.
Tried two motorway services on the way up north and hung on till Strensham Services on the M5/M50 on the way back and there is just nowhere were a caravan can safely park. Yes, there are directional signs leading away from the car parking area but they then just disappear and you end up in a hugely overcrowded lorry park much to the annoyance of one or two lorry drivers.
Absolutely hate British motorways. Roll on next Spring when we can get back to the sanity of mainland Europe.
Anyway, 5 hours return journey and the van (and car) is now full of road salt so I now have to start the process of washing it (them) down including the underside, before wrapping her up again until April. Trouble is, it's a bit too cold to be messing about with hose pipes at the moment.
Definitely NOT a winter camper.
R and A

Last edited Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:14 pm | Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:52 pm
by Frantone | 2.092 Posts

Who's the couple from a Herts then?
Any closer location or a name!

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:13 pm
by Pop540 | 1.543 Posts

its funny you seem to have weather we didn't get, still no snow up here. had a lovely frost last night
perhaps the bad weather followed you from the roundabout
we tend to use the ultraheat and adjust till cosy, the gas is normally a quick boost,to start radiating, unless we have the setting on about 8-10 gas we don't use the fan unless there is water ops in small room
are the camping gaz bottles propane? if not butane stops working at the temp you need it to
much easier to drive through the night, hardly any cars to heed progress, the truckers even flash you back in,
pleased your home safe

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:44 pm

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #27
Who's the couple from a Herts then?
Any closer location or a name!

Did get their names and location but I forgot them I only spoke to them for about 10 minutes and as they were parked in the top corner of the camp site I didn't like to continually go out of my way to visit them in case they wanted a bit of peace (I think it may have been Hemel Hepstead).

Thanks for the advice A. I was thinking of travelling back at night but it would make life so difficult to put the van away when we got home . Not all lorry drivers where the same. There were a few who kept their place and waited for us to pass and also quite a few who flashed us back in. The worst stretch was the M18 and M1.
As for the weather, well, we were nearer to Greater Manchester than you are and you know who lives there don't you?
R

Scroll up

in Where did you go, what did you do, who did you meet? Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:01 pm

Definitely nothing Eco or Lite about that big baby.

Ah the Majestic Hotel, we've stayed there many times, especially when we were house hunting with the family when moving from Herts to North Yorks back in '93. We've also been to lots of Christmas 'do's' there over the years. The gents loo is an enormous marble palace, quite an experience.

I spent 6 months living in hotels in Harrogate, before the family moved up there, staying at various times in the Balmoral, the White Hart, the Crown, the Studley and our favourite the Old Swan. Which is where Agatha Christie was found when she famously disappeared.

That still left the Moat House (now Holiday Inn), the St George and the Yorkshire that are big hotels we didn't use.

We do miss HG, in fact I'm buying Mrs SDA a copy of this http://www.grahamtwyford.com/work/galler...ettysharrogate/ for Christmas.

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Mcneild
Board Statistics
The forum has 6768 topics and 62680 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1