How to: Replace the Pop-top Shockcord

in Detailed "How to" guides for improving or repairing your Eriba Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:24 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.732 Posts

A couple of years ago I drove back from France with a generous chunk of the pop-top canvas squashed outside on the roof (ho-hum!) so I thought I'd best replace the shockcord that pulls the material inside the elevating part of the roof as it is lowered.

For information:

1. The original shockcord on my van (2003 Triton) was 2.5mm diameter but as I wanted a stronger pull I replaced it with 4.0mm obtained through eBay at £5.95 inc postage for 10 metres. [URL=http://www.bouncingrabbit.co.uk/]Bouncing Rabbit shockcord supplier[/URL]

2. I actually used only four metres so I have enough to do the job again - I'd say that on a Triton you need to buy a 5 metre length. (The old, floppy one I removed measured 6 metres so no wonder it wasn't working.)

3.Cut the old cord and tie one end to the new before removing it so you can use it to pull the new cord into place. Don't try to pull it all through from one position, do each corner separately. (Grannies and sucking eggs comes to mind but it makes the job much easier.)

4. You can use any old knot to tie the ends but there are simple knots that permit adjustment so you can get the tension spot-on. Not being a sailor I had to look for a simple guide to tying a suitable hitch. (Tie a loop in one end and then tie a hitch to the loop) [URL=http://www.animatedknots.com/buntline/#ScrollPoint]How to tie a buntline hitch (animated)[/URL]

5. Don't forget to heat-seal the cut ends of the cord to prevent fraying. I used a kitchen gas lighter to do this but a match or cigarette lighter will do the job.

6. Adjust the length of cord with the knot until you have sufficient tension to retract the canvas automatically as the roof is lowered then cut off any surplus cord.

7. Tuck the knot behind one of the corner reinforcements.

All in all, another quick (15 minute), simple but very satisfying little maintenance job.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

, Dockmur, Old Rocker, , , and like this post!
Last edited Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:03 pm | Scroll up
lockThis thread has been closed

Visitors
4 Members and 15 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12470 topics and 105331 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4