New mattress for a fixed bed

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:50 pm
by Pauli (deleted)

Hi there, has anyone ever replaced the fixed bed pads on a Troll 530 or similar with a full mattress from either Duvalay or Jonic. At the moment we have the original pads with a topper but we are going to be touring Italy for about 6 weeks and I don't think I would survive so much time on them!

Scroll up

RE: New mattress for a fixed bed

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:34 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

not for a 530 but I use a John Lewis memory foam topper on the beds in my 540, which I leave permanently made up when touring. It is an extremely comfortable arrangement. Not knowing the 530 arrangements, I don't know whether it suits, but if it does, I can highly recommend it..

http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-luxu...questid=5605323

hth...

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:51 pm
by Pauli (deleted)

Thank you, I will have a look when I'm down in York next!

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:06 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

We also have toppers by Duvavlay, two singles, these came with a zipped fitted sheet, and are on our rear bed which is kept made up all the time.We looked at cheaper toppers but were impressed by the duvalay which we eventually bought at an NEC caravan show where they were on special offer.I think it is worth paying that bit extra for something as important as a comfy bed in our 530 Troll, it might be worth checking out Ikea , I saw that they had a lot of different qualities of topper when I was last there.

Highmiler.

Highmiler
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:42 pm
by Pauli (deleted)

I was hoping someone had tried a complete new mattress but it seems that everyone prefers the toppers but thank you anyway.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:08 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

We had a mattress /slab of foam from here , we spend an average of 6 months a year in the van, and at 100mm thick this was really comfortable

http://www.thefoamshop.co.uk/page/151/FOAM-GRADES-EXPLAINED

we used this

GRADE REFLEX 40 H
DENSITY 40KG PER CU/M
FIRMNESS MEDIUM FIRM
COLOUR GREY
PROPERTIES FLAME RETARDANT MELAMINE FREE
B/S RATING "V" HEAVY DOMESTIC & CONTRACT QUALITY

This is the best grade if you intend to replace Feather / Fibre or DFS type cushion interiors

Recommended uses for this versatile foam include Dinning chair seats , Headboards, Footstools, Window and Bench seating ,Caravan & Campervan seating and mattresses Sofa and Chair cushions. Any application where the foam needs to be medium firm and fatigue resistant

Citroen C4 auto 1.6 Hdi Troll 552 - 2005
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:27 pm
by Pauli (deleted)

Thanks for that I will give them a call

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:32 pm
by campnsnooze | 1.148 Posts

Hi Pauli
We have replaced our seat cushions with a permanent fixed bed in our 430. We at first tried sleeping on the seat cushions but found we were not sleeping well and waking up with backache. Our trouble was that the top end of the bed was about 2 inches wider than the foot end. We looked at buying a foam block but meant we would still have to cover this and wondered if it would be too hot. We started trawling bed shops but found most with springs could not be compressed enough for the narrower end. Then one of the salesmen said the best bet would be Gel-Foam which is much cooler than the latex/memory foam and no springs. We ended up buying a 4'6" Career Matrah, Comfort level 3. As below (not sure the comfort level of this one)

http://www.mrmattress.co.uk/sareer-gel-f...ss#.V7ODlGVBs8Y

We paid £190 for a double. We have never looked back and now have a great nights sleep. We have wrapped the seat cushions and kept just in case we resell and the new owners do not want a fixed mattress. By the way, the hardest bit is getting it in place through the van door!! It also makes getting to the leisure battery more difficult but hope that will be very rarely.

Good luck, Chris

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 49 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0